Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No, my understanding was that the trailer's graphics are indicative of the game's graphics.

Sailor Woedica, you know that poeIII will also be action RPG.
cRPG nostalgia, as we know it, died with Deadfire. New things are on the horizon.

Even tho I do love the 90s style of the first two Pillars of Eternity games I'm way unbothered by how a game plays and I'm totally all in for Poe III being an action rpg!
I doubt you were born during the 90s, sis.

Delterius

Arcane
No, my understanding was that the trailer's graphics are indicative of the game's graphics.

Sailor Woedica, you know that poeIII will also be action RPG.
cRPG nostalgia, as we know it, died with Deadfire. New things are on the horizon.

Even tho I do love the 90s style of the first two Pillars of Eternity games I'm way unbothered by how a game plays and I'm totally all in for Poe III being an action rpg!
I doubt you were born during the 90s, sis.
it just means that the narrator portions are better looking now

i'm sure they'll cut to a 2d isometric rpg right after those cutscenes

The Bishop

Cipher
At least he did imply that you can do things like throwing chairs and tables at people in combat, which is a big step up in environmental interactivity from the static backgrounds of the Infinity Engine.
I kind of don't get this. It has always seemed gimmicky to me. Is it something people actually want? I personally have never been that impressed with being able to move everything in Larian's games.
It's about as exciting as knowing that you are able to make a muscle wizard in PoE.
You don't know what you're missing:

Swen is a secret Jackie Chan admirer confirmed.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I found this old interview with MCA, Urquart, and Chris Parker (can't find the date) https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/baldurs-gate-3-development and didn't know there was another pitch on BG3 after the Black Hound?. Apparently the second one was a "Third-person, party-based RPG. Reminiscent of Mass Effect". Although the only person who would have kept it traditional was MCA:
Avellone’s ideal Baldur’s Gate 3, by contrast, would keep the isometric perspective. “At least for the first installment, only because I think there was an incredible amount of beauty in the isometric view of Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale. in some locations, it was like you were travelling across a painting.”
He also thought the Black Hound may not have been recieved well; because of the disconnect from the original.

Looks like we dodge a bullet with Sawyer, Urquhart, and Parker. I wonder what MCA privately thinks about the direction Larian are going in after all these years?.

Mortmal

Arcane
giphy.gif
Post it on steam forum for maximum butthurt !

Mortmal

Arcane
Non-interview regurgitating the same marketing pitch.

Did you see what camera perspective it will use? No? Because they didn't say.
Same on every interviews, BG3 gameplay is the most well kept secret in the world.Easier to get alien contact than get sven telling anything useful on it.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

That would be too radical. Imagine Bethesda doing Fallout 5 as 2d game. It would subvert people's expectations drastically.

Xeon

Augur
If they decide to do an action rpg, I hope they go for another IP, Microsoft probably has a lot of IPs and if not they can probably do a Shadowrun game or something. PoE feels way too generic.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Man at this point I don't know if Sailor Woedica is a paid "totally not PR giuy" like in the Black Geyser thread, genuinely insane fan, or someone trying to emulate annoying fan persona in the Codex.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Already other Gentlemen have pointed out the contradictions in the various interviews. I'll say that again: we know NOTHING for sure. I, personally, am not so much worried about the gameplay as much as I dread the day when they'll finally reveal the story and, more importantly, the canon nightmare that is the games, Abdel Adrian from the novels, Abdel Adrian from the adventure module and Gorion's Ward from "Heroes of Baldur's Gate". Since it's becoming more and more apparent that they cannot/will not simply relegate the previous games to small cameos, since Sven directly mentions "Murder in Baldur's Gate", I would brace, Ladies and Gentlemen, for the inevitable announcement of the "canon events" and, more importantly, the "canon Bhaalspawn".

So if I understood your previous post on the subject, Abdel 'the novel' Adrian has be jettisoned, but Abdel 'the pc game' Adrian exists as canon, and is referred to as Gorian's Ward in the latest module by James Ohlen - but was still killed by Viekang in the 'Murder In Baldurs Gate' module?.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
No... the game is a direct continuation of Descent into Avernus, and will even have some hints to it, stop repeating shit you misunderstood 50 pages ago.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Already other Gentlemen have pointed out the contradictions in the various interviews. I'll say that again: we know NOTHING for sure. I, personally, am not so much worried about the gameplay as much as I dread the day when they'll finally reveal the story and, more importantly, the canon nightmare that is the games, Abdel Adrian from the novels, Abdel Adrian from the adventure module and Gorion's Ward from "Heroes of Baldur's Gate". Since it's becoming more and more apparent that they cannot/will not simply relegate the previous games to small cameos, since Sven directly mentions "Murder in Baldur's Gate", I would brace, Ladies and Gentlemen, for the inevitable announcement of the "canon events" and, more importantly, the "canon Bhaalspawn".

So if I understood your previous post on the subject, Abdel 'the novel' Adrian has be jettisoned, but Abdel 'the pc game' Adrian exists as canon, and is referred to as Gorian's Ward in the latest module by James Ohlen - but was still killed by Viekang in the 'Murder In Baldurs Gate' module?.

No, and this is the infuriating part. I'll do it point by point.

1. The Abdel Adrian from the novels is gone. No mention of any events related to him, like him being a captain of the Flaming Fists before Gorion's death. Thank God, WotC made a good decision for once. Hopefully they'll stick to it.
2. Abdel Adrian from the adventure module "Murder in Baldur's Gate" (who is dead, by the way, killed in a duel with Viekang), is basically a "canon CHARNAME" - human fighter who rejected dvinity, wandered around for another decade or so, and then settled in Baldur's Gate, eventually becoming a Duke. From what little of him is described in the module, he seemed like a quite good character. HOWEVER, the games established during the "reject divinity" ending that CHARNAME would actually LOSE his Bhaal essence, thus creating a massive contradiction, since Abdel Adrian from the module still has his essence.
3. Sometime later "Heroes of Baldur's Gate" was released, where Abdel Adrian isn't named at all, instead the monicker "Gorion's Ward" is used, and any references to events outside the games are completely avoided. This leads me to believe that another retcon is/was planned.
4. There is also a series of comics featuring the resurrected/recreated Minsc (or his simulacra, this still isn't explained) and once again any mentions of CHARNAME are completely avoided.

If you listen to latest interview its pretty clear it has absolutely nothing to do with charname anymore. They will mention events from descent to avernus and the adventure will be its own thing, no retcon . You are going to visit baldur's gate after those world shaking events and thats all.

Mortmal

Arcane
IF the plot revolves about bhaal return, or some alliance of Bhaal myrkhul and bane, maybe.That's a big IF , plots always being so predictable, they could be the main force and real evil behind the illithid invasion.It's hinted there's something else behind, pick your archdemon, Big bad evil, ancient dead god.As for the heroes of baldur's gate comics are they even considered as canon ?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some interesting bits from a French interview, via Google Translate: https://www.gamekult.com/jeux/baldur-s-gate-3-69617/test.html

Let's talk about spaces. This world, do you intend to manage it like in Original Sin and Baldur's Gate, with zones connected by a map? Or an open world?

SV : Areas connected by a map, no doubt.

My colleague (Raphael Lucas) burns to know if the world of the game will be limited to the Forgotten Realms or if we can hope a little Spelljammer or Planescape in the mixture?

SV : We very deliberately showed a Nautiloid in the sky to teaser to reassure connoisseurs. Dungeons & Dragons have even had new adventures on other Living Plans since all this time and we will be able to exploit all that.

You spoke of the importance of the coterie of companions. Can we break out of the classic encounter / recruitment / loyalty quest and make them more human through systems? Maybe more unpredictable like around a table of RPG?

SV : It's on the companions that we concentrate. In Original Sin 1 and 2 we worked on ideas of interactions between players but perhaps not enough on the relationship between player (s) and companions, where so much remains to be done. I would like to explore these issues with Baldur's Gate 3, hence the " Gather your party " at the end of the teaser .

You founded Larian in 1997 to make RPGs. Did the first Baldur's Gate set an example for you at first?

SV : A competitor actually! At the beginning we were working on The Lady, The Mage and The Knight at the time. We collaborated with a German publisher, Attic Entertainment, who had forbidden us to talk to Ray (editor's note: Muzyka) of Bioware. A fan wanted to put us in touch at the time of the development of Baldur's Gate but Attich prevented me from playing the game because they were raised against the evil Interplay. " You do not understand how bad these people are ," they told me while I was still young in the industry. Then the game came out, I could play it and it was so good. I knew D & D, I did some paper campaigns, but I discovered all this possibility of image and exploration of the background. Then our first game was canceled and I crystallized a bittersweet memory.

What do you think are the most interesting challenges for you in the future?

SV : Control our perimeter, limit us. We have access to almost 45 years of stories, systems and crazy stuff, certainly sometimes condensed thanks to the rules of the fifth edition, but that's still a lot. We want to make an excellent RPG, my team has many very talented developers for whom Baldur's Gate was the first contact with the genre. And you have to constantly tame this passion. Sometimes remember that 100% perfection does not exist to stop going around in circles and start making decisions that move you forward. It is a constant but necessary battle.

kalganoat

Savant
what has Bhaal been up to since his resurrection?

Anyway I trust Swen when they say BG3 will have nothing to do with bhaalspawn saga. What I don't get is why even include 3 in the title. just call it Baldur's Gate (202X) and reboot the series.

Mortmal

Arcane
Some interesting bits from a French interview, via Google Translate: https://www.gamekult.com/jeux/baldur-s-gate-3-69617/test.html

Let's talk about spaces. This world, do you intend to manage it like in Original Sin and Baldur's Gate, with zones connected by a map? Or an open world?

SV : Areas connected by a map, no doubt.

My colleague (Raphael Lucas) burns to know if the world of the game will be limited to the Forgotten Realms or if we can hope a little Spelljammer or Planescape in the mixture?

SV : We very deliberately showed a Nautiloid in the sky to teaser to reassure connoisseurs. Dungeons & Dragons have even had new adventures on other Living Plans since all this time and we will be able to exploit all that.

You spoke of the importance of the coterie of companions. Can we break out of the classic encounter / recruitment / loyalty quest and make them more human through systems? Maybe more unpredictable like around a table of RPG?

SV : It's on the companions that we concentrate. In Original Sin 1 and 2 we worked on ideas of interactions between players but perhaps not enough on the relationship between player (s) and companions, where so much remains to be done. I would like to explore these issues with Baldur's Gate 3, hence the " Gather your party " at the end of the teaser .

You founded Larian in 1997 to make RPGs. Did the first Baldur's Gate set an example for you at first?

SV : A competitor actually! At the beginning we were working on The Lady, The Mage and The Knight at the time. We collaborated with a German publisher, Attic Entertainment, who had forbidden us to talk to Ray (editor's note: Muzyka) of Bioware. A fan wanted to put us in touch at the time of the development of Baldur's Gate but Attich prevented me from playing the game because they were raised against the evil Interplay. " You do not understand how bad these people are ," they told me while I was still young in the industry. Then the game came out, I could play it and it was so good. I knew D & D, I did some paper campaigns, but I discovered all this possibility of image and exploration of the background. Then our first game was canceled and I crystallized a bittersweet memory.

What do you think are the most interesting challenges for you in the future?

SV : Control our perimeter, limit us. We have access to almost 45 years of stories, systems and crazy stuff, certainly sometimes condensed thanks to the rules of the fifth edition, but that's still a lot. We want to make an excellent RPG, my team has many very talented developers for whom Baldur's Gate was the first contact with the genre. And you have to constantly tame this passion. Sometimes remember that 100% perfection does not exist to stop going around in circles and start making decisions that move you forward. It is a constant but necessary battle.
As for every french interviews, absolutely nothing on gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom