Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Maybe find some other genre to play and it will hold your attention better. Speaking to lots of NPCs ,some of which won't be really interesting, is to be expected in complex cRPGs.
If you prefer you can just play something like Skyrim where NPCs just say hello and keep on moving to not confuse you

The only RPG i recall having lots of random NPCs with boring ass shit to tell was Shadowrun Hong Kong, that game was a fucking chore to play because of the filler NPCs.
Also Pillars of Eternity with the backers NPCs.

Shit, this is the exact reason why I hate Shadowrun games. And the backer NPCs in PoE were at least clearly tagged so I could stay the fuck away from them.

After giving up on D:OS 1, I bought 2 because it's supposedly an improvement and I'm curious about what I can expect from BG 3.

First impression:
  • nasally ass Disney witch ass voiced NPC starts chatting me up with inane dialogue
  • all dialogue options are descriptions of what you'll say in between asterisks (why on earth?)
  • screen looks cluttered because of all the 3d elements
  • randomly picking up all sorts of shit from the floor and in 3 minutes I'm already reminded of the inventory nightmare D:OS 1
Combat in 1 was competent, not much more than that. I doubt 2 is significantly better. After reading this comparisons to Hong Kong and having to wade through waves of boring NPCs with mountains of dialogue, think I'll just take my refund before I can't anymore.

Poor Baldur's Gate series is about to get the Larian rod :(

EDIT: Does rusty_shackleford tag all posts he disagrees with as "butthurt" or do I have a fan? Editing this in so he can't do it again on a new post. This is what I call a PRO move - GOTCHA BITCH

Last edited:

Terra

Cipher
There's nothing in D:OS2 even remotely comparable to the endless pace-breaking diatribes & soliloquies of POE's backer NPCs or Hong Kong's hub NPCs.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've said numerous times that if the whole game was the starting island, it would have been a great game. All the designers are doing beyond that is just repeating the same tricks.

V_K

Arcane
Speaking of bloat mods, is there any reason to pick reduced bloat over minimal bloat? Or even the one that removes vitality gain altogether?

I've said numerous times that if the whole game was the starting island, it would have been a great game. All the designers are doing beyond that is just repeating the same tricks.
So same as the first one?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So same as the first one?
Good point though I never played the first one beyond Cyseal. So I guess I stopped where I should have. I watched my wife's playthrough, she finished the EE, but didn't see anything that would grab my interest.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I really loved DOS (not EE) but I have to say I am having massive trouble getting into DOS2 (DE). The fact that everyone is a named, fully voice-acted character is a curse, since you never know when someone is a shallow NPC or if they have quest importance.

When the reality is that everyone is a walking bag of XP.

I liked the fact that the "bad guys" have different motivations, but the downside of that is that it makes wanton slaughter not so appealing. So you have to research each guy beforehand and only then decide if you can safely kill them or not.

And the combat is fucked up. You still play the elemental cheese game, 'cept now every enemy plays it too. In combat every random thug knows that my char is in fact undead and proceeds to heal them. Just... how? They were just talking to him as <fellow human> minutes ago!

I is sad.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm giving DOS2 another try.

But the voice I picked is too shit. Can I change it with some savegame editor or any other way? There was no button to listen to the voice more than once, only change it back and forth, which was retarded.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
How to heal my skellington companion? If he eats, he gets damaged. There's no "rest" button.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Skellingtons are healed by poison. Didn't you play the first game? There are also bedrolls which fully heal your party instantly if you're out of combat.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, poison potions will heal him rather than healing potions. Healing spells will hurt undead too, and poison spells will heal them. You get an item at some point which can transform healing potions into poison and vice versa.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Can you respec companions later in game? I picked their classes not in the way I would've liked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom