Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Western great games are dead. Now it's up to Japs and Poles.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Before 2004, the West made: VTMB, Deus Ex, Baldur's Gates, Fallouts, PST, Diablos, Counter-Strike, Dooms, Quakes.

After 2004, the west made: 0 great games.

Japs and Poles after 2004:
- Witcher 3
- Dark Souls
- MGS5

E3 2019, it's Japs and Poles again:
- Elden Ring
- Cyberpunk
- Death Stranding

It's over for the West.

Wunderbar

Arcane
After 2004 the West made:
- Psychonauts
- SWAT 4
- Hitman Blood money, Hitman reboot and Hitman reboot 2
- Orange box
- NWN2 MotB
- Fallout New Vegas
- Dishonored 1-2
- Alien Isolation
- Prey
dozens of them

- Terrorist Takedown 3
- Left Alive

It's over for Japs and Poles!

Tehdagah

Arcane
In the past years it seems that japanese devs got afraid of experimenting and taking risks. Capcom being the worst offender, as now they are basically "Nostalgia: The Company"

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
In the past years it seems that japanese devs got afraid of experimenting and taking risks. Capcom being the worst offender, as now they are basically "Nostalgia: The Company"

That holds for pretty much everything. Legacy rock bands, movie reboots and endless sequels, and even novelists 're-mastering' their old works or resting on laurels.

There's nothing new under the sun, and Global-Corp-Tech-Com Inc is in a mad scramble to make as much green it can before everyone realizes the party's over.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
That holds for pretty much everything. Legacy rock bands, movie reboots and endless sequels, and even novelists 're-mastering' their old works or resting on laurels.

There's nothing new under the sun, and Global-Corp-Tech-Com Inc is in a mad scramble to make as much green it can before everyone realizes the party's over.

Yeah, but you’d expect better from the Japanese. They used to want to be at the forefront of everything.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Yeah, but you’d expect better from the Japanese. They used to want to be at the forefront of everything.

I think the Japanese were great when they were taking western creations and making it unique and weird in their own way. But since all the west makes now is shit, they don't have much to work with.

They never should opened their ports to Commodore Perry. In terms of unique Japanese culture, it was all downhill from there. They should have called his bluff and pulled a Masada. They've been in the west's shadow for so long it has affected their consciences. Look at Kaiju. Kaiju is fear and repulsion from nukes. In terms of metaphor, Godzilla is an atomic bomb. The little Asian fellas have been permanently scarred because we Americans made two of their cities go away. And if you watch Kaiju films, they always do what they never could in real life - fight to the end and come out victorious.

But I wish/hope I'm wrong. I have no dog in the fight when it comes to where games come from. All I know is right now the dog's head is the west, and that means the tail doesn't know which way is downwind from the ass.

Humanophage

Arcane
It's not really the west, but rather only the US: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...e-american-rpg-why-so-few-top-us-rpgs.121674/

It is only getting worse. None of the new entries into the recent poll since then, namely Kingmaker, Grimoire, D:OS 2, Kingdom Come, ELEX, ATOM, or Battle Brothers are American. The only exception is Deadfire. The US is essentially crippled by consoles and their demographic.

Can't say the Japanese are especially great, they're just one of many countries that are decent.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
MSG5 is absolute garbage wtf.

Contente wise, yes (even though there are some very good missions, most of theme just fall flat). This is only applies to TPP though, because GZ doesn't have any of those problems.
In terms of gameplay and AI, absolutely not. You still won't find a better game despite being a 5 years since GZ.
So that qualifies TPP as a mediocre/decent game and GZ as great.

After 2004 the West made:
- Psychonauts
- SWAT 4
- Hitman Blood money, Hitman reboot and Hitman reboot 2
- Orange box
- NWN2 MotB
- Fallout New Vegas
- Dishonored 1-2
- Alien Isolation
- Prey
dozens of them

- Terrorist Takedown 3
- Left Alive

It's over for Japs and Poles!

Nice try here's the actual list of actually great to excellent games Japs have been making since 2004:

serveimage

VJbox.jpg

Echoesboxart_%28Large%29.jpg

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

Nioh-186510-Detail.jpg

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

serveimage

It's over for Western devs.

They are taking their old games and making thme evern better. And I am fine with that. Because of it we got DMC5 which genuinely one of the best Action games made so far.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. For all the experimation that western devs have been making, what did we got out it? Interactive fucking movies and retards that think story is more important than gameplay. Give a me break.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
I somewhat agree. West still makes some great games, but not at the same rate as late 90s/early 00s. Meanwhile, Poland was a desert at the time, but now can make games that sell millions and get 90+ ratings. Japan's only big cultural addition is the Soulsborne series, though. And they squandered Silent Hill & MGS. Not a good trade.

Curratum

What sort of braindead waste of a human being must you be to post such retarded generalizations based on your very limited taste in games and knowledge of releases?

laclongquan

Arcane

Which is why, dawg, you should spend some time exploring the amateur side. I am digging the Vietnamese translation of Chinese amateur novels and it's truly an ocean of shit with occassional nuggets of gold. The year before last is English translation of Japanese amateur.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
its OVER for the west
enjoy your autochess and chinese f2p shooters

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

• Those 3 Pokemon games are very good JRPG's, with fun campgains and fairly complex gameplay mechanics - even more complex and well designed than a lot of WRPG's, at which you'll say I'm retarded and I'll answer: "Go learn about EV and IV training, just for starter's".
  • Viewtiful Joe is simply just a damn fun videogame.
  • Metroid Prime 2 is a worthy sequel to Prime 1 (which was a great game).
  • Resident Evil 4. Good combat mechanics + fine tuned resource management + well designed enemies = great action. A 3 act campgnain, with a variety of challenges, vastly different locations in every act all the while just being such well paced experience. The end-game content (specially The Mercenaires mode) were great. In conclusion, an amazing game.
  • MGS3 is literraly the best game Kojimbo ever made, one that is definetivly great.
  • DMC3, Ninja Gaiden Black and God Hand are stil one the best and most challenging action games out there.
  • The Dark Spire is a spectacular bloobler on the vein of Wizardry 1-4. IMO one the best made by Jap devs.
  • Ninja Gaiden 2 is NGB but whitout any fucking restraint.
  • Bayonetta is the last worthwhile game that Kamya made.
  • Everyone here knows why DeS, DS1 and DS2 are good.
  • Dragon's Dogma has the best enemy design of any action game in a fantasy setting. Plus the combat system is good to say the least and magic is done right. Add to that an unique class and pawn (the game's companion's) and it's not far fectched to call it a very good game.
  • Metal Gear Rising. Nanomachines son!
  • I already explained in my first post that gameplay and AI wise there still isn't a better military type game than MGSV. And that Ground Zeroes doesn't suffer from Phantom Pain's lack of equally good content.
  • NIOH is at least as good as Severance.
  • Zelda BotW is the best open world game to come out since New Vegas.
  • Mario Odyssey is the best 3D Mario since 64.
  • Monster Hunter World is the best in the series.
  • Megaman 11 is an excellent return to from.
  • DMC5 is way better than DMC3.
  • Smash Ultimate is as good as Melee - so a cool fighting game (although I still prefer Melee).
So yeah, I am being serious.

Nier Automata is overrated crap.

The game has.... other assets. :smug:

I do agree the game is overrated though, but it's not trash. The combat is fine and for every 2/3 boring missions there's 1 which is pretty fun.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom