Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Mark Richard

Arcane
It's bad enough when someone is such a pompous faggot that he insists on italicizing every single computer game title mentioned in his forum posts, but MuscleSpark has taken it too far by italicizing shit that shouldn't be, like company names.

Just cut it out, man. You're not a writer, you're not an editor, and if you're an English major then you shouldn't be trying to broadcast such shameful information to all and sundry.
I only did it for the purpose of legibility, but now I might start doing it to annoy people. :lol:
You tell 'em. Never let anyone stifle your passion for etiquette and protocol, even in the face of overwhelming noogies, wedgies, and Chinese burns. Wrap yourself tight in a cloak of gentlemanly conduct, and even Blaine's flippant disregard for the simple niceties cannot penetrate it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
41J4ygvsjdL._SX306_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I like that this news has generated both "no way it sold that much they're lying" conspiracy theories AND "it should have sold more considering its genre" responses.
Both positions are logically compatible.

It is both possible that the sales number has been inflated because of Epic's guaranteed number of copies sold, and that it should've sold more than that inflated number.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
Satisfactory might have actually sold 500,000+ copies. Sanctum/Sanctum 2/Goat Simulator sold millions of copies. The Steam sales and such factor in, but the Sanctum series is better than people have given it credit for. Both games are fun co-op or solo and look great. The FPS/TD hybrid works well with them. Sanctum 2 is actually an improvement over the first game, despite what people may think (if you play the second then go back to the first, you'll see once you get blocked by your own blocks/towers in your maze and how annoying it actually is relatively speaking). Goat Simulator sold more overall, maybe the numbers came from there, but Satisfactory is more like Sanctum and kinda like Factorio compared to Goat Simulator. I don't think it's total BS. I'd like to hope that Satisfactory is more Sanctum and less Goat Simulator at least. It's one of the few games that make me want to buy anything on the Epic Store. That and Hades. I haven't done it yet though seeing as I'm still irritated with the Epic Store as much as everyone else.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Epic Store nets another exclusive title: Shenmue III.

Which wouldn't be interesting escept for all the promises they made about how it being released on Steam.

The comments on the Kickstarter page are a deluge of anger.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Holy shit the Kickstarter update has 21 pages of comments by backers angry at this move.

This is such a counter-PR move, everyone that backed will remember because they were directly affected. I don't know what the company's thinking.

Btw Deep Silver, that's owned by THQ Nordic right? Is THQ making the decisions directly, or are Deep Silver just independantly being morons? Because THQ just bought Pirahna Bytes FFS...

Sentinel

Arcane
Also, THQ Nordic's titles are coming to Steam: Destroy All Humans, Desperados III, Spongebob, Darksiders Genesis, Biomutant...

Sentinel

Arcane
I could see Vavra accepting money from Epic to finance KCD2 bigger ambitions. But at the same time he seems like a bro so I hope he doesn't.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Maybe Deep Silver will eventaully realize it's shooting itself in the foot and desist from Epic exclusives?

:happytrollboy:

lul who am I kidding

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
God damn, for what it's worth it seems like some publishers who dabbled in Epic's deal saw the damage it has done to their games so they stop doing that. After Observation, Devolver no longer announces any other exclusive, Annapurna's 12 Minutes is on Steam (probably) after Outer Wilds released with no fanfare, Team17 has Hell let Loose and the upcoming Blasphemous on Steam after having Genesis Alpha One on Epic. But meanwhile, Deep Silver double down on this and somehow they made an even scummier move than the whole Exodus shenanigan. I'm fucking impressed actually, they just give zero shit.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
From what I hear, Microsoft took back Outer Worlds from the Epic Game Store, so that won't be an exclusive release there...

EDIT: The info I have isn't 100% certified (at this point), but everything suggests to Outer Worlds on the PC being released as part of M$'s XBox Game Pass instead of the EGS.

Looks to be a "wait and see" news item for now.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom