Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Or like NWN2, without the shitty camera.

That was pre-patch. NWN2's strategy cam is the most powerful and flexible in the genre. BG3 would do well to employ something similar.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
That was pre-patch. NWN2's strategy cam is the most powerful and flexible in the genre. BG3 would do well to employ something similar.

Could be. It's been a whil and back then my internetconnection was too shitty, to patch my version of NWN2. So maybe I should replay it soon.

Last edited:
I came late to NWN2 but the camera (all of them) is easily the worst aspect of the game. Every time I kept on thinking -- oh if only this was just made in an isometric engine -- not that they added anything to that gameplay wise anyway, except for "cinematic" feels in dialogues and an optionally 3rd Person cam view. Speaking of which, still hopeful that Larian and their system driven approach may teach that very old dog some new tricks not actually seen before.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guess it will be close to D:OS2:

True to the series, it's an RPG in which you control a party of heroes with their own backgrounds and motivations. It's possible that there will be an origin stories system inspired by Divinity: Original Sin 2. In BG3 these may act as a videogame equivalent of a D&D character sheet. "I thought the origin stories were a really good addition to the RPG genre," says Vincke. "like we did them, and it would be strange if we went back on that."

Would've been stupid otherwise.

Link: https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-everything-we-know/

What, because it reuses some of the same general design concepts? Well so do Dragon Commander and Divinity: Fallen Heroes, but one of those is a base-building RTS and the other is a turn-based tactics game.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I came late to NWN2 but the camera (all of them) is easily the worst aspect of the game. Every time I kept on thinking -- oh if only this was just made in an isometric engine -- not that they added anything to that gameplay wise anyway, except for "cinematic" feels in dialogues and an optionally 3rd Person cam view.

Are you kidding me? NWN2's strategy cam is as close as it gets in 3d to a tactical isometric experience. You just lack the basic human intelligence required in order to work it out. I'm dead set serious: you 'tards are on par with those who can't work out Gothic's controls. It's a sure sign of console 'tards that shouldn't be gaming on PCs in the first place. Get out of the genepool, pls.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It would be nice if anyone could compare this with interviews Sven was giving before D:OS2. Was he talking more often about a videogame or about an RPG specifically? Maybe this is just his way of speaking, or maybe this means something about the game that's to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XnNndec12s
"We are just trying to make a really fun videogame..."
"when it comes to computer and videogames, it's always gonna be 'What can I do? What are the limits of the system'..."
"Dungeons and Dragons fifth edition is essentially a modern version of a tabletop RPG, so the things that they put in there we are trying to bring to the videogame"
"So the chance of visualising this and fooling around, and using all of those systems, and some of the favorite systems that are in there, in a videogame is something very cool"

https://youtu.be/8igzue_fNDQ?t=412
"Larian studios was founded to be able to create big epic RPGs..."
"Baldur's Gate III is the biggest game that we've ever done..."

https://youtu.be/Ju12JNh8gJs
"Fifth edition... With, I have to add a few things to that. So, it's based on fifth edition, because we... there's... so, we ported all of the rules to the computer game, then we looked at what worked and what didn't work, they made a game for tabletop, and we are making a videogame, we have to make a fun videogame, so there are some things that don't work that well, but then there's also the aspect that if you're playing tabletop, the imagination and the game master are a large part of it and there's things that just not even described in the ruleset, that you can do, and we had to see how to make it work inside of the videogame, so that was also something that we had to add on top of it, but the core is fifth edition."

"We have all the ingredients to actually make a really good RPG... so, we can still fuck it up, but there is there is a very big drive and passion within the team to make this really, really good."

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
What, because it reuses some of the same general design ideas? Well so do Dragon Commander and Divinity: Fallen Heroes, but one of those is an RTS and the other is a turn-based tactics game.

Come on now, do you really think that they would overhaul the whole game, after naming BG as an inspiration (even if it was Ultima, but details) and making millions with games like D:OS1 and D:OS2, while developing a successor to BG and having made good experiences with those kind of games? That would be stupid, considering what the idea of BG means. I don't know why everbody thinkssuddenly of DA, that's not the kind of game Larian wants to make anymore and not what Swen wants to do. Swen knows what he likes. And he doesn't like Divinity 2, which came the closest to an DA or Elder Scrolls (or Two Worlds *snicker*)- game. Relax people, I think it will be close enough to BG. And then you will hate the writing and the monsterdesign and complaining that your overpowered build doesn't work. Everything will be as usual.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? NWN2's strategy cam is as close as it gets in 3d to a tactical isometric experience. You just lack the basic human intelligence required in order to work it out. I'm dead set serious: you 'tards are on par with those who can't work out Gothic's controls. It's a sure sign of console 'tards that shouldn't be gaming on PCs in the first place. Get out of the genepool, pls.

Deadly serious. I'm not arguing against some of the benefits. However I was constantly reminded of when RTS developers a good decade earlier started adopting 3d. You could see the benefits that may eventually come; but the hassle added on top of it eventually still outweighted that benefit, and the fixed top down static predecessors still remained far nicer to play. Which likely is no coincidence, as Obs at that Point had limited experience with it all. Good ideas; flawed implementations. Unless you are talking about a community mod rather than official patches, anyway.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
AwesomeButton
Well, this is Larian before they launched the DOS KS :

They didn't shy away from showing some game content way before game release too :
https://web.archive.org/web/20120531220546/http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/media.php
the 2012 website

2012 shots
uj2dkiS.jpg

iE43eFC.jpg

hNCOsc3.jpg

Larian Studios unveils Divinity: Original Sin
Welcome back to Rivellon, player, welcome back to this vast world of role-playing. Experience a classic RPG adventure that includes an isometric perspective, strategic turn-based combat and innovative co-op dialog. Return to the days when the realm was young and evil first raised its head. In the wake of a terrible sin, two heroes share one destiny.

Stating at least its combat system principles was one of the main focus of the initial game unveiling and announcement.

Somehow they can't at least clear up whether this (bg3) is even TB or not yet all the retards don't have any common sense about what is going on.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XmTGJ19
"It's a top-down RPG"
"So that should give you an idea of what type of game Divinity: Original Sin is going to be. It's a turn-based, top-down RPG with multiplayer, heavily inspired by the first Divinity, with a large world, with many secrets and lots of things to discover"

So, the Divinities were RPGs, and Baldur's Gate III will be a videogame... :D

Mortmal

Arcane
AwesomeButton
Well, this is Larian before they launched the DOS KS :

They didn't shy away from showing some game content way before game release too :
https://web.archive.org/web/20120531220546/http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/media.php
the 2012 website

2012 shots
uj2dkiS.jpg

iE43eFC.jpg

hNCOsc3.jpg

Larian Studios unveils Divinity: Original Sin
Welcome back to Rivellon, player, welcome back to this vast world of role-playing. Experience a classic RPG adventure that includes an isometric perspective, strategic turn-based combat and innovative co-op dialog. Return to the days when the realm was young and evil first raised its head. In the wake of a terrible sin, two heroes share one destiny.

Stating at least its combat system principles was one of the main focus of the initial game unveiling and announcement.

Somehow they can't at least clear up whether this (bg3) is even TB or not yet all the retards don't have any common sense about what is going on.

Remember that guy who was doing those cool keen commander games, what has he become... It's Sven turning into a scheming evil billionaire too. Corporate secrecy, no devs talking with us anymore(even if we have some newsposter who would shill to death for them given the opportunity , cdkeys and a reasonable bribe) , shady deals with google stadia, forsaking the old audience and classics to make an online competitive action game.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"It's a top-down RPG"
"So that should give you an idea of what type of game Divinity: Original Sin is going to be. It's a turn-based, top-down RPG with multiplayer, heavily inspired by the first Divinity, with a large world, with many secrets and lots of things to discover"

Or it's just less confusing to use the term video game when you're making comparisons with a PnP RPG, and you should dial down the paranoia a little.

AwesomeButton

Patron
"It's a top-down RPG"

Or it's just less confusing to use the term video game when you're making comparisons with a PnP RPG, and you should dial down the paranoia a little.
Yes, it could be that, completely possible. But in the absense of definitive information, hypothesizing is the only thing we can do.

It"Fifth edition... With, I have to add a few things to that. So, it's based on fifth edition, because we... there's... so, we ported all of the rules to the computer game, then we looked at what worked and what didn't work, they made a game for tabletop, and we are making a videogame, we have to make a fun videogame, so there are some things that don't work that well, but then there's also the aspect that if you're playing tabletop, the imagination and the game master are a large part of it and there's things that just not even described in the ruleset, that you can do, and we had to see how to make it work inside of the videogame, so that was also something that we had to add on top of it, but the core is fifth edition."

He may have just confirmed a new Thief.*fabulously optimistic*

:incline:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, I'm not fond of this PR style... Well, at least they're not taking blind pre-order like Bloodlines 2, or worse, Fallout 76.

AwesomeButton

Patron
It"Fifth edition... With, I have to add a few things to that. So, it's based on fifth edition, because we... there's... so, we ported all of the rules to the computer game, then we looked at what worked and what didn't work, they made a game for tabletop, and we are making a videogame, we have to make a fun videogame, so there are some things that don't work that well, but then there's also the aspect that if you're playing tabletop, the imagination and the game master are a large part of it and there's things that just not even described in the ruleset, that you can do, and we had to see how to make it work inside of the videogame, so that was also something that we had to add on top of it, but the core is fifth edition."

He may have just confirmed a new Thief.*fabulously optimistic*

:incline:
Yes, maybe it's a new Thief, with a 300-strong development team.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
They're going TB, it's obvious, why else would have they been selected ?

They're not revealing it yet not to shy away the RTwPtard' generation, guessing they're going to be too hyped to loose interest after they see it in action.

Incline can't be stopped!

AwesomeButton

Patron
They're going TB, it's obvious, why else would have they been selected ?

They're not revealing it yet not to shy away the RTwPtard' generation, guessing they're going to be too hyped to loose interest after they see it in action.

Incline can't be stopped!
I would have considered that probable if it wasn't for the "missing isn't fun" bit.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I cannot for the life of me see why you people take the bit about missing to mean BG3 won't be TB, when Larian's most successful game by far had TB without misses.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Do they still have to do the pcgaming...gamer whatever show on E3?
Yes, It's in roughly 2:45 hours. I don't think it has been confirmed that Larian will be attending or that any new info about BG3 will be shown, but since Swen Vincke was present for some random five minute interviews yesterday I assume he's there for a reason.

Xeon

Augur
I am pretty sure you can miss in DOS, I watched a lot of streams of it and sometimes they missed a high chance.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I cannot for the life of me see why you people take the bit about missing to mean BG3 won't be TB, when Larian's most successful game by far had TB without misses.
Everything is shit until proven otherwise. :D

But seriously, I've listed the things that make me suspicious they are going towards a DA:I gameplay - the dev team enlargement, the focus on production values, the refusal to commit to an answer in interviews.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom