Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WTF is this shit? Where is my post-apocalyptic winter, Fargo?
c84f3a_a3933927866a4bd597b3c701d5a26391~mv2.webp

here it is

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
You find the direction in this photo bad? We have different tastes I guess. Looks great to me

Mate, the entire live audience at E3 consists of shills. And even they were so stunned by that awful trailer, they forgot to clap and cheer like they are paid for. So this might not be the right time to have a talk about about differing tastes.

The trailer is horrible and the screenshots are vomiting rainbows. If I didn't know what WL3 was supposed to be, I would have no idea what am I even looking at.

Somebody at InXile is tripping balls.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
One of the current industry metas is more colors = better. Of course, that is absolutely imbecilic. These fuckers forgot the craft of making games and don't know what art direction is.

ADL

Prophet
After that trailer I'm real worried about the tone. It seems to be a continuation of a trend I've been extremely frustrated with lately where everything has to mimic Marvel/Borderlands/Deadpool quippy reddit-tier humor and it fucking sucks. This happened to that Justice League movie when Joss Whedon took over, this is going to happen with the X-Men franchise now that it's part of the MCU. This happened with RAGE and Fallout. Nothing can be tonally dark anymore. Not even post apocalyptic shit apparently.

After that trailer I'm real worried about the tone. It seems to be a continuation of a trend I've been extremely frustrated with lately where everything has to mimic Marvel/Borderlands/Deadpool quippy reddit-tier humor and it fucking sucks. This happened to that Justice League movie when Joss Whedon took over, this is going to happen with the X-Men franchise now that it's part of the MCU. This happened with RAGE and Fallout. Nothing can be tonally dark anymore. Not even post apocalyptic shit apparently.
You beat me to the punch. Everything these days apparently has to be infantile, nothing can be serious or adult anymore.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
You beat me to the punch. Everything these days apparently has to be infantile, nothing can be serious or adult anymore.
t74fjx7v8sqz.png

Swigen

Arbiter
Is this really a massive departure in tone from 2? I picked the “raised in a circus” perk in 2 and the game ignored my character design and replaced it with a clown costume.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

It’s not like Wasteland 2 was dark. Besides, I doubt the trailer reflects anything about the actual game. Fargo just doesn’t believe people will buy his RPGs if they’re marketed as such, and he has a tin ear when it comes to promotion. I’m betting no one at inXile liked this trailer, but they thought it’s what stupid normies would like. This trailer was like a dorky kid trying to be cool.

McPlusle

Savant
I'm really not liking this new trend of apocalyptic settings feeling the need to be as obnoxious as possible (Borderlands, Rage 2, this, and to a lesser extent Outer Worlds). I know there's only so much you can do with regards to "personality" when your setting's tone is stone-faced as possible, but it's the end of the fucking world. I don't think I'm going to be partying and Fortnite-dancing like a manchild in the wake of armageddon.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Oh look, its the clown cannibals and cannibals from Bone Tomahawk / Westworld. How original and scarrrrry.
Fairly quick damage control attempts there against their own trailer.

It’s not like Wasteland 2 was dark. Besides, I doubt the trailer reflects anything about the actual game. Fargo just doesn’t believe people will buy his RPGs if they’re marketed as such, and he has a tin ear when it comes to promotion. I’m betting no one at inXile liked this trailer, but they thought it’s what stupid normies would like. This trailer was like a dorky kid trying to be cool.

I'm really not liking this new trend of apocalyptic settings feeling the need to be as obnoxious as possible (Borderlands, Rage 2, this, and to a lesser extent Outer Worlds). I know there's only so much you can do with regards to "personality" when your setting's tone is stone-faced as possible, but it's the end of the fucking world. I don't think I'm going to be partying and Fortnite-dancing like a manchild in the wake of armageddon.

This is a continuation of W2 approach and is used specifically to hide how fucking stupid and incoherent their story, quests and main plot design is, and how bad the writing is.
That was a regular counter argument to all my criticism back then, "But the weirdo, crazy, clown world is a hallmark of Wastaland games!!!" - so any stupid shit goes!

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One of the current industry metas is more colors = better. Of course, that is absolutely imbecilic. These fuckers forgot the craft of making games and don't know what art direction is.
Probably overcompensating for the previous trend where every game was just various shades of brown or grey.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom