Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
people who play 30 year old games suddenly becoming graphics whores
look, it's very simple. the only reason kids don't want to play ultima 2 is because it has old graphics, and also cyberpunk looks pretty which is why it's going to be good.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
people who play 30 year old games suddenly becoming graphics whores

Fuck off newfag, it's not about graphical fidelity, it's about graphical style and aesthetics. Pathfinder: Kingmaker doesn't have the greatest graphics technically, but the graphical style and aesthetics are pretty damn good for what they're suppose to be, it looks colorful without looking cartoony or gaudy. I'd like The Outer Worlds' look much more if they'd made it look like those old technicolor films with rich, vibrant and strong colors, without looking like HDR'd gaudy eye cancer.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Pre outer Worlds

team.jpg

Post Outer Worlds

Tim_cain.jpg

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm still in denial that a Boyarsky game has art direction this bad.
Eh, there's a very real backlash out there against the "50 shades of brown" aesthetic so many Codexers fell in love with when they were 12. And there are still plenty of games that look like that. Other people have been 12 since then, a different look won't kill you.

Quillon

Arcane
It looks far from ugly, and gameplay matters most anyway. If this has the writing and quest design of New Vegas I'll be thrilled with it. We shall see.

It doesn't look ugly in the bullshot trailer, but the game had a lot of technical issues from what we saw at PAX and this trailer didn't reassure me for some reason... hope they have enough time to fix/polish it.

Cross

Arcane
I'm still in denial that a Boyarsky game has art direction this bad.
Eh, there's a very real backlash out there against the "50 shades of brown" aesthetic so many Codexers fell in love with when they were 12. And there are still plenty of games that look like that. Other people have been 12 since then, a different look won't kill you.
Why would you hold up this false dichotomy? The "50 shades of Tumblr" aesthetic of The Outer Worlds is just as bad as the other extreme of everything being brown and grey. The last game Boyarsky directed prior to this was Bloodlines, and that game managed to be colorful and vibrant (especially considering the setting) without looking like an eyesore.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Terrible trailer.

"Someone who can be a villain or a hero ... or a psychopath." ... or a terrible writer !?

Kaivokz

Arcane
Terrible trailer.

"Someone who can be a villain or a hero ... or a psychopath." ... or a terrible writer !?
It's not like that is actually writing from the game, just voice over in the trailer. Besides, the scene was:

Someone who can be a villain
*stabs random villager*
a hero
*performs first aid on some guy*
or a psychopath
*shoots the guy who they just treated*

That's fine and it served the purpose of showing the people who care that you can attack whoever you want. The writing might be bad, but this isn't really an example of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom