Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection now on Steam

Tentatively optimistic, except for needing an XBL account.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Halo is a full-on Microsoft series, but not having to deal with that mess of a digital storefront makes the announcement more exciting.

Yeah, it's really nice we don't have to rely on that mess of a digital-storefront and can just buy it from the Microsoft Store.

:positive:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
$10 per game ($5 for ODST): https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/halo-at-e3-2019/

The next question we hear a lot is “how much will the MCC PC games cost?” On PC, we’re excited to confirm that each game within MCC will be included with an Xbox Game Pass for PC subscription as they become available. In addition, each title can be purchased individually – Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 3, and Halo 4 will be offered at $9.99USD on both the Microsoft Store and Steam while Halo 3: ODST within MCC (with a current scope of Campaign only), will be available for $4.99USD. Players will have flexibility to purchase any or all the games at any point along the way as they become available.

So $55 for the set? That's a little disappointing. Sure, they weren't on PC until now, but still. Maybe there'll be some lump-sum discount to bump it down. Not bloody likely but I can dream.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's a lot I guess if you're used to seeing the Xbox disc at Gamestop with a coffee stain on the cover and a faded $20 price-tag, but as a PC only guy I think $10 each sounds fair. Especially since they're remasters, and previews for Reach make it sound like a solid port with a lot of effort put in.

CyberModuled

Savant
First wave of betas for Halo Insider out today. Some new footage as well (it's the same mission as the stream but at least in better quality overall)

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I'm happy they're giving you the option to buy individually. I doubt I'll be getting Reach, and I definitely won't be getting Halo 4. Saves me 20 bucks and I get every game I'd consider worth bothering with.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Halo 4 was made by 343 Studios, who weren't aware that Master Chief was the main character of Halo... when they were working on Halo 5.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But isn't Halo 4 the one with the hottest version of Cortana? I thought she was the whole reason Halo exists. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Halo series consist of AAA desktop stripper applications?

kyle-hefley-cortana-render-01.jpg

Last edited:
Halo was good. Nice music and visuals, and the fact you could drive any vehicle was very cool. Furthermore the different enemies have different tactics which is p cool.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
My cousin had an Xbox, and we played the campaign. It was boring as hell. Then I played it again at my brother's friend's house, and we played 1 v 1's. It was actually quite fun. Seems the multiplayer is the real gem when talking about this game. It's simple and pretty fun. A bit like Goldeneye back in the day.

Anyways, I was fresh off of Resistance: Fall of Man, which is definitely inspired by Halo, so I was beastly at it. My brother's friend was so pissed that he actually called his stupid nephew who won some city tournament to come and play me. I had to remind his ass that I didn't give two fucks about the game or his nephew. Guy was some fat IT, faggot that thought he was good at video games.

Man, I was killing it in MP back when R:FoM was big on the PS3. Anyways, just my experience with Halo. Never played anything else in the series, and after R:FoM, I've not touched a FPS multiplayer. Oh, I also used to play the shit out of Blackhawk Down on MP back in the day.

Last edited:

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
And still no release date. I remember when they said they were aiming for summer 2019 for Reach.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
The halo 1 storyline and reach books were actually pretty decent. It's probably the only notable aspect that makes me enjoy these games. As a pc only player, I want to finish the fight.

How does Reach compare to the other games?

I really liked Reach, for the most part, and I'm looking forward to playing it on PC.

Positives:
Good atmosphere. Felt different from other Halo games (which had great atmosphere) but good in its own way.
Setpieces were excellent. Halo's always been great for setpieces and Reach doesn't disappoint in that regard. But more, the previous Halo games were kind of intermittent in setpieces, you'd have some generic boring hallways or whatever and then see something cool, then more generic stuff then something cool. Reach is a lot more consistent in cool scenery.
Space section. I love sci-fi games set in space, I love boarding action, I love dogfights in space. Good shit.
Gameplay overall was pretty good. I liked the DMR. I liked the jetpacks.
Armour customization.
Multiplayer was alright, for a console game.

Negatives:
That weird thing where they put the crosshair low down in the screen so you have to look somewhat upwards. I know they have some rationale about not wanting to see the ground in front of you but high up areas being a lot more important to see... but I'm accustomed to aiming so that the centre of my screen is where gunfire will hit and naturally orient my screen to line up with the horizon. When the reticle is down low and I have to keep readjusting up... it's really annoying. Hopefully they fix this in the PC version.
Lore nitpick but their portrayal of a MAC is really underwhelming. They're supposed to be really powerful railguns, and their portrayal in Reach is just... eh... it's disappointing and hollow and weak.
More lore nitpicks, the plot of the game retcons out most of The Fall of Reach and not in a good way. Probably for console hardware.
Some people did not like the deployables. I sort of agree. I think sprinting should have been a default ability. I think some stuff like the dome and lockup were mistakes. But the jetpacks were nice.
The grind for armour customization was excessive.
Halsey was a likeable character in the books but they turned her into a cunt for the game.

Most of my other negatives basically come down to "it was a console game with the attendant problems of matchmaking, bad controls, etc" and should be fixed for the PC version.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
What do the MCC versions of Halo 1 and 2 add besides graffix? If it's just graffix, Halo 1 Custom Edition already has modded campaigns that add H2/3 weapons and other stuff to the game, so I don't see a reason not to just play that. And 2 might be easier to just access now as well, depending on whether or not the vista version is easy to install on 7. I'll probably work on getting that to work if MCC doesn't add anything besides graffix to 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom