Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
That they'll only be effective at specific ranges.

At this stage, I am treating throwing knives basically as arrows/bolts. There's a chance to hit or miss a target, but there is no lowering of damage as distance increases. This may change when I get to balancing combat, but for now I'm keeping it simple. Decreasing damage with distance is just a small change in calculations anyway. Also the combat area will mostly be quite small, so there will be no large distances to account for.

Ninjerk

Arcane
That they'll only be effective at specific ranges.

At this stage, I am treating throwing knives basically as arrows/bolts. There's a chance to hit or miss a target, but there is no lowering of damage as distance increases. This may change when I get to balancing combat, but for now I'm keeping it simple. Decreasing damage with distance is just a small change in calculations anyway. Also the combat area will mostly be quite small, so there will be no large distances to account for.
I don't mean a relationship between amount of distance traveled and damage. Throwing knives spin as they travel and it makes a difference whether a target is hit with the butt of the knife vs. the pointy end (ie where is it in its spin cycle).

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
I don't mean a relationship between amount of distance traveled and damage. Throwing knives spin as they travel and it makes a difference whether a target is hit with the butt of the knife vs. the pointy end (ie where is it in its spin cycle).
Oh, okay, but in that case the one throwing the knife can rotate the knife around if he can judge the distance correctly? It must me similar to throwing axes, I guess?

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
When I was a kid I bought a dagger at a renaissance fair (using an 18-year old as a straw buyer) but then my parents took it away when I came home. So please don't have any small blades in your game or else it will cause psychological distress for me. Thx in advance.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh, okay, but in that case the one throwing the knife can rotate the knife around if he can judge the distance correctly? It must me similar to throwing axes, I guess?

Rename the animation to "Throwing Shurikens", ignore the retards and carry on.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
EbqqaDd5.png

ACTUALLY

Bo-shuriken is a throwing knife. They don't spin.

ACTUALLY

The so called "throwing star" was more often used as caltrops rather than thrown. Knife, needle, spike etc. types are the superior choice for actual throws.

ACTUALLY

Even the star shaped hira-shuriken doesn't actually spin when you throw it properly.

Now please change the name of the game to "Throwing knife simulator 2020"

The Old Kiwi

Educated
Similar to throwing axes (any spinning weapon with a single killing direction), the expert knife or axe tosser can alter the amount of wrist snap to some degree, at least at typical alley-fighting range, to alter the spin amount. A great deal of practice is required to learn it, however (as best I rercall).

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Dammit rhuantavan I can’t afford that fancy stuff! Remake it so it will run in DOS 3.2 please.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Dammit rhuantavan I can’t afford that fancy stuff! Remake it so it will run in DOS 3.2 please.

Man, you gotta upgrade. This is a next-gen title.

Wow. Can you use original assets?

I theoretically could, but why would I?
Save time? What are you using now? Making everything from scratch? I should probably read this thread... I saw the OP and was already at full mast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom