Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It still astounds me how badly Obsidian designs the characters and NPCs. It seems like they are trying to make them as bland as possible. I dont know how they manage.
Its like there is some sort of secret clique inside the company which refuses any character design that isnt a complete vacuum blandness and maximally forgettable with addition of mandatory nonsense bad hairdos.
I wouldn't even call that Obsidian's design. This looks like a cross between Borderlands and Rick&Morty. Creatively bankrupt garbage.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From an announcement trailer that racked up millions of views to an E3 trailer with a measly ~200k. This game = marketing malpractice. And it's not just the Epic exclusivity. Why'd they disappear for two months? Why not continue pumping out small bits of news to keep the hype stoked, like Bloodlines 2 with its clan trailers? And that's a game that isn't out until next year. This is the behavior of a company that doesn't want to win.

Maybe nobody gives a fuck. Obsidian have a bright new future with Microsoft no matter what happens, Private Division have their Epic bribe, and Leonard Boyarsky's "dream game" ends up as a red-headed stepchild.

There's still time until October though so maybe they can surprise me by getting their shit together. But a random-ass trailer won't cut it.

Last edited:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I wouldn't even call that Obsidian's design. This looks like a cross between Borderlands and Rick&Morty. Creatively bankrupt garbage.
Its in their every game. I use to think its some kind of one-off issue with the engines or specific game but it just keep going on even when engines and project leaders and directors are completely different. And we know Leonard has entirely different artistic taste and sensibilities.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Its in their every game. I use to think its some kind of one-off issue with the engines or specific game but it just keep going on even when engines and project leaders and directors are completely different. And we know Leonard has entirely different artistic taste and sensibilities.

Reminder:
Interesting to revisit Jedi Master Radek's interview with Leonard from 2016: https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10425

Since the collapse of Troika, have there been any games with an art style that appealed to you as an artist? If so, what are they?

· Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite - felt very akin to the FO/Arcanum aesthetic to me in a lot of ways, and I obviously have a lot of love for both the retro and steampunk genres.

· Dishonored - great job of stylization over photorealism, making their characters and world realistic and painterly at the same time (something we tried and failed to do with our characters in Vampire), plus an interestingly different take on a steampunk type world.

· Wolfenstein New Order - Hmmm... I'm sensing a trend here... loved the feel of their world.

These are all beautiful games in their own right, but they're also all very original and different, which is usually a huge part of whether a game's art appeals to me or not.

That new Cuphead game looks awesome, as well, even though I'm not much into side scrollers.

The clues were there all along!

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There is none of that kind of art here, and i was talking specifically about character faces models.
Dishonored and Bioshock character designs, faces in particular are miles away from these empty non descriptive polygons. It could have been somewhat excused in NV due to the engine, but... its too consistent to be just an accident.

Areas and locations give a bioshock vibe but look as bland oversaturated copies.

Besides, we know who Leonard is and what his art looks like, shitbag.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
From an announcement trailer that racked up millions of views to an E3 trailer with a measly 168k. This game = marketing malpractice. And it's not just the Epic exclusivity. Why'd they disappear for two months? Why not continue pumping out small bits of news to keep the hype stoked, like Bloodlines 2 with its clan trailers? And that's a game that isn't out until next year. This is the behavior of a company that doesn't want to win.

Maybe nobody gives a fuck. Obsidian have a bright new future with Microsoft no matter what happens, Private Division have their Epic bribe, and Leonard Boyarsky's "dream game" ends up as a red-headed stepchild.

There's still time until October though so maybe they can surprise me by getting their shit together. But a random-ass trailer won't cut it.

Cyberpunk is stealing all the bandwidth, so TOW is in a bad company there looking pretty cheap by comparison, but I do agree with what you said.

I still think they should’ve tried to stand out more with a different approach to gameplay (what ever that might mean besides not going for cheap shooter is another story). Branching stories are everywhere these says in one form or another.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I agree, and I thought it impossible, but Obsidian managed to make a Gamebryo game out of Unreal Engine 4. Maybe if this Outer Worlds thing doesn't work out they can always fall back to 'porting' Skyrim to new Xbox console for Microsoft.

Deleted Member 22431

Those Avellone bombshells were really demoralising for the people who worked there. Imagine if you work at Obsidian and read that shit? You think “Whoa! I’m not the only being fucked here!”. It’s the common knowledge phenomenon. It’s one thing to know that the place is being run to the ground, it’s another entirely to know that everyone else also knows that is being run to the ground. Josh would never badmouth the owners if he weren’t forced to eat shit behind doors. Imagine having to carry the owners on your back while they blame you for every stupid decision they imposed on you. Shit, Anthony Davis fucking left and now they have a bunch of unexperienced danger hairs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillon

Arcane
There was some news that TOW's lead programmer pulled from the team to work on their MS project. Is Obs pulling the same shit that MCA said they had with pulling resources from Tyranny to PoE? Could explain the inconsistent jankiness of TOW atm.

source: https://youtu.be/58qKmxO_YfQ?t=1242

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Lots of negativity going on the last several pages...

Time to log into the "Sailor Woedica" account, mods, and do some retarded shilling.

Zep--

ArchAngel

Arcane
I agree, and I thought it impossible, but Obsidian managed to make a Gamebryo game out of Unreal Engine 4. Maybe if this Outer Worlds thing doesn't work out they can always fall back to 'porting' Skyrim to new Xbox console for Microsoft.
They can go into Beamdog niche and start "Enhancing" games.

Terenty

Liturgist
Hasn't Boyarsky any pride? I dont get how he is not ashamed to be associated with this garbage. Is there anyone in Obsidian with a modicum of good taste? How can anyone look at this game and think "yeah, we did good, cant wait to show off our baby" ?

I guess we will never know

And when will we see more gameplay to laugh at ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oh hey, preorders available: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/109666-the-outer-worlds-release-date-and-pre-orders-announced/

Hello future Spacers,

We hope you've heard the exciting news about the release date for The Outer Worlds coming to Xbox Game Pass, Xbox One, Playstation 4, and PC on October 25th, 2019. Not only that, but pre-orders are now available from the Private Division store!

The Outer Worlds website has also been updated to showcase some of the cool companions, weapons, features, and areas. So, stop on by the site and check out all the cool new goodness, brought to you by the Halcyon Holdings Corporation! Noncompliance by HHC employees may result in docked pay.

See you in the future!

But only for consoles right now.

PC stores listed: Epic, GameStop, Windows Store and direct from Private Division.

New screenshots from website: https://outerworlds.obsidian.net/

tow-e3-marauders-01-1920.jpg
tow-e3-ellie-ability-01-1920.jpg
tow-e3-fallbrook-01-1920.jpg
tow-e3-scrapbot-01-1920.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom