Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://ffviiiremastered.square-enix-games.com

New 3D models similar to FF 9/10/12 remasters.

Coming in 2019, FINAL FANTASY VIII Remastered marks the 20th Anniversary of its original release with a new visual refresh and brings the game’s beloved story to modern platforms: Steam, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. With overhauled visuals, see your favorite characters come to life like never before!

Last edited by a moderator:

Falksi

Arcane
Now this is one that needed a remaster. Some great elements marred by a few key awful elements.

The big one is the draw system. What a pile of shite & waste of time. No point casting spells, spend hours drawing from enemies to power up, just totally killed combat.

If they change this, and sort a few other minor bits out, it could be well worth the purchse.

laclongquan

Arcane
YESSSS~

We need the remaster because our screen are soo much bigger than 20 years ago. Full screen would have grainy images.

Fucking finally!

And I dont agree with the modding here and there. If you let them mod god know when it arrive. Just a remaster and DONE! Graphic works should not take that much time. We need it fast. We dont need it changed, mostly because changed = more time = less chance to release.

hexer

I'm mostly interested in these remasters because of SE ongoing support.
Some of the older games are hell to setup on newer computers.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://gematsu.com/2019/06/final-fantasy-viii-remastered-announced-for-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc

The remaster includes renewed character models and the following new system features:
  • Battle Reinforcement: Keeps HP and ATB at maximum, allowing special skills to be activated at any time.
  • No Encounters: Turn on / off battle encounters.
  • Triple Speed: All scenes advance at three times the speed (excluding movies).
Additionally, the PC version offers the following additional features:
  • Obtain All Items: Obtain all items, excluding some items.
  • Obtain All Abilities: Learn all obtainable G.F. abilities.
  • G.F. Level MAX: Max out obtainable G.F. Level.
  • Gil MAX: Max out Gil.
  • Magic MAX: Max out obtainable magic stock.
  • Obtain All Special Skills: Learn all special skills.
  • Obtain All Cards: Obtain the maximum amount of cards, excluding rare cards.

OBr1MM4.png

DLHNBUA.png

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Ironically the ability to turn off encounters is the biggest cheat imaginable in FFVIII.

Now this is one that needed a remaster. Some great elements marred by a few key awful elements.

The big one is the draw system. What a pile of shite & waste of time. No point casting spells, spend hours drawing from enemies to power up, just totally killed combat.

If they change this, and sort a few other minor bits out, it could be well worth the purchse.
Yea, Draw would work if you either always had the maximum benefit from slotting the spell (though you'd still probably want 99 Draw since the way you spend eternity Drawing is utter insanity), but best if you only had to Draw a spell ONCE and could otherwise use Draw to cast spells you don't have slotted.

It also ties in with the other big issue with FFVIII's combat, which is that you absolutely never ever wanted to fight if you could avoid it because of the way the enemy scaling skewed so hard against you.

Easing up on the min-maxing with GFs could also be beneficial, since it either makes you fuck up out of ignorance or you use a guide and know the optimal combinations that unlock every Junction.

And worst of all, they need to (at least give the option to) change the way the utterly moronic way Triple Triad rules can spread and some of the even more moronic rules.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
FF 8 still has the most enjoyable OST of all FF.

The posted Man with Machine Gun above.

The boss theme.

Dollet theme is one of my favorite:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I believe the most important thing to note about FFVIII is that using PS1 tech it manages to create a more convincing and atmospheric large scale battle scene than anything Bethesda has managed to cobble together with far more resources and tech.

laclongquan

Arcane
The dancing ballroom scene is very nice, dont get me wrong.

But the battle scene of fighting in the air while the schoolship flying over everyone else fighting on the ground (after the assassination of witch in galbadia) is much cooler, especially considering the techical limit of the days.

mogwaimon

Magister
Ewww, Squall's new model alone turns him from angsty teen warrior to his new standard anime pretty boy look. I can't wait to see how they fuck up the art direction for the rest of the game, I mean the new models look good and Quistis looks somewhat faithful to the original but it's Square Enix, not Squaresoft; they're gonna butcher it.

Sometimes, less is more.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Isn't this the one you cheese by running away from everything after gathering spells to cheese your stats while staying sub level 10?! Hard pass...

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Isn't this the one you cheese by running away from everything after gathering spells to cheese your stats while staying sub level 10?! Hard pass...

If you play it like a retard, don't complain the game is retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom