Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder if the weather and temperature will have some kind of gameplay role there.

ADL

Prophet
Have you guys even played Wasteland 1? This series has been super wacky from the very start.

You can like it or not, but pretending Wasteland once has been the serious business makes you sound a little pretentious in my book.
If what Fargo says is true, it'll be better in context but this wasn't in context and this was likely most people's first exposure to the series. Neither of the other games have been advertised like they're spiritual successors to Borderlands the Pre-Sequel. They misrepresented the game plain and simple.

Ravn7

Educated
The trailer reminds me of Far Cry New Dawn and Rage 2. Games with very low user scores. D:OS 2 and Fallout 1/2 were more serious than that. To me, the overall feeling of this trailer was just... stupid. I was looking forward to this game but now I'm somewhat concerned about it.

getter77

Augur
...Well, at least this means that the actual systems driving the characters and the game outright will finally get revealed come Fall with Alpha/Beta access---after all these years of purposefully avoiding the entire lot of it.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
They're trying to market the game to the Xbox audience but don't know how to.
Most people are familiar enough with the original Fallouts to get what type of game this is, they can be more up front about it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
After that trailer I'm real worried about the tone. It seems to be a continuation of a trend I've been extremely frustrated with lately where everything has to mimic Marvel/Borderlands/Deadpool quippy reddit-tier humor and it fucking sucks. This happened to that Justice League movie when Joss Whedon took over, this is going to happen with the X-Men franchise now that it's part of the MCU. This happened with RAGE and Fallout. Nothing can be tonally dark anymore. Not even post apocalyptic shit apparently.

It also happened to The Outer Worlds. Sadly everything is shit. Can't have proper, dark post-apocalypse anymore. The best thing about Fallout, the true Fallout (1997), was that it showed a world that was shit, a world you didn't want to live in. Post-apocalyptic games of today show an idealized world that looks "fun" to inhabit.

hexer

An here we are in 2019. with a Fountain of Dreams remake!

VpR6BP4.gif

S17giDj.gif

cvewCLI.gif

gU0tp7L.gif

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Wasteland would be a bit unremarkable without locations like the network part with Night Terror (although to be fair it would still be a fun game with all these skill uses and well crafted dungeons). I thought a crazy world is something Wasteland 2 lacked, I don't think each dialog line should be a punchline Hollywood style, but a crazy world, weird locations, weird enemies, weird situations (even the gameplay is weird in the network part) is something I expect to see in a Wasteland game.

I have not played it myself yet but from what I've read people unanimally criticized Fountain of Dreams for dumbed-down mechanisms and a lack of content, I don't remember its crazy world getting much hate. I think the game looks very good by the way.

I would play Wasteland 3 if I could create my party from the start, but unfortunately they have all their big BT4/TTON fanbase to buy their game and don't want my money :) (I may eventually play it anyway).

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
If Fargo wants more love from the Codex, he should change his name to “Fargovich”.

Then he can make action games and get praised for it rather than being accused of trying to appeal to the masses with turn based RPGs.

:troll:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Fargo working on dat damage control on twitter.

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times, shame on me, fool me four times, go fuck yourself.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL just watched that E3 trailer and just lost all interest in the game. It looked like some fucking clown world garbage with everyone being freaks and degenerates.

Xeon

Augur
I really hope the game sells a lot if it ends up being good, since I think I read Ziets is leading WL3 game and would like him to do more games hopefully.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is interesting how all those old star devs that were going to bring the magic back and were constantly spewing shit like "The publishers are the reason x game was not as good as we wanted!" or "Now,with kickstarter you the gamers are our publishers.",ended up delivering shit games and selling their ass to the publishers after nobody was ready to believe them again. I do hope both shit companies go down and under. Wasteland 3 will be just another garbage game.

McPlusle

Savant
It is interesting how all those old star devs that were going to bring the magic back and were constantly spewing shit like "The publishers are the reason x game was not as good as we wanted!" or "Now,with kickstarter you the gamers are our publishers.",ended up delivering shit games and selling their ass to the publishers after nobody was ready to believe them again. I do hope both shit companies go down and under. Wasteland 3 will be just another garbage game.
Clearly we were naive enough in the early 2010s to believe a single developer's name alone was all it would take to make video games good again. I know I was. Even Shenmue III, a game I'd been anticipating for literally over half my life, is starting to sour on me. The "magic" was dead all along and never planned to come back. Crowdfunding was nothing more than a scam to reap our sweet nostalgia dollars.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
InXile at least try to do something interesting. The ambition is there, it's just that they simply lack the talent to make it work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom