Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Xbox360 - final verdict

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'm pretty much done with most of worthy PS3 exclusives but if X360 hasn't got any hidden obscure wapanese gems I'll better pass with this one.

For now, Xbone looks like completely pointless stuff, maybe if prices drop down to under 100$ for basic version I'll buy it to have every 3 Xbox generation in one place. Is it even possible to use it offline?

360 has the exclusive JRPGs of Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

LO is considered a "hidden gem" and worth playing (I'm waiting for Xenia emulator to be capable of running it), and BD is considered extremely mediocre and average.

All the Forzas and Gears shit are on PC, and Halo 3 and 4 (and Reach and ODST) are coming soon to PC. For multi-platform exclusives like Red Dead Redemption 1 then it plays best on 360 with extra MSAA and better shadows and texture detail and LoDs.

TLDR Just wait for Xenia to get better.

All the Forzas and Gears shit are on PC, and Halo 3 and 4 (and Reach and ODST) are coming soon to PC.

Honestly, what PS3 has to offer?

Drakengard 3 (I love it but it's extreme niche title)
Persona 5 (also on PS4)
Demon's Souls (remaster on the way)
(completely broken) Kratos for MK9
GoW3/Ascension

Shit like Last of Us, Uncharted, Resistance, Killzone, Infamous, Darkness etc. maybe fun for some codexers but still, they're just popamole so they shouldn't be coinsidered as anything worthwile.

Plus, PS3 as a hardware feels pretty soulless, even comparing to original Xbox. I miss the times when consoles were free from PC-imitation crap.

Don Peste

Arcane
Ico & Shadow Of The Colossus Classics HD, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Puppeteer, Rain, Siren Blood Curse?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
don't worry, streaming-only "consoles" where you rent "air time" to play a game are the future anyway. gaming doesn't have much time left before the "netflix of gaming!" completely kills it.

:)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
360 has the exclusive JRPGs of Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

There's honestly very little exclusive to either that I'd imagine PC focused gamers being compelled by. If you're into stuff like Lost Odyssey and Ratchet and Clank then surely you own consoles in general anyway. The only ones I ever remember envying were the sci-fi FPS games like Halo and Killzone, because I'm a sci-fi nut and like FPS, but I wouldn't want to play them on console anyway due to lack of keyboard and mouse control.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
don't worry, streaming-only "consoles" where you rent "air time" to play a game are the future anyway. gaming doesn't have much time left before the "netflix of gaming!" completely kills it.

:)
Don't believe their lies.

I was pretty passionate about not supporting DRM at one point and here I am with like 400 Steam games.

I'm doing quite opposite, trying to analogize the digital life by buying pshysical copies, slowly avoiding emulation and switching to original hardware - if that won't resurrect my interesting in gaming than it's all over. Playing games bought on Steam or other e-shop feels somehow 'fake', their only advantage is low pricing on sales and that's all.

I succeded doing the same with music, dropped almost entirely mp3/FLAC format, focused only on CD/MC collection.

Chapterhouse: Dune (1985) said:
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I was pretty passionate about not supporting DRM at one point and here I am with like 400 Steam games.

I'm doing quite opposite, trying to analogize the digital life by buying pshysical copies, slowly avoiding emulation and switching to original hardware - if that won't resurrect my interesting in gaming than it's all over.

How would the focus on physical things ressurect your love for gaming, they are still the same whether on disc or not.

How would the focus on physical things ressurect your love for gaming, they are still the same whether on disc or not.

It's not only about psychical media, the concept is wider: to recreate to conditions we used to play video game in the past. No Steam, no unlimited access to gaems, no half measures.

Falksi

Arcane
I fucking loved the Xbox 360.

The PS3's prob a better choice, but the 360 gave me some quality games, at dirt cheap prices (usually £5-£10 cheaper than PS3 titles back then) and to this day still runs fine (bought in 2009)

The 360's my personal fave console since the 16-bit SNES/Megadrive era. Plug in & play, never online, very few buggy games, great selection of games at super-cheap prices too.

Good times :)

Also, Lost Odyssey is a great game. Probably the most well rounded traditional JRPG ever created. The PS3 has the better exclusives overall, but I didn't enjoy any of those games as much as Lost Odyssey.

Blue Dragon is fairly wank though

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm doing quite opposite, trying to analogize the digital life by buying pshysical copies, slowly avoiding emulation and switching to original hardware - if that won't resurrect my interesting in gaming than it's all over. Playing games bought on Steam or other e-shop feels somehow 'fake', their only advantage is low pricing on sales and that's all.

I succeded doing the same with music, dropped almost entirely mp3/FLAC format, focused only on CD/MC collection.

I don't have any love for discs at all. I still buy movies on disc because they look and sound much better, but I hate that I have to honestly. Disliking DRM for me has nothing to do with discs. If every game ever made released on GOG I'd be a happy camper.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

It's not only about psychical media, the concept is wider: to recreate to conditions we used to play video game in the past. No Steam, no unlimited access to gaems, no half measures.

I can see where you're coming from and while I occasionally had the same urges to do as you do, there's a voice in the back of my head that tells me that you can't really go back. I could try to recreate all the outer circumstances, but what would be missing would be my old self. I'm just not the same person I was at the age when I discovered gaming, and I think trying to recreate all that, the whole environment would just make me realize more how much has changed.

That said, I counterbalance my gaming habit with a lot of other hobbies, so I rarely lose my joy for it. I do have longer periods where I don't game or not much, but in the end I always circle back to it

Last edited:

kalganoat

Savant
this but too bad the framerate is shit on 360.
Ninja_Gaiden_II.jpg

Kaethar

Educated
All the Forzas and Gears shit are on PC, and Halo 3 and 4 (and Reach and ODST) are coming soon to PC.

Drakengard 3 (I love it but it's extreme niche title)
Persona 5 (also on PS4)
Demon's Souls (remaster on the way)
(completely broken) Kratos for MK9
GoW3/Ascension

Shit like Last of Us, Uncharted, Resistance, Killzone, Infamous, Darkness etc. maybe fun for some codexers but still, they're just popamole so they shouldn't be coinsidered as anything worthwile.

Plus, PS3 as a hardware feels pretty soulless, even comparing to original Xbox. I miss the times when consoles were free from PC-imitation crap.
Source on the Demon's Souls remaster?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom