Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3 remake)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam, PS4, Switch:

Quite drastic remake, huh. Looks much better than the remake of Secret of Mana anyway.

Last edited:

Ent

Savant
I played the translation of the original 15 years ago. Hopefully it'll have co-op and I'll playthrough with my nephews this time.

Machocruz

Arcane
A major draw of the original was the stellar 16 bit graphics. Take that away and not much reason left to play. I didn't think the combat was exceptional at all.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Also western release (today) of Collection of Mana (the original trilogy). :

I waited for confirmation but it's Switch only, for now. Hope this to get released on PC down the line.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Someone needs to find out who is proposing all these damn remakes at Squeenix HQ and throw them down an elevator shaft. This is approaching Nutendo levels of faggotry and navel-gazing.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page with screenshots (which look like someone screencapped the trailer than actual screenshots :roll:)

ss_4a67e0934d269e6d5a48e4e5b4cd888cc690eb8e.jpg

ss_b0a2d30051384807295f7f8888f2d6f8b049d132.jpg

ss_2f3295d819522dff0a51191fc590cd1b0f7c0f51.jpg

Ent

Savant
Since this is a full remake a ton of mechanical changes are expected. I'm hoping they keep the stat system of the original (now critical hits will finally be a thing) and make the final classes of each character less of an afterthought and available much earlier in the game rather than just right before the final 2 or 3 areas.

Durwyn

Prophet
This is fucking awesome, one of my childhood beloved games. I approve of the art direction, looks very true to original. I hope they will keep not make any changes to character introductory stories.

Ent

Savant
The character designs look very faithful to the original concept art. Here's hoping the class changes for the characters will actually change the armor and weapon appearance as shown in the art rather than just color swaps like the original game.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm looking at the original trilogy release rather than the silly looking remake, but I never played the Mana games. Any good? Isn't the real-time just button mashy?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Spells can be spammed as long as you have MPs left while weapons have a cooldown or some sort (if you mash you don't make damage) and you can also charge weapon attacks (I realize I'm talking about Secret of Mana, I don't have the specificities of Seiken Densenstu 3 in mind although in my memory it's an even better game, the choices of the 3 characters from the start especially is a very good addition, including for example a werewolf which as you could expect is better during the night than during the day).

I think Secret of Mana and this one (and Secret Of Evermore too with the fan-made multiplayer mode, but when it was released you could only played alone and I'm sure I was not the only disappointed child at the time) are maybe my very favourite local co-op games, in particular if you're exactly 3 (2 for Evermore). It's one of the reasons I really love the games.

Now to be fair in solo they're still fun to play but saying the combat system stands out would be an exaggeration although I think the system and UI are not the worst ever to control the 3 characters in the same time to some extent (actually control one while still launching spells with the two others). For the rest the dungeons are decent, the graphics are good, the musics extremely good, the stories are super cool IMO with characters in the party which listen to NPCs more than they talk to each other.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think the artstyle looks quite close to the original, as close as a 3D remake can hope to look. Like the DS remake of Final Fantasy 4. I like it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://gematsu.com/2019/06/trials-of-mana-is-the-most-action-heavy-game-in-the-series-fully-voiced

More information on the newly announced Trials of Mana, a remake of the game released in Japan in 1995 as Seiken Densetsu 3, has come out of a developer interview with Famitsu at E3 2019.

Here are the notable tidbits:
  • The project began moving around two years ago.
  • Unlike Secret of Mana, the reason we are making a significantly bolder remake with this game is because this title was never released overseas, so we hope to introduce it as a completely new title.
  • Trials of Mana is one of the conclusions we arrived at through trial and error while listening to the feedback from [the remake of] Secret of Mana. Early in development, we created a prototype that was even closer to the original game, but as a remake after 25 years we were not satisfied with that.
  • The original concept of the Mana series was something along the lines of, “seamlessly play the Final Fantasy series’ ATB battle system.” We called what we ended up with “motion battle,” we weren’t saying it was an action RPG at that time.
  • In Secret of Mana, you were able to fight while changing weapons, but since your weapons were fixed in Trials of Mana, we heard from users that was no good, so with the remake we wanted to fix that.
  • Elements such as combos and jump attacks have been implemented in the remake. It’s being made so you can really enjoy the action parts.
  • While this is probably the most action-heavy game in the series, it is an action RPG through and through, so you enjoy the game even if you’re not good at it so long as you level up.
  • Since action performance differs based on the character, your experience with the game will change based on who you’re playing as.
  • There is no multiplayer.
  • Event scenes are pretty much fully voiced. 30-plus characters all have proper voices.
  • The voice cast will be announced at a later date, but we can say with 100 percent certainty that the voice cast won’t damage the characters’ images.
  • There is a lot that we still can’t say, so fans and non-fans alike please look forward to hearing more.

deuxhero

Arcane
Will characters take off their clothes to sleep like in the original?

Since this is a full remake a ton of mechanical changes are expected. I'm hoping they keep the stat system of the original (now critical hits will finally be a thing) and make the final classes of each character less of an afterthought and available much earlier in the game rather than just right before the final 2 or 3 areas.

The stats system of the original is literally broken. Agility does nothing but make the trap wheel slower for most characters.

Ysaye

Arbiter
The engine looks the same as dragon quest xi, but with the "mana" faces instead of the iconic DQ ones.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The original is very good. You can make your own party out of 6 characters and they're all very different. You can then class change all 6 further into at first 2 options for specializing, and then 4. You pick one of the nine as a main character and they all have a different starting vignette that's pretty long. There's also three different final bosses and ending beats depending on your main character.

It's also wonderful to coop. The graphics are jaw-dropping for SNES and it's got some of the most unrivaled pixel art I've ever seen.

Edit: I misremembered how many characters there were.

Last edited:

Ent

Savant
Characters can use mulitple weapon types in the remake? I'm hype.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom