Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I guess Epic has already contributed one positive thing to PC gaming.

Microsoft is now putting their games on Steam too because they've seen that this is going to be a good business move in the light of all the hate on Epic's exclusives.

Now we're gonna get the Age of Empires Definitive Edition remakes outside of the Windows Store, too!
Does one need to sign up for any Microsoft service to play those games on Steam?

abija

Prophet
God damn, for what it's worth it seems like some publishers who dabbled in Epic's deal saw the damage it has done to their games so they stop doing that. After Observation, Devolver no longer announces any other exclusive, Annapurna's 12 Minutes is on Steam (probably) after Outer Wilds released with no fanfare, Team17 has Hell let Loose and the upcoming Blasphemous on Steam after having Genesis Alpha One on Epic. But meanwhile, Deep Silver double down on this and somehow they made an even scummier move than the whole Exodus shenanigan. I'm fucking impressed actually, they just give zero shit.
You sure is not just epic not paying for those other releases? For a small studio, epic guarnteed sales are just a very very good deal. And you can also re-release 1 year later on steam, preferably with a big update. If game is any good it would make bank on steam release too.

Gerrard

Arcane
Look at Shenmue 3 and then look at Yakuza Kiwami 2 and explain to me how the latter can be a game that came out 2 years earlier.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Klei Entertainment is following my advice. If you have to do Epic exclusivity, give people free Steam keys later. So simple, so obvious: https://steamcommunity.com/games/601840/announcements/detail/1610514097397241772

Alpha and the Epic Game Store
As with our previous games, we will be running an Alpha period in order to iron out the kinks. We have partnered with Epic to bring the Alpha of Griftlands to the Epic Game Store exclusively for one year, and will launch in Early Access on Steam next June.

Early Access on Steam and Early Roadmap
In June of next year, we will be releasing Griftlands into Early Access on Steam. Anyone who purchased on Epic will get the game on Steam for free, and vice versa.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Klei Entertainment is following my advice. If you have to do Epic exclusivity, give people free Steam keys later. So simple, so obvious: https://steamcommunity.com/games/601840/announcements/detail/1610514097397241772

Alpha and the Epic Game Store
As with our previous games, we will be running an Alpha period in order to iron out the kinks. We have partnered with Epic to bring the Alpha of Griftlands to the Epic Game Store exclusively for one year, and will launch in Early Access on Steam next June.

Early Access on Steam and Early Roadmap
In June of next year, we will be releasing Griftlands into Early Access on Steam. Anyone who purchased on Epic will get the game on Steam for free, and vice versa.
Dang, Griftlands would've been the perfect name for a game that went Epic exclusive with no refunds.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
He's right.

He's right that developers and publishers should want a bigger cut. However whether he's right that that outweighs the possible ill will of excluding Steam is another question. I have no answers, because despite the internet rage we really have no idea just how many people care THAT much. If it's a sizeable number though, you may end up losing more than you gain from the higher revenue split. Borderlands 3 and other "big" releases should give us more information.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
He's right.

Reneging (AKA going back on your word) is never the right choice, unless the original circumstances have changed such that it's clearly necessary to do so—for example, if you've promised people Oreos, but in the interim Nabisco starts using poop in the Oreo batter.

Reneging due to additional circumstances introduced after you've made your promises is disrespectful, unethical, and just plain faggy. Making promises to people in exchange for their donations and then reneging because someone bribed you to do elsewise, while arrogantly proclaiming you refuse to offer refunds no less, is solidly in reneging faggot territory.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckepic/comments/bzfxnf/kickstarter_says_the_shenmue_3_key_change_to_epic/

rt70tvtxor331.jpg

Drakron

Arcane
I was expecting this when I noticed who was the publisher.

I will say this whole situation will impact crowdfunding because people will look at a project and think if they arent going to sell to Epic or whoever comes with money and ignore the backers entirely, that backers just exist as a pitch for investers that I suppose many knew deep down that was true but this is hard to ignore because the way they act.

I am however interested what happens when the other shoe drops because people have memories and its obvious that EGS isnt going to overtake Steam any time soon and what Steam response will be because eventually they do have to say "you cannot use us for marketing and forums for a game we arent allowed to sell" and then they will be reduced to the EGS ecosystem that is right now ... non-existing because there is no EGS community, I also wonder what happens not if but when Epic starts cutting their losses and stops these exclusive deals with these publishers now having to face backlash of having to sell their games on Steam and other platforms.

The whole "its a business" ... well when people go to a doctor they dont expect to have their organs removed to be sold because the doctor needs to make money, there are limits and they are really walking that line.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Lower percentage FROM WHAT? It's crowdfunded game. People already "bought" it for full price and more on kickstarter. Without steam cut.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
It seems like most publishers/developers don't care about their reputation nowadays, and neither does The Epic Games Store.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It seems like all those old japanese developers really needed big japanese boss to keep them in check and force them to make games. Every kickstarter from retired big japanese names ended in disaster.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It seems like most publishers/developers don't care about their reputation nowadays, and neither does The Epic Games Store.
Reputation with gamers? Like, who cares? Gamers are toxic, didn't you know?

The store is not for gamers, it's for their money only. Little do they know that one comes with the other.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Pretty weird watching Valve and Kickstarter let Epic ravage their customers' anuses like this, especially since this kind of inactivity is just going to hurt Kickstarter's own business. No one is going to want to crowdfund anything anymore at this rate f you can't be guaranteed at least some level of security.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom