Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs going the "interactive movie" route - yes or no?

RPGs going the "interactive movie" route - yes or no?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's the perfect time to get to know people's stance on this matter so let's keep this simple shall we

Btw the poll is asking "should they", not "are they"

Last edited:

Alexios

Augur
Patron
The problem is that it's debatable if the games that suffer from this can even be called RPGs in the first place. It was a problem with The Witcher 3, but the extent of the RPG mechanics in that game was some C&C. Other than that it was an action-adventure game. Cyberpunk looks to be the same way, and in fact it doesn't even seem like CDPR are pushing it as an RPG.

The last proper RPG to memory was Kingdom Come, which, on top of a ton of other problems, had absurdly elongated cutscenes, but I still wouldn't call it an interactive movie.

This issue really seems to be with the action-adventure genre, and it's been going on for at least a decade now. Ever since it became hip to have showy graphics in games it seems the default has been to focus solely on cinematics, to the point where some games (Last of Us) are literally interactive movies.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't really like ANY game genre trying to be a movie. A short cutscene between levels I can take, but anything else non-interactive should fuck right off. If I want to watch a movie I'll watch a movie, be a fucking game.

That said I'm not sure what this poll is asking. If you mean Mass Effect or something like that, a relatively interactive game with some "cinematic moments," then I think there's room for it, if it's well done. Keep the focus on gameplay and getting story from exploration, conversations, etc. and we're good. Even the more recent Bioware stuff has a decent balance, the games suck for other reasons.

Covenant

Savant
This has been a problem for nearly twenty years now. I remember seeing adverts for the first Uncharted game and realising for the first time that they were trying to turn videogames into movies. Obviously, things have only gotten worse since then.

If you want actual gameplay as opposed to interspersed cutscenes with famous (over-priced) VAs and meme writers, your best bet is indies. Darkest Dungeon, Battle Brothers, and Tales of Maj'Eyal have more quality gameplay in them than most AAA titles today.

hexer

How do I change my vote?
I voted for "Are they", not "Should they" :lol:

Zanzoken

Arcane
There are really two styles of telling stories in games.

1) Scripted. This is where writers and designers create handcrafted stories for the player to experience. The player moves along predefined paths and reaches predefined endpoints.
2) Systemic. The designers create systems which only lead to the possibility of stories. Storytelling emerges from the player's interactions with the game mechanics and world state.

Good examples of #1: Planescape Torment, Age of Decadence, Bioshock
Good examples of #2: Pirates, X-Com, Battle Brothers, Kenshi
Shit example of #1: Oblivion
Shit example of #2: No Man's Sky

I enjoy both approaches when done well, and dislike both approaches when done poorly. But all things equal I will take a good systemic game over a good scripted one. I think systemic games have a lot of untapped potential, where stories can weave together like a tapestry and every playthrough is a little unique.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This isn't something that's actually happening. The trend in gaming in recent years, since the release of Skyrim in 2011 really, is less cinematics, more systematics.

I think luj1 is overreacting to the cinematic trailers from E3. Trailers aren't games.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This isn't something that's actually happening.

No, not at all. The fact at least four major titles (Cyberpunk, VtMB, Dying Light, Watchdogs) essentially illustrate the same approach while hollywood actors are now central characters in games clearly shows it's but a figment of our imaginations.

since the release of Skyrim in 2011 really is less cinematics, more systematics.

Considering the release of Skyrim marks your introduction to the world of gaming you may be correct after all.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
This isn't something that's actually happening. The trend in gaming in recent years, since the release of Skyrim in 2011 really, is less cinematics, more systematics.

I think luj1 is overreacting to the cinematic trailers from E3. Trailers aren't games.
What this guy said. This thread is almost a decade late.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Can I change my vote? I voted for "Are they?"

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No, not at all. The fact at least four major titles (Cyberpunk, VtMB, Dying Light, Watchdogs) essentially illustrate the same approach while hollywood actors are now central characters in games clearly shows it's but a figment of our imaginations.

Can you define what the fuck you're talking about? Most of those are open world games with maybe brief cutscenes or dialogs before you head out into a mission that is very gameplay focused. If that's what you mean then my vote is that it's fine, as long as the cutscenes/dialogs aren't overly long to throw off pacing balance. Fallout's Old World Blues expansion was an example where I thought the dialogs were way too heavy at the start, ruining pacing. That's rare though really.

However if we're talking about games with less interactive gameplay than they should have, then yes that's bad. Following the big arrow and popping moles in Call of Duty, for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom