Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was The Nameless One's original crime?

hexer

I remember being upset by the plot hole with Fell.
Fell is like "I know everything but I can't/won't tell you".
With all the answers lying two street blocks south east,
it's pretty hard not to imagine TNO beating the truth out of him instead of going ona a tiresome and lengthy plane-hopping.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The original crime was never created by the devs, it was never invented. Since it wasnt directly needed for the story and its theme.
Thats official, from Chris himself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If Lujo is talking about the sensory stone where a city gets genocided by a fleet of airships, that's not a TNO memory.

TNO's original sin is unspecified. Chris Avellone doesn't know what it is either.

hexer

If Lujo is talking about the sensory stone where a city gets genocided by a fleet of airships, that's not a TNO memory.

Most probably but realistically, we don't know whose memories those are.
They could be anyone's, even from TNO's original personality.

TNO's original sin is unspecified. Chris Avellone doesn't know what it is either.

Back on Interplay's forums, I was a proponent of the "TNO is Zerthimon" theory but MCA denied it.

The Nameless One is not Zerthimon, and the Nameless One's "true name" is never revealed in the game - even I don't know who he truly is. :D

Hope this helps,
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Lujo

Augur

Why let a little reveal get in the way of a good mystery? If I was Chris I'd say that, too. Still, a million is a statistic, so if that IS TNO's original sin it's kinda hard to make it have the impact on the audience that it had on TNO, which is probably why they abandoned it as the explanation sometimes during production. Or didn't, just decided not to reveal it very clearly. Lots of things were rushed towards the end, hilariously so at times, and quite a bit of all sorts of stuff that was supposed to be a factor in the game didn't get done or got reduced to a few art assets. But I'm pretty sure that if at any point that crime was to be anything, that's what it was. You've got planet buster cannons in the Fortress of Regrets, that's enough for anyone who cares to know.

hexer

You've got planet buster cannons in the Fortress of Regrets, that's enough for anyone who cares to know.

I have to agree, those cannons are totally out of place there and seem to have been originally purposed for something else.
Maybe Chris Avellone is here and could dispel their mystery?

Lujo

Augur
Doesn't matter. I wouldn't be surprised the guys who made Fallout thought the guy who pushed the button / gave the order and let the nukes fly felt like he needed a few eternites of atonement afterwards. It's good this way - it's a mystery, you can always say that the crime was never even concieved, and yet it's there for anyone who cares to look :)

hexer

The "planet annihilation" sensory stone was one of the more troubling things I've seen in a video game..
especially the part where they're justifying the act by branding everyone as traitors.
Maybe it's so chilly because it happens IRL wars too..

Lujo

Augur
Hey, the guy who dropped just one nuke IRL said he'd become Death, destroyer of worlds. Now take someone who really let them all fly and go figure what they'd feel like about their afterlife. I wouldn't be surprised that's how the whole idea about the game started before it developed into so much more. And in the end, Nothing is scarier, even if that sensory stone is some chilling s**t. I remember one of the devs saying at some point that the thing they're most unhappy with is the Fortress of Regrets, probably because they decided at some point that TNO's crime would be a mystery, that it's more impactful and timeless that way, and the map kinda spells it out... But you know what? The story's not about that original crime, and it doesn't matter, at least to me, if I know what it was. It's about all the s**t that went wrong with trying to atone for something you can't really atone for, something for which "hell" is there for in the first place. It's a pretty good story, whether you know what the crime was or not.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I read once the theory, that he was Adam and it was really him, who was responsible for the fall of man. It would also fit, since the sign of torment works like a mark of Cain (something you can't get rid or very hard get rid of).

But personally I think that his crime wasn't really that big, it was just that he BELIEVED it to be this big thing and that gave it its power. Considering how belief works in the planes, it would make sense. Maybe he was just a regular Joe, killing the love of his life, his best friend and a few more people and after selling his soul to the Hells he got cold feet and then the whole shabang started. It was not the crime, that endangered the planes, it was his avoidance that made it worse. I find that even more tragic, than blowing up Krypton or something like that.

Or it could be really this

He fucked a pig

and the people of his little hillbilly village saw it as the biggest crime ever, because now this ham has some natural mayonaise in it. The horror.

hexer

There are also some interesting scenes in the intro.
We see two sad women in flames and a Tattoo of Torment in the middle.
These two are possibly some later victims of TNO since the completed Tattoo of Torment is tied to Deionarra.

However, we also see a scene with an unknown woman while TNO still looked like a normal human.
She disappears and returns as a zombie while TNO also loses his human appearance.
It probably a nightmare and we know nothing about these people, but the disappearing girl might be his first victim.

The conclusion.. TNO has issues with women and relationships.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't believe some people are popamole enough to ask this question seriously.

But don't worry. Sooner or later someone will make AAA Action-Arpg Planescape Prequel that will explain everything in detail.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I can't believe some people are popamole enough to ask this question seriously.

But don't worry. Sooner or later someone will make AAA Action-Arpg Planescape Prequel that will explain everything in detail.

He said it and enough people started to believe it to make it happens. That's the power of the planes.

Black

Arcane
Something that bugs me is the fact that the first one said he died in his sleep, killed by shadows. But there were no shadows chasing him at that point since he hasn't died&rezzed yet.

Yaksha

Novice
the combat really bogged down planescape,
It was the right decision to get rid of it in disco .

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
Disco Elysium is better then Planescape Torment
98F83EDD0695DD550F4ADCEDCB16541BAA61DF41

I'm not a fan of Planetscape Tournament, but no way in hell that clown fiesta is better than Ps:T

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom