Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Alexios

Augur
Patron
The real question is: Which was the more cringeworthy trailer: this or Cyberpunk?

Edit: Just watched the Wasteland 3 trailer, have to add that to the running.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It doesn't look ugly in the bullshot trailer, but the game had a lot of technical issues from what we saw at PAX and this trailer didn't reassure me for some reason... hope they have enough time to fix/polish it.

Dude it's Obsidian, if it doesn't have technical issues then I rule over potato land with a crown of diamonds.

Quillon

Arcane
It doesn't look ugly in the bullshot trailer, but the game had a lot of technical issues from what we saw at PAX and this trailer didn't reassure me for some reason... hope they have enough time to fix/polish it.

Dude it's Obsidian, if it doesn't have technical issues then I rule over potato land with a crown of diamonds.

It would have but they wouldn't dare release a game as buggy as NV at launch but bugs were too glaring in that alpha build at PAX and in this trailer locations seem pretty empty, few NPCs there are, standing around rather than doing something/walking to somewhere. It feels like PoE1 in density and lack of NPC schedules :P Guess I'm more worried about how unoptimized it could be, given how unoptimized Deadfire is so they remove NPCs and shit from levels to make it playable...Anyway there is still time, I'll reserve judgment.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
And arcanum looks better than this? :lol:

Define looks. In strict terms of texture resolution and polygons, obviously it does not. In terms of style however, Arcanum looks approximately 10*(16 squared) times better, since The Outer Worlds is a febrile mishmash of everything that's trendy right now. Beneath that it's a blank template.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I'm still in denial that a Boyarsky game has art direction this bad.

This game's art direction is not bad. This game doesn't have an art direction, a feat previously assumed to be impossible. It looks like a mixture of Overwatch, Bioshock, Fallout 4, Guardians of the Galaxy and Borderlands.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Define looks. In strict terms of texture resolution and polygons, obviously it does not.

Eh. If we get into specifics, Arcanum decides the same amount of detail to everything that's happening on screen at any given time. And the game looks great because of that. The same cannot be said about The Outer Worlds, or any 3D game really (sans Minecraft): you have extremely detailed textures for characters, and the ground they walk on looks like blurry shit.

It's something that really bothers me about 3D games. In Morrowind, for instance, characters seem to be floating above ground because of how blurry the textures are. Slap on a high resolution texture and it seems they actually tread on solid ground.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I really hated the narrator's VO in the trailer... totally sucked away what (very) little gravitas/impact the text might have had. Hope that's not an actual character's voice.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
... "Scheduled scarcity"? Do they mean planned obsolescence?

I really hated the narrator's VO in the trailer... totally sucked away what (very) little gravitas/impact the text might have had. Hope that's not an actual character's voice.
Yes, quite a vocal fryover.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It still astounds me how badly Obsidian designs the characters and NPCs. It seems like they are trying to make them as bland as possible. I dont know how they manage.
Its like there is some sort of secret clique inside the company which refuses any character design that isnt a complete vacuum blandness and maximally forgettable with addition of mandatory nonsense bad hairdos.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
These bits of gameplay in the trailer look like some Borderlands shit.
With variety of melee and ranged weapons, including the "lol, shrinking ray!", to appeal to kids and retards.
Another alerting thing is an emphasis on ability to act as a psycho. So yeah, it looks just like Borderlands with professor dude instead of Claptrap.

McPlusle

Savant
These bits of gameplay in the trailer look like some Borderlands shit.
With variety of melee and ranged weapons, including the "lol, shrinking ray!", to appeal to kids and retards.
Another alerting thing is an emphasis on ability to act as a psycho. So yeah, it looks just like Borderlands with professor dude instead of Claptrap.
Hey, Duke3D had a shrinkray and that game's awesome

unpopular opinion but visuals are not where I think they should be.
I just don't dig this weird funky clowny colorful aesthetic art style

pretty disappointing since obsidian usually is great in this department considering Pillars 1 and 2

S.torch

Arbiter

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
In other streamings they were also trying so hard to put everything like a comedy game acting retarded.

unknown.png

feels like I'm staring at an oblivion character that has gone through way too many mods

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
unpopular opinion but visuals are not where I think they should be.
I just don't dig this weird funky clowny colorful aesthetic art style

pretty disappointing since obsidian usually is great in this department considering Pillars 1 and 2

Yeah. Pillars sure broke the mold with the brown/green palette and forest/dirt tilesets.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Of 4m 29s Megan speaks 1m 20s. Gets a little nervous when the question about release platforms comes up. Dorito Pope, an experienced cock sucker, helps her circumvent mention of the exclusivity - *the* important thing to mention when discussing platforms - and they only say that it comes out on PC and mention the Windows store. Beautiful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom