Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fantasy Monarch - free-form sandbox strategy/RPG

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_4701edc1632a5eb5c1d0f5cd8d0ca805b96bb88d.1920x1080.jpg

ss_1c9a176f80f5c63c4fcb33aa3bcdf1f82d324507.1920x1080.jpg

ss_f8438040b65b2b47e1efc59f02f3d81fefb4baf3.1920x1080.jpg

About_This_Game.jpg

You have made the journey to a new, untamed land seeking your fortune.
What you discover is a world full of challenge,opportunity and conflict.

Highlights
  • A Turn-Based strategy/rpg/sandbox.
  • Help build a kingdom from scratch and/or make your own way in a fantasy world.
  • In game Help and Library explaining gameplay and mechanics.
  • Classless skill system with many skills and powers.
  • The player and every NPC has their own paper doll and combat icon that reflects their equipment and some physical states.
  • Hero NPC adventure in the world and can perform most of the actions the player can (including adventuring, families, leading armies etc..)
  • Barter, steal, trade, duel, befriend and/or romance NPC.
  • Solo or Party adventure through dungeons to find one of many different types of objectives (Artifacts, Treasure and Rituals to name a few.)
  • Raise, Equip ,Train and lead armies into battles with 100's of opponents.
  • Modify tiles in any overland zone. Build a farm, barracks or other type of building to support your endevours or build a base of operations from scratch placing each piece of equipment or farming plot by hand.
  • Forge, craft and enchant armor, weapons and mercantile to trade or use.
  • Search for lore and piece together the history of the land.
  • Made by one man with a singular vision.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/949680/discussions/0/1651045226224441109/

Introduction

My name is Ian Leavitt, i live in Australia and this is my first game.

It started off with a vision of a overland map with towns that would be attacked by monsters. The player along with AI heroes would try and protect the towns and over 4 years it turned into this. A simulated fantasy world in which a player can adventure in pursuing their own objectives in a world of conflict and opportunity.

I welcome you to ask any questions and i will do my best to answer them.

Last edited by a moderator:

V_K

Arcane
I don't understand the first screenshot - what's the point of having two views with the same level of detail, the only difference being that you can't discern jack shit in one of them?

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
I don't understand the first screenshot - what's the point of having two views with the same level of detail, the only difference being that you can't discern jack shit in one of them?

He probably did his isometry view and then realised that due to character tiles being higher than land tiles, it becomes a mess when there's more then one of them. And instead of making land tiles larger or characters smaller he decided to make the separate tactical view to fix this. That's why good old ASCII with one symbol per tile is a godsend to amateur gamedevs.

ntonystinson

Scholar
The description is interesting enough but it's not helped by the fact that one can hardly understand anything he's seeing

Ranarama

Learned
Needs black borders around the characters for the iso view. Might take a look.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/949680/announcements/detail/1602637872920138717

Beta Test Update

Greetings,

The beta test is going well. The game has been optimized. I am now focusing on testing the economy and history generation over long periods of time.

Here's a bit of background on both.

The Economy.

The economy of Fantasy Monarch is in-depth. Each town has a pool of resources and mercantile for which all civilized actors (Heroes, Guilds and Towns) draw upon. Heroes build businesses, craft equipment, mercantile and gather resources themselves. Guilds buy the businesses and run them always selling the mercantile directly to the town. All these resources and mercantile can then be bought from the town by heroes and guilds and also used by the town for growth. Towns supply gold (wealth), workers (for businesses) and recruits (for armies). All this means that the economy is very dynamic providing a lot of opportunity for the player. On the other hand the other heroes should provide competant competition to the player and each other as well.

History Generation.

Fantasy Monarch uses an Actor driven event system. That is, the bulk of events are generated by the actors interacting with each other and the world and these events cover big and small. This can easily be over 1000 events a day ranging from hero activities (Adventuring, Resourcing, Crafting, Fighting, Nefarious Activities etc.), to the other actor types (Towns, Guilds, Armies, Monsters and Factions) all doing there own thing but with a purpose. The player can then learn of these events through different means (Talking to NPC, Pop ups, Lore and the camp scene at the end of the day where the party discusses what they have heard during the day).

It's hard to boil it down (I could go on all day) but i hope this gives you some idea about these two areas of Fantasy Monarch.

As always feel free to ask any questions you might have.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So this is out now:

New screenshots look little bit different than the early ones, and... confusing and interesting at the same time.

ss_0da7b9cc5c5c839e2778e0d8d44099b13d7782c5.600x338.jpg
ss_19a01253300c45cff13942b7f4145c43329693e4.600x338.jpg
ss_ecfbf59473cd955a544c6f9eb9b6de036df40ad9.600x338.jpg
ss_316ca97efd380cc73718fb40e3f8f78e505cc781.600x338.jpg
ss_15c7f9dc533f2fe7474093a299e57c74fd0a52db.600x338.jpg

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Wow, love this concept and game doesn't look awful. Anybody tried?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom