Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

RaptorRex888

Learned
After that trailer I'm real worried about the tone. It seems to be a continuation of a trend I've been extremely frustrated with lately where everything has to mimic Marvel/Borderlands/Deadpool quippy reddit-tier humor and it fucking sucks. This happened to that Justice League movie when Joss Whedon took over, this is going to happen with the X-Men franchise now that it's part of the MCU. This happened with RAGE and Fallout. Nothing can be tonally dark anymore. Not even post apocalyptic shit apparently.

You beat me to the punch. Everything these days apparently has to be infantile, nothing can be serious or adult anymore.

Larian is also to blame for this trend, especially with regards to RPG's.

Quillon

Arcane
D8qwcjyUEAAlYch.jpg:large

skyrim chick - tom hardy - harrison ford - some clown

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
After that trailer I'm real worried about the tone. It seems to be a continuation of a trend I've been extremely frustrated with lately where everything has to mimic Marvel/Borderlands/Deadpool quippy reddit-tier humor and it fucking sucks. This happened to that Justice League movie when Joss Whedon took over, this is going to happen with the X-Men franchise now that it's part of the MCU. This happened with RAGE and Fallout. Nothing can be tonally dark anymore. Not even post apocalyptic shit apparently.

I almost feel bad for liking Buffy as a teen, because man did it seep into every crevice of society. Whedon style humor is like the default now, not just in media but from random people everywhere. I still manage to like the Marvel films but their massive popularity really cemented it too, for the long haul.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
That cinematic conversation test video reminded me of such Interplay classics as Fallout Brotherhood of Steel and Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2.

The intention may have been to remind you of the conversations with important NPCs in Fallout 1 & 2.
Whatever their intention was; effect feels closer to those console titles than Fallout talking heads.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You beat me to the punch. Everything these days apparently has to be infantile, nothing can be serious or adult anymore.
Infantile is the name of the market game. It just works. You'll get all the zoomer kids AND a huge chunk of the 30+ manbaby populace, you know the kind that scream and cry whenever a new Star Wars trailer is revealed.

It's the unprecedented comfort and wealth that's behind the decline of western men. Bad times make strong men, strong men make good times, good times make weak men. Soon most men will only play Fortnite, watch anime and decorate their appartments with my little pony plushies. The age of Kali is upon us, it's inevitable.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Have you guys even played Wasteland 1? This series has been super wacky from the very start.

You can like it or not, but pretending Wasteland once has been the serious business makes you sound a little pretentious in my book.

Bohr

Arcane
Don't really have the heart to bash inXile these days, just feel embarrassed on their behalf. They seem to misjudge everything. Torment and Bard's Tale were disasters. While people were waiting for their crowdfunding games they did their 'Daredevil Donut Lad', that Mages thing - ok, helped to pay some bills perhaps. They couldn't even properly distance themselves from an edgy niche community as the big time beckoned, as other devs do all the time, they had to try to reverse gear with an awkward interview after Torment flopped.

Now, with people waiting for news on the game that was crowdfunded 3 years they proudly revealed... that. If the goal was to mix amusing wackiness with just enough info about the game to entice new players it clearly didn't work, given the generally bewildered reception. And Fargo is now frantically sending out tweets about how 'dark and brutal' everything is, scorpitron gifs and enlisting Cohh for damage control. Still, they're part of MS now so if they produce another turkey I guess the brand can be quietly shelved and people redeployed to other internal studios.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Infantile is the name of the market game. It just works. You'll get all the zoomer kids AND a huge chunk of the 30+ manbaby populace, you know the kind that scream and cry whenever a new Star Wars trailer is revealed.

Pretty much. And then you still have the occasional retards who go "it's better than grimdark all the time".

Like anything is grimdark these days, let alone "all the time".

But then again, for soychuggers, if it's not chibi then it's grimdark.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think the defense that "Wasteland has always been wacky" is even necessary in this case.

The thing is, what we see in the trailer - the actual gameplay content it shows - isn't that wacky. The wacky part is just Scotchmo's narration and the music. It's a funny trailer, not a funny game.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Have you guys even played Wasteland 1? This series has been super wacky from the very start.

See? The eternal maga excuse for anything. Its wacky yo!

Im not excusing anything. As i said, you can like it or not (wacky has to be done right too). I just dont think there is a tonal shift that has taken place inside the series because of Buffy or the decline of men or some other shit.

Regarding the trailer: I am... indifferent. It didnt cause outrage in me but it also wasnt funny. Its just a trailer however. Who cares?

Last edited:

Potato Canon

Novice
It's a much better trailer if you turn the sound off. The choice of music was horrible, not really sure who that is supposed to appeal to.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Im not excusing anything. As i said, you can like it or not (wacky has to be done right too). I just dont think there is a tonal shift that has taken place inside the series because of Buffy or the decline of men or some other shit.
I was referencing my earlier post not you specifically.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

So why make a trailer that doesn't represent your game beyond the fact others are doing zany shit trailers? Then again you should also remember Fargo is a STRONG INDEPENDENT DEV WHO DON'T NEED NO PUBLISHER until he does.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Juxtapositions! :o

>We like juxtapositions

The plural is very rarely used so I'd assume he probably doesn't know what that word means.

He fixed it on youtube :hug:

Untitled.png

This is all I got googling "clowns juxtapositions".

The Power of Creative Juxtaposition and the Threat of Clowns

An interview with humorist Chuck Sambuchino

As the saying goes, there are a few certainties in life: death, taxes, and being stabbed repeatedly by a clown.

The first two have no solution, but humorist Chuck Sambuchino provides sage advice on how to avoid the third in his new book When Clowns Attack: A Survival Guide. I talked to Chuck about why clowns are scary, what makes things funny, and how he became an expert on both.

This game already broke me and I see clowns everywhere. Fuck. I need to get off the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
This is what happens when a bunch of Californian hippies make a game set in a cold place.

SORRY XIR, YOUR NIPPLE RINGS WILL FREEZE. XIR?

Are there any games which have gotten the cold freezing climates/weather right? Only one I can think off top of my head is Cryostasis which was made by Ukrainians.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom