Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

a cut of domestic sheep prime

eh. ok, a bit further in and now I realize that the sites are gone once someone investigates them...so I got two...and that was it.

do more unlock later?

oh well, on to the relics.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I am literally in awe of how badly this game is programmed. Recently I upgraded my compute. I decided to give Stellaris another shot,thinking that perhaps all my previous bad experiences resulted from me trying to play it on a fucking toaster.

It's incredible, but the game still lags and stutters. And this happens a rig which plays modern games on high settings. The general slowdown past the first 100 years is noticeable. The game freezes for a while when a new tab is being open. By far the worst offender is the galactic market which takes about 5 second or so to open and freezes for a similar amount of time whenever I make a trade. The tab with slaves even sometimes fail to load properly. Or load at all.

There's no fucking way that a game which is basically a spreadsheet with some (poor) 3D graphics can be such a resource hog. I even doubt that one can be so incompetent and inept to such a hilarious degree. Is this deliberate act on Paradox' part? Punishing us for failing to properly recognise Johan's infallible genius?

That caliphate just can't come to Sweden soon enough.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
It depends on what you consider acceptable I get about 1s per day after 90-100 years and I find that unplayable since there's still a 100 years left until late game.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I will say the slave market is a joke by mid-game. Don't really get stuttering but the game does slow.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
LOL I decides to exterminate some Xeno's for the first time and the entire galaxy shit it pants.

Is displacement the only way to get rid of pops without everyone freaking out?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
LOL I decides to exterminate some Xeno's for the first time and the entire galaxy shit it pants.

Sell them en masse to slave market. No one will be upset much and you'll make some profit. It's the easiest way to rid of unwanted pops

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Sell them en masse to slave market. No one will be upset much and you'll make some profit. It's the easiest way to rid of unwanted pops

Can't use the slave market after the first 100 years or so do to the quality programing done by Sweden's finest. And even if it would load selling a few hundred slaves takes forever.

Its back to my Auschwitz planet I guess.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
You have to esttablish a Galaxy Market first and for that you have to contact as many civs as possible. And AI tend to buy slaves in periods, so nothing for some time and then he'll buy a pack of them. Gradually, all will be sold

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
You have to esttablish a Galaxy Market first and for that you have to contact as many civs as possible. And AI tend to buy slaves in periods, so nothing for some time and then he'll buy a pack of them. Gradually, all will be sold

Nah the tab won't even load up after mid game. Or if it does it goes so slow that it would take an hour to add 200 individual slaves on the market.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Are Relic worlds guaranteed?

I have played a couple of games of Ancient Relics now and I always got the event chain which gives you a Relic world right at the start.

I think it is almost inevitable because there aren't that many different archaeology event chains. So if you survey your starting neighborhood with Map the Stars (always do that) you get so many of them that this particular one is almost guaranteed to be among them I think.

That also means you have an (almost?) guaranteed Ecumenopolis quite early in the game. And those things are just ridiculous.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
LOL some dig sites are ridiculously OP

I thought the "You can now make Gaia worlds" one was awesome, and now I just got a fucking TITAN from a dig site while I don't even have the tech to build destroyers yet.

Some AIs are about to have a bad time.. :)

EDIT: Before I got the Titan my fleet power was "inferior" to everyone, because I focused on the economy and research (as usual). Now everyone is "pathetic" compared to me. :D

stupid stuff aimed at multiplayer =_= in that situation humans would instantly gather and ally against you while we already know that ai will instantly gather and make a line to be vassalized by you.
will they ever learn?

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Actually, a swarm of corvettes can blast the Titan out in no time because of high Evasion
Well, evasion optimized corvette swarms have been OP since the original release of the game, so I am sure that is true.. if the corvettes are at the same tech level:
zwcXZEq.png

I got this while everyone was still mostly on Tier 1 tech and had like 20 corvettes. :lol:

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I actually like this. This is equivalent to a native tribe acquiring guns from some ash-skinned weirdos and then using said guns to exterminate all other tribes in vicinity. It happened countless times in 17-19th centuries, there's no reason to assume it couldn't happen in Stellaris-type setting. Screw multiplayer balance, nobody plays those games in multiplayer.

Last edited:
Does the upkeep bankrupt you? If so then it'd be a funny noob trap.

In any case starbases are the main obstacle early game and a titan would basically delete them. At that point you simply need to match the enemy fleet rather than outnumber them 2:1. And a titan is still probably decent vs. destroyers.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
No. Ship upkeep isn't that high in Stellaris and I always focus on the economy. That thing used half my force limit, though. :lol:

In any case starbases are the main obstacle early game and a titan would basically delete them.
Indeed. At that point starbases were still <= 2K in strength and that ship alone has a strength rating of over 6K. Needless to say that early game starbases get completely annihilated by it.

And a titan is still probably decent vs. destroyers.
It was very decent at mopping up all those 500 to 1K strength neutral mobs who were blocking my expansion paths (yes, I got it that early in the game). E.g. the Tree of Life protectors (1K mob) managed to do about 3 points of damage to it before being blown apart.

Hopefully they won't nerf this. It was hilarious. :lol:

do you know of any updated "monster/pirates waves" mod? if stellaris can't have proper internal politics issues (not even the revolutions whatsitsname mod in hard mode is enough), at least make it have random attacks. vanilla piracy doesn't count, it spawns always in the same system, deploy some defenses and you're done.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
No. Ship upkeep isn't that high in Stellaris and I always focus on the economy. That thing used half my force limit, though. :lol:

In any case starbases are the main obstacle early game and a titan would basically delete them.
Indeed. At that point starbases were still <= 2K in strength and that ship alone has a strength rating of over 6K. Needless to say that early game starbases get completely annihilated by it.

And a titan is still probably decent vs. destroyers.
It was very decent at mopping up all those 500 to 1K strength neutral mobs who were blocking my expansion paths (yes, I got it that early in the game). E.g. the Tree of Life protectors (1K mob) managed to do about 3 points of damage to it before being blown apart.

Hopefully they won't nerf this. It was hilarious. :lol:

Yeah, got the same treatment. Shiny new titan as the very first relic I discovered. Hopefully this thing can spawn for the AI too, leading to some funny replays if the exterminator or assimilator civs get it :D

Played a bit. Performance is definitely smoother. Don't know if its really better (in terms of real time seconds:ingame days passed average), but it definitely feels better. Also the UI lags a lot less. Still, its subpar. All these pop calculations are the definition of embarassingly parallel, yet Stellaris refuses to budge above ~30% utilization of my quad core.

Sadly I didn't get a titan, but I did get a relic world. Digging in it spawned a space creature, but since I already colonized the planet I just let it stay in the system just sitting around doing nothing.

Also as far as I can tell the new sector/AI delegation system is completely bonkers fucked.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
AI get it too.
Does it?

I have never seen any indication of the AI getting / doing event chains. E.g. never saw an AI with an early Ecumenopolis, embracing the Wyrm, having any of the event ships etc.

Like, I get those "repair shipyard" raider ships every single game. That anomaly seems to be extremely common, yet I have NEVER seen the AI with those ships. Or, again, ANY event ships.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Is this game possibly worth playing now for someone who did like 50hours before they started re-designing everything and got bored? The expansion and movement rule changes sounded pretty bad and I don't have any strong opinions about the new economy/pop management, but adding more flavor seems like a step in the right direction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom