Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Western great games are dead. Now it's up to Japs and Poles.

Wunderbar

Arcane
So yeah, I am being serious.
bester ignored every good western game to prove his own point, I did the same for lulz.
I'm aware about japanese games, i'm not ignorant.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
bester ignored every good western game to prove his own point
Dude, you've got Prey on your list. Prey is not even considered good on metacritic, how do you fuck that up? It's got 79 metacritic score, 7.8 user score.

Now I'm going to refer you to the following infographic:
e151fa76b358f8a1a62ba655b5850ac5.png

The only game the West made that was good in the last 10 years was Far Cry Blood Dragon, but it's just a meme game that you can finish in 5 hours. Barely a game, more like a DLC.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
bester ignored every good western game to prove his own point, I did the same for lulz.

Even if he did it mockingly, the point is still valid enough. Something did happen around 2004 that made most Western AAA Devs do a complete 180 on the way they perceive what games are and should be.
What was it and why?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Before 2004, the West made: VTMB, Deus Ex, Baldur's Gates, Fallouts, PST, Diablos, Counter-Strike, Dooms, Quakes.

After 2004, the west made: 0 great games.

Japs and Poles after 2004:
- Witcher 3
- Dark Souls
- MGS5

E3 2019, it's Japs and Poles again:
- Elden Ring
- Cyberpunk
- Death Stranding

It's over for the West.
Are you implying those games are good?

Also the games you mention are all action games.
:decline:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
All I hear is Poland, Poland, Poland. Fuck off. The only good Witcher was the original. What else have they made? GOG is probably the best thing to come out of Poland but they went SJW full-throttle. And CDPR will too, it's just a matter of time.

Mazisky

Magister
West resumed both isometric RPG and Turn based with Pillars and Xcom.

They may not be the best games but West just kept those genres alive and started a new wave. And those are the codex favourite genres.

Egosphere

Arcane

Even if he did it mockingly, the point is still valid enough. Something did happen around 2004 that made most Western AAA Devs do a complete 180 on the way they perceive what games are and should be.
What was it and why?

Xbox 360.

From what I remember of the 90s, PC gaming and consoles were almost entirely separate gaming eco-systems. PCs had FPS (half life, unreal, quake, duke nukem, serious sam etc.), RPGs, strategy games (Total war series, Age of Empires, Age of Mythology etc. ) and experimental first person rpg-esque hybrids (SS2, Deus Ex, Thief). Consoles never competed with PCs on that front. They catered towards different genres: horror (resident evil, silent hill, siren), sports, action (devil may cry, prince of persia, metal gear solid ), colourful JRPGs (Suikoden, Vagrant story, FF ) and platformers (Tomb raider, Oddworld, Spyro ), or hybrids of these. Of course this rule didn't always hold, and many games got releases for both systems, but there was still a 'best' version that fell squarely into one or the other. Silent Hill's ports to PC were after-thoughts, and never gathered much acclaim, yet sold millions on the playstation and became cult classics (pun intended). MGS would pop up on PC occasionally, yet the most illustrious game in the series (3) was never ported.

Then Xbox 360 comes along and usurps the Playstation as the dominant console. And it does so via a cavalcade of first person shooters. Suddenly the biggest console games are Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, Battlefield. PS, tail between its legs, starts shitting out its own versions: Killzone, Haze, Resistance. FPS are inherently shit on a console controller, so everything that once constituted a good shooter (level design, quick movement, lots of enemies and great gunplay) recedes into the background and is replaced by a cinematic, scripted experience. Levels shed their verticality and complexity in favour of linearity; movement speed is nerfed to a quarter of what it used to be; enemy counts are reduced and shootouts become popamole affairs where you hold an angle and wait for the enemy to appear from behind cover. Rinse repeat ad nauseum. Since the gameplay is so drab, they spruce up the whole affair with a generous dose of scripted events or dumb mini games that look cool. Cod 4 was the master at this: not a second goes by without some 'ehrmagerd' moment. Helicopters crash, ships capsize, tanks get blown up with javelin missiles, nukes go off etc with your involvement being utterly superficial and redundant. This also has the added effect of attracting a completely new crowd, who consume these games like you would fast food. Gameplay systems, great writing, atmosphere - these are no longer important. Press button > watch cool cutscene > receive dopamine spike. Better graphics > more dopamine. Better 'immersion' > even more dopamine. Throw in some 'emotional' bollocks for a story and you have the making of a modern classic.

Once you trap a big audience who are addicted to this drivel, then you can completely shatter their minds with something that deviates from the standard triple-A straight-jacket. Look at Fallout 3: shit writing, shit graphics, shit atmosphere, shit upon shit, yet people's little mind melted at the thought of freedom that allowed you to go anywhere you want and talk to people, and choose some dialogue, and do whatever you 'want'. Their point of reference was Cod and suddenly they were given a wasteland and some stats. So awesome, much wow. But once you give them this new toy, it's not easy to take it away. They demand bigger worlds, emptier wastelands, with even better graphics and even cooler scripted events. So the developers' hands are tied. Beating a square peg into a round hole has caused a runaway effect in gaming. Game world scope, graphical fidelity and prevalence of Michael Bay moments are the benchmark for a great game. It's like Pavlovian conditioning, and you're the mutt.

Dexter

Arcane
All I hear is Poland, Poland, Poland. Fuck off. The only good Witcher was the original. What else have they made?

Other somewhat famous Polish games:
Frostpunk
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Bulletstorm
Dead Island
Dying Light 1/2
Call of Juarez Series
Two Worlds
Hard Reset
Gorky 17
Ancestors Legacy
Ruiner
Tormentum
UBOAT
Bulb Boy
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Jack Orlando
Kholat
McPixel
Necrovision
Ronin
Teenagent

Chernobylite: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016800/Chernobylite/
Hellraid: https://store.steampowered.com/app/226920/Hellraid/
Witchfire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zqjNkdXT94

Morkar Left

In the past years it seems that japanese devs got afraid of experimenting and taking risks. Capcom being the worst offender, as now they are basically "Nostalgia: The Company"

Arent they doing this since the late 80's?

Swigen

Arbiter
Bullshit thread full of fuckin’ amateurs. Let’s see, awesome games made by western devs after 2004 just off the top of my head...

Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (Lookit that they made it again ‘cause it’s so fuckin’ good)
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: WW2

How about Rockstar, fags...

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
Grand Theft Auto 4
Grand Theft Auto: The Lost and the Damned
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Grand Theft Auto: The Balad of Gay Tony
Grand Theft Auto 5
Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption 2

I see y’all forgot about Blizzard...

Fuckin’ World of Warcraft
Diablo 3
Starcraft 2
Overwatch

Jesus, what about Borderlands!?

What, you queers didn’t like Grim Dawn?!?

U din liek Tomb Raider or Hitman 2!?

Forza?! Halos?! Gears of War?! Mortal Kombats?!,?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom