Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

E3 2019 - Official Codex Thread - June 6th to 13th - Press Conferences, Trailers and Interviews

SlamDunk

Arcane
Vávra is the man :salute:

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Why did games start using cgi trailers again?

I'm not sure they ever stopped. In the early E3 days I do remember seeing lots of videos and pics of devs/publishers showing off handpicked demos and letting rep journos and fans get a closeup preview of the final product. That was before the whole thing got hoodwinked into becoming a billion dollar carnival freak show. Why care about the games when we can watch Sam Jackson yelling at people and Keanu Reeves driving around in a giant lego car?

hexer

I think they've started using CGI trailers again because the advanced rendering technology is on the verge of merging with game engines.
Today, it's a piece of cake to make a scene in game engine and render it out through OctaneRender to make it look more photo-realistic.
It's more like... we can do it easily, so why not?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Okay, whatever you say china man.

Chinaman: Battlechess is coming to Epic Game Store!
Host: Sir, please abandon the stage

I thought it was pretty funny, that when the Chinaman got on stage Twitch chat started spamming the Tianamen Square -copypasta.
Oh God, the way that guy "spoke" english was a disaster. I literally only understood a few words. I just can't understand why don't asian developers learn english, instead of embarassing themselves everytime they are on stage.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay, whatever you say china man.

Chinaman: Battlechess is coming to Epic Game Store!
Host: Sir, please abandon the stage

I thought it was pretty funny, that when the Chinaman got on stage Twitch chat started spamming the Tianamen Square -copypasta.
Oh God, the way that guy "spoke" english was a disaster. I literally only understood a few words. I just can't understand why don't asian developers learn english, instead of embarassing themselves everytime they are on stage.
I'm not sure if it's the case in other countries, but in Vietnam, English pronunciation was and still is very minimally taught from high school to college, and since teachers don't git gud in English speaking skill, students have no reason to, most people who are well versed in speaking funnily enough learn it from video games, movies and audiobooks, not from education. My boss has been working with English native speakers for +15 years, has 10/10 writing, yet when he engages in conversations even in relaxed manner, he keeps stumbling in random words all over again. Not to mention that English's phonological system has a lot of oddities compared to the one belong to our mother tongue.

Whenever our partners from Indonesia, Thailand and Taiwan have a meeting in our office, it becomes a real noisy zombie hive, and somehow we still manage to understand each other :D

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It's just there's literrally fucking nothing. Most games with some hype behind have already been anounced at last year's E3.
And there's just no gameplay shown for both those and the few game's with some potential that did get anounced this year (like the From's and Mikami's title).
Devs can launch all these teasers and CG trailers any time of the year (which is a better move to do it anytime of the year except at E3, since your competing with so may others). What's the fucking point of this conference if not to show gameplay footage and give interviews on it?

The game's concept is cool, but you can already see how they fucked it up. Every different PC should have a different set of abilities and playstyle, but instead everyone is athletic, can hack and fight (even the 70 year old lady can knock out 20 year old's that tower over her).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the fucking point of this conference if not to show gameplay footage and give interviews on it?

I think the trend is to only show trailers in the press conferences and save the real gameplay footage for interview sessions during E3.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What's the fucking point of this conference if not to show gameplay footage and give interviews on it?

I think the trend is to only show trailers in the press conferences and save the real gameplay footage for interview sessions during E3.

Nowadays don't AAA Devs already have a shitload of press only events?
I mean even last year didn't CDPR host an event were journos could play game or they showed then an hour of gameplay footage?
E3 has been about the companies showing their game's to the audience since the Expo's inception. Pre-rendered trailers just really fit that.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The game's concept is cool, but you can already see how they fucked it up. Every different PC should have a different set of abilities and playstyle, but instead everyone is athletic, can hack and fight (even the 70 year old lady can knock out 20 year old's that tower over her).

Actually if you look closely, they are pretty distinct. Notice how the old lady walked into the police station while nobody noticed? I'm pretty sure her ability to slip through police officers is a trade off for her limited mobility. She can't sprint, she mantle much slower than the other two, she seems to only be able to perform takedown from behind with taser or by pistol whip (doubt the devs really let a grandma karate chop trained police officers right in front of their face).

The third lady is an Enforcer, great combat ability, flashy takedown animation, can use lethal weapons well, act very professional. The first guy is an Infiltrator, I think the ability to turn invisible after choosing "resist" is exclusive to that class. Dude's obviously not a fighter, he jumped on those officers like a drunk anarchist and stumblef after mantling over object. My guess is the Enforcer class resembles the violent vigilante style of the first game, the Hacker route took the desired playstyle in the second game but now a bit more challenging, and the Infiltrator serves something between both.

My point is they don't really look that similar to each other. This system is a mix of Driver San Francisco (let you "hijack" NPCs cars), Far Cry 5's guns for hire mechanic (let you hire randomized gunners with different traits), Watch Dogs 1's profiling NPC and Watch Dogs 2's NPCs manipulation. Sure it looks ambitious as hell and might not be that varied, but I'm personally inclined to see what the game can achieve considering WD2 had crazy amount of details in both the world and interactions.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
It's just there's literrally fucking nothing. Most games with some hype behind have already been anounced at last year's E3.
And there's just no gameplay shown for both those and the few game's with some potential that did get anounced this year (like the From's and Mikami's title).
Devs can launch all these teasers and CG trailers any time of the year (which is a better move to do it anytime of the year except at E3, since your competing with so may others). What's the fucking point of this conference if not to show gameplay footage and give interviews on it?

The 70 year old lady uses a taser to take out enemies, not brute force or fighting techniques.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Just learned that Ori gets sequel nice. First one was worth it for the music alone.

Pixel HOMM also nice.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I really can't imagine London, beacon of peace and freedom, turning into a surveillance state with mass riots.
The big question is who is going to be the archdictator. Is it going to be Boris Jonson or Farage?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom