Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hhmm, maybe other games can learn from this. Imagine BG3, Minsc starts yelling "Go for the eyes..." and a miniature Keanu Reeves pops out of his pocket.

Quillon

Arcane
C&C like in which direction to shoot and when to pull the trigger

Well there was a meeting you could skip, you could pay for the robot on your own or just slaughter them and take it, which was what ended up happening, you could take corpo's money and didn't use the chip and all the confrontation scenes could have gone south. So many shit could be done differently granted they showed only one playthrough.

Only ways to not get impressed by the C&C in the vid is either you are determined to shit on the game anyway because whatever, or you don't believe there'll be many quests this complex. I'm on the latter camp.

Last edited:

Siel

Arcane
Patron
1560264475912.png

Beowulf

Arcane

If they really changed directions in the last 10 months and those aren't just meaningless buzz words. I'd get behind kicking the game out of RPG forums.

But aren't there any floating damage numbers when you hit someone?
Those are the signs of deep rpg games systems working beneath, so it should stay in the RPG forum among other recent great RPG examples, like Horizon Zero Down (which apparently has enough floating damage numbers).

Quillon

Arcane

If they really changed directions in the last 10 months and those aren't just meaningless buzz words. I'd get behind kicking the game out of RPG forums.

But aren't there any floating damage numbers when you hit someone?
Those are the signs of deep rpg games systems working beneath, so it should stay in the RPG forum among other recent great RPG examples, like Horizon Zero Down (which apparently has enough floating damage numbers).

First they got rid of classes, which initially they planned to do; there was a screenshot of a presentation which even listed a tactical mode for combat. Anyway, they simplified the formula with no classes & open progression but they showed that gameplay vid, which told us there'll be branching quests etc. still an RPG in my book. Now if they really cut all the promised C&C in favor of a linear cinematic story... well fuck them. But I'll believe it when I see/when they confirm it.

Won't there be a AMA this week?

Quillon

Arcane
checked the official forums:

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...from-game-description.11007682/#post-11565388
Cyberpunk 2077 will be a true RPG. There will be choices and consequences, character development, dialogues and many other features that define the genre. Don't worry!

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...-from-game-description.11007682/post-11565631
kofeiiniturpa said:
Would you open up a bit on what this phrase means to you people at CDPR?

I wondered it a year ago already when it was thrown around.
For us RPG means that it's not just telling a story, but letting players be a part of it. It's about character development and freedom of choice - making tough decisions and facing their consequences. It's everything you'd know from our previous games and more - since Cyberpunk allows us to explore entirely different setting and give you more freedom regarding customizing your character.

NullFlow

Savant
It's a bizarre decision to make action-adventure take precedent over RPG, because RPGs aren't some obscure genre or built to be particularly obtuse, especially AAA games. Especially with how hard CDPR try to be the premier RPG dev and say "We make RPGs" a mantra they repeat every damn minute, or still label it a RPG in genre.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah this seems kind of pointless. This game is a big fucking deal, they don't need to play these branding games.

Just call it an RPG even if the only roleplaying is dialogue options, it'll be okay.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Wow. Keanu is really bad at acting angry. He shouldve just calmly said all that.

He is mostly a shit actor that gets by because he doesn't come off as an asshole. That's why garbage like Johnny Mnemonic end up being so funny, because his acting is both terrible but also so earnest it becomes chuckle worthy. I think that's what makes him likable, that he actually genuinely tries and doesn't have that "douchebag" vibe a lot of other actors seem to have.

That's why all considered he is probably a good choice for this game because he'll actually take his role seriously and won't just go "ha ha i'm a big celebrity doing some stupid game hurr durr let's just meta the shit out of this".

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ofc I am! What gave it away?

If you're one, pls tell me if the Collector's Edition sold in Poland at CDPR store is in Polish or English (box, manual, artbook etc) or if you can choose the language.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That old gameplay is ... old. There were talks about changing and adjusting all of it. And visuals of actual gameplay look better then back then.

Have the article about e3 closed demo begun popping up yet? That will be a better indication if anything is drastically changed.

btw, the scene with the ice in a bathtub, thats your liquid cooling, of course. badum-tshh. hah.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah this seems kind of pointless. This game is a big fucking deal, they don't need to play these branding games.

Just call it an RPG even if the only roleplaying is dialogue options, it'll be okay.

Me thinks they are doing this much like they did it for TW3. They didn't say this is TW3 but The Witcher: Wild Hunt even logo itself looks more like that instead of tw3. So for hardcores they say rpg and for everyone else look it is new gta !

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
First they got rid of classes, which initially they planned to do; there was a screenshot of a presentation which even listed a tactical mode for combat. Anyway, they simplified the formula with no classes & open progression but they showed that gameplay vid, which told us there'll be branching quests etc. still an RPG in my book. Now if they really cut all the promised C&C in favor of a linear cinematic story... well fuck them. But I'll believe it when I see/when they confirm it.

Won't there be a AMA this week?
Over a six years development period CDPR reached the conclusion that they cannot into class based RPGs.

A point of order.

This may have been to avoid brand confusion between this, and the new version of the TTRPG. Yes, they're the same IP, but the latter has used "The role playing game of the dark future" as a tagline for decades, so maybe they wanted it back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom