Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot - Dragon Ball action RPG by CyberConnect2

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From the developers of .hack series and Naruto video games. Coming this year on PC and consoles.

In this epic retelling, Dragon Ball fans will be able to play through the legendary adventures of the Saiyan named Kakarot… better known as Goku—recounting the beloved story of Dragon Ball Z like never before.

Players will experience Goku’s quest for power, his thirst for a challenge and, above all, his desire to protect Earth from the most fearsome of villains.

Developed in partnership with CyberConnect2, the game (with full title to be announced) will launch in 2019 featuring both Japanese and English voiceovers.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Man Dragon Ball Z story all over again.

I wished they could go to alternate universe or some other twist honestly. The story of DBZ is not only very old but dozen of fighting games have also iterated the plot again again and again.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

I wished they could go to alternate universe or some other twist honestly. The story of DBZ is not only very old but dozen of fighting games have also iterated the plot again again and again.

The original Dragon Ball story would be a much better fit for a game this type.
If they wanted to have the power level jerk off fights of Z, then GT would also have been better.
TBH I never understood why fans always ripped so much on GT. Because it was just :deadhorse:?
Well so was the Buu saga and now Super. Yet they are loving that shit. GT was at least balls to the walls crazy and somewhat different.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I would say the best example of this is the Xenoverse games: Massive improvement could be had if they just stepped out of the source material's shadow to do its own thing and didn't just have the player playing second fiddle and doing constant visits to the completely chewed through story (in away, the whole Time Patrol thing is kind of an example in what a navel-gazing loop the entire franchise is in).

Or heck, just have the balls to just proclaim Toriyama dug himself gleefully into a hole years ago and never managed to get out of it, so you're going to do your own thing and change whatever you please because as long as the characters are in your hands they are yours to do with as you wish and not Toriyama's or anyone else's (maybe do it wearing Lobo's "bite me fanboy" jacket for emphasis). That way we could at least not have the thing move into a new direction instead of just repeat itself to the next Goku transformation. Of course, this won't ever happen, because fanboys are the dumbest creatures in the galaxy and just want the same shit over and over again.

Viata

Arcane
Dragon Ball would be a way better action RPG than Dragon Ball Z. Dragon Ball was all about exploring the world while trying to find the dragon balls, training with the best master, participating in fighting tournament, beating the hell out of the red ribbon group and whatnot. Damn, they really can't make a good Dragon Ball game now. Btw, the Legacy of Goku 2 and 3 for GBA are still some of the best DBZ games.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah original Dragon Ball is very good material for open world ARPG,

With how the story was structured you could even add additional events while Kid Goku journey all over the world.

Heck you can even have some active tools in battle as well with how the Tech RR Capsule was so prominent in original Dragon Ball which will have you take a break from spamming energy ball and teleport hitting stuffs.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This is really the thing. The problem isn't so much that you couldn't work with elements of the basic premise, it's just that Z is the point where Toriyama finds himself in that hole, and his solution was to just keep digging it deeper.

Or like Gripes said, Toriyama ALWAYS blows his wad on the first jerk, even if he gives himself what could in theory be an infinite number of possibilities or options to do.

(Speaking of which, the three video series Gripes made to bitch about Dragon Ball are great, with a sort-of-addendum sidetrack in his Naruto bitching video about why Goku's first fight with Vegeta is the best one in Dragon Ball and better than any in Naruto)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/dragon-ball-z-kakarot-12-minutes-of-e3-2019-gameplay

Bandai Namco debuted 12 minutes of Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot gameplay during the IGN E3 2019 live stream.

The live stream featured Bandai Namco’s Kazuki Kimoto and CyberConnect2’s Ryosuke Hara, who shared more information about the action RPG. Here are the tidbits:
  • Players will be able to relive the story of Dragon Ball Z in overwhelming volume. There will be many meticulously recreated scenes from the original story that players will recognize, as well as some scenes that have not really been depicted before in the way that they are depicted in this game.
  • The game’s look is a fusion of CyberConnect2’s experience in cel-shaded graphics technology and Akira Toriyama’s unique art style. The game also depicts the dynamic shifts of emotions in battle and character expressions in meticulous detail.
  • The game is not open-world. The reason being that the focus is on retelling the story. If the game was open-world, they would have to betray the original work in some form.
  • Each area is gradually unlocked as the story progresses. Each map is quite large, and Goku can fly throughout it freely.
  • Several scenes in which adult Goku interacts with characters from the original Dragon Ball—like Android 8—will be in the game.
  • (What happens for parts of the story where Goku is unable to fight? Will players take on the role of other characters?) While nothing can be said regarding playing as other characters at the moment, the game is focused on retelling the story of Dragon Ball Z, so it will not disappoint the fans.
  • In addition to retelling the Dragon Ball Z story, there are also other elements like sub-stories for Android 8 and so on that fans will appreciate.
  • While nothing can be said regarding whether the game will go beyond the Frieza saga, it—again—will not disappoint fans.
  • The theme of the game is to experience the life of Goku in various ways, such as riding Nimbus, eating, going fishing, hunting animals, and more.
  • In addition to buffs like temporarily boosting attack power, how you manage the eating elements of the game is part of the core game cycle and can result in permanent power-ups and so on.

Okagron

Prophet
Meanwhile i'm still waiting for a sequel to Attack of the Saiyans. Really enjoyed that game.

Tenebris

Scholar
Safe to say we're going to have the Raditz fight as the tutorial as usual?

the game's entertaining. not exceptional, just decent, but entertaining. plenty of activities and systems which keep unlocking days into the game. feels a bit like an ubisoft game, but better. combat system is comparable to xenoverse's, faster, slightly worse controls but more intertwining mechanics, with the lone abusability of the "rage" bar which holds between fights so you could beat some mooks to raise it, heal and then go fight a boss and unleash the most of the damage right from the beginning. speaking of bosses, each one has at least some special super attack which requires a bit of thought to be avoided or worked around.
to address the previous post, raditz is the first boss. i wanted to complain how easy the game felt, then i fought him and he buttraped me 6 times in a row because i wasn't using every tool at my disposal. difficulty is kept steady by the abysmal amount of xp gotten from random encounters (which can be skipped 99% of the times, and with a good aim even automatically won) and secondary quests. some story encounters *will* hurt you if you don't use every move available. but outside of those, yes, it feels rather easy.
as a "dragon ball" game, i rate it "dragon ball/10". only the pc-engine's one came this close (well, because back then it just couldn't do more), it's almost like watching the show itself, but with most of the dead weights cut away. references are everywhere, form the first series too, tens of characters, places, tunes. maps seem small because the characters can fly fast but on foot they're gigantic, with people walking and driving everywhere, and working traffic lights, something cyberpunk with ten times the budget couldn't manage to have.
i'm not a big fan of the show (i liked the first series when it was silly), but i can see a true fan have his mind blown by this. problem is: more than 100 euros for the whole package.

Duraframe300

Arcane
but i can see a true fan have his mind blown by this. problem is: more than 100 euros for the whole package.

LOL no.

A true fan will be annoyed after an hour because so much shit got cut out, including charachter moments*, the open world is shit and barren and a million other reasons.

This game is meh to garbage, as already explained in the other thread.

*Just to randomly recall one. Krilin's first use of the destructo disc being cut, then it randomly being rewarded after the fight. Or being too lazy to model Dr. Gero's Lab. Or a million other details that are missing making the whole thing a soulless recreation of the original cartoon. Which you'd rather be watching anyway when playing.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Still waiting for the perfect Dragon Ball game.

Dragon Ball! then they could do that whole series and build into the next series with the same team. A real RPG fighting thing. Nah lets do more generic shit.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Dragon Ball! then they could do that whole series and build into the next series with the same team. A real RPG fighting thing. Nah lets do more generic shit.

For what they were and what they were on the legacy of goku 2+3 games on gba and Attack of the Sayians on 3DS (Should have been a series covering DBZ imo) were good games.

Kakarot was bad for what it was in comparison.

But yeah, wish that too.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

For what they were and what they were on the legacy of goku 2+3 games on gba and Attack of the Sayians on 3DS (Should have been a series covering DBZ imo) were good games.

Kakarot was bad for what it was in comparison.

But yeah, wish that too.

Yeah those were a giant cocktease because I assumed they would try something like that on the main consoles but they just kept shitting out copies of Budokai and Tenkaichi.

but i can see a true fan have his mind blown by this. problem is: more than 100 euros for the whole package.

LOL no.

A true fan will be annoyed after an hour because so much shit got cut out, including charachter moments*, the open world is shit and barren and a million other reasons.

*Just to randomly recall one. Krilin's first use of the destructo disc being cut, then it randomly being rewarded after the fight. Or being too lazy to model Dr. Gero's Lab. Or a million other details that are missing making the whole thing a soulless recreation of the original cartoon. Which you'd rather be watching anyway when playing.
i see. you must be one of those "lord of the rings is shit because gimli's beard should have been half an inch longer". that's not "being a fan". that's being retarded.

Duraframe300

Arcane

LOL no.

i see. you must be one of those "lord of the rings is shit because gimli's beard should have been half an inch longer". that's not "being a fan". that's being retarded.
No, I'm just someone that actually watched DBZ. And a million (and I'm barely joking here, nearly every scene is missing stuff I remember having watched Dragonball last nearly 12 years ago) of those occurrences add up and make the whole thing feel half-assed. Especially when its trying to emulate the anime so closely.

I'm not even a *true fan* and I notice this shit. I can only imagine its worse for them.

And again just mentioning that Krilin scene. It becomes Krilin's signature weapon throughout the whole series. It's the moment the audience realises *Oh fuck, Kirlin actually still can provide something badass* and the first moment the Saiyans are actually surprised by an earthlings strength, nearly cutting Nappa in half. It's iconic. That's not a *Gimli's beard is too long* moment, regardless of how much you want to pretend it does. Just gone.

And if it was just that scene, fine. But, its constant. But who needs charachter progression and iconic moment you remember? Thank fuck we get the anime car filler episode with Piccolo instead, because memes.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom