Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mortmal

Arcane
They're going TB, it's obvious, why else would have they been selected ?

They're not revealing it yet not to shy away the RTwPtard' generation, guessing they're going to be too hyped to loose interest after they see it in action.

Incline can't be stopped!
Why they are selected ? who else could do it ? Bioware is a joke now, obsidian and inxile working at Microsoft shovelware department, Bethesda is a joke too, only left are ubisoft or larian to produce AAA quality games. Always said larian is the new blizzard and i still think it is ..It's not possible for it to be turn based anymore if you listen to the interview you will hear there's an very important multiplayer part. Doesnt' bode well with turn based. I am not making that up just listen to last interview.He doesnt confirm its top down either, nor that there's a aprty of npc. Could very well be a party of players online with some romanceable henchman.Let say a divine spellcaster blonde elf for exemple as healbot and fucktoy.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I am pretty sure you can miss in DOS, I watched a lot of streams of it and sometimes they missed a high chance.
Original Sin 1 had hit chances determined by dice rolls and saving throws while Original Sin 2 removed those in favour of the DOOM-like armour system. The two games look similar at first glance so maybe you were looking at footage of the first game?

jf8350143

Liturgist
I am pretty sure you can miss in DOS, I watched a lot of streams of it and sometimes they missed a high chance.
Original Sin 1 had hit chances determined by dice rolls and saving throws while Original Sin 2 removed those in favour of the DOOM-like armour system. The two games look similar at first glance so maybe you were looking at footage of the first game?
There is still hitting chance in DoS 2. The armour system only makes that you can't CC your enemy right away. It didn't affect whether your normal attack lands or not.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I came late to NWN2 but the camera (all of them) is easily the worst aspect of the game. Every time I kept on thinking -- oh if only this was just made in an isometric engine -- not that they added anything to that gameplay wise anyway, except for "cinematic" feels in dialogues and an optionally 3rd Person cam view.

Are you kidding me? NWN2's strategy cam is as close as it gets in 3d to a tactical isometric experience. You just lack the basic human intelligence required in order to work it out. I'm dead set serious: you 'tards are on par with those who can't work out Gothic's controls. It's a sure sign of console 'tards that shouldn't be gaming on PCs in the first place. Get out of the genepool, pls.
All well and good but where do you stand on elf genocide.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There is still hitting chance in DoS 2. The armour system only makes that you can't CC your enemy right away. It didn't affect whether your normal attack lands or not.

Yeah... normal attacks were all moved to 95% to hit chance. Or even higher if i remember correctly. They fucked that up too.

jf8350143

Liturgist

Yeah... normal attacks were all moved to 95% to hit chance. Or even higher if i remember correctly. They fucked that up too.
Well last time I played(aka yesterday), the hit chance was 85%. I was in Fort Joy and has 0 equipment yet.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well last time I played(aka yesterday), the hit chance was 85%. I was in Fort Joy and has 0 equipment yet.
Yeah, something like that. Its very high from the start.

Hey Swen, can we pet the dog in turn based mode or in real time? Stop fucking around or ill shove that flask up your ass! Then Mike will get out and youll get cemeorphosis...cem...cemanalphosis... butthurt!

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Never followed E3 in 20 years. ALways waited at least a week. Now I'm following it daily and the company I'm most interested in are as tight-lipped as a duck's twat. :argh:
I get the impression the Dodex is a bit fed up as well, as I effectively bumped this thread back up from where it was slacking.

The Bishop

Cipher
Everything is shit until proven otherwise. :D

But seriously, I've listed the things that make me suspicious they are going towards a DA:I gameplay - the dev team enlargement, the focus on production values, the refusal to commit to an answer in interviews.
The biggest indication for me are these quotes:
"...because porting the core rules, which Larian tried to do, doesn't work. Or it works, Vincke clarifies, but it's no fun at all. One of the culprits is missing when you're trying to hit an enemy..."
"You miss a lot in D&D—if the dice are bad, you miss," he says. "That doesn't work well in a videogame."

There are two ways you can interpret this. The optimistic one is that it's not a general statement, and perhaps he meant that dice rolls don't work in the type of video game that he is making. Maybe his game plays something like this:

CluelessWebbedAtlanticridleyturtle-size_restricted.gif

In which case I would agree. Dice rolls or hit chances don't work particularly well in this type of game, namely an action game. You can argue whether this is true, but this is a sensible claim to make.

And the other - pessimistic interpretation would be that he literally means any video game with dice rolls and hit chances doesn't work. Just let that sink in. This makes so little sense to me that I initially waved it off as an impossibility. But apparently there is plenty of people who want to believe that BG3 is in no way an action game. In this case you have to accept that the next installment in BG series is going to be made by people who believe that games like ToEE, Fallout, and indeed both the previous entries of BG are "not fun" and "don't work".

In all honesty, all the fabulously optimistic people here should pray BG3 is some form of action game. Because the alternative is so much worse.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
How exactly did they determine missing is "no fun"? Isn't it a normal part of the game, especially when armor and dodging are involved? Should every hit connect, regardless of where the enemy is and what its stats are because you are such a badass the laws of space don't apply to you?

Efe

Erudite
problem is that hit connects and dice doesnt.
that morrowind example is spot on. if you havent understood it after that post.. dont bother asking imo

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In all honesty, all the fabulously optimistic people here should pray BG3 is some form of action game. Because the alternative is so much worse.
The alternative is something like DOS 2. Leaving aside the issue of how to retrofit D&D for deterministic combat, if it has non-retarded initiative, good itemisation and good encounter design I could see it being fun. Those are a lot of ifs, and the end result wouldn't resemble Baldur's Gate in any case, but hey, Swen is a bro, right?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, I doubt they will say anything more than they decided to say at this stage of their marketing plan.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is just hype generation, they'll wait a bit until they fart in our faces and announce the product for the masses.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And the other - pessimistic interpretation would be that he literally means any video game with dice rolls and hit chances doesn't work. Just let that sink in. This makes so little sense to me that I initially waved it off as an impossibility. But apparently there is plenty of people who want to believe that BG3 is in no way an action game. In this case you have to accept that the next installment in BG series is going to be made by people who believe that games like ToEE, Fallout, and indeed both the previous entries of BG are "not fun" and "don't work".
That's exactly my point too.

How does this sound to you people - "Swen Vincke spent 20 years designing RPGs before one day in 2019 he came to the realization that all his games were actually not fun, because the player could miss". Does this seem like a rational thought process? Could he have meant that missing is not fun in the context of making a game that's anything similar to his past games? I'd say no, he couldn't, therefore, the game he is making now is radically different from his previous games. The rest of the dots you can connect.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
According to the 19th century racial theories to which the Codex overwhelmingly subscribes: post-communist potato fields and the Australian Outback breed a special kind of pessimistic worldview.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom