Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Mods would have fucked over their entire business strategy for the game which was selling crap like hats and power armor paint with RMTs.

Mud'

Scholar
their choice and consequences are so pointless and meaningless. Most of the time their choice and consequence is just "pick between these multiple rewards. And oh, none of this will affect anything outside of this quest".
It's an MMO. How many MMOs, PERIOD, have player actions that actually affect the worldstate?

I think ESO has different world states depending on decisions made by players, i think a player can see either a ruined city or a normal city filled with generic NPCs or characters dying, it was something like that but i cant remember the specifics.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And the dialogue went back to actually listed stuff instead of fucking dialgoue wheel from 4 :lol:

ADL

Prophet
ESO has some pretty awesome phasing tech where you see different things depending on your actions. Nothing that significantly changes the prop placement or the architecture or anything like that because you still share the world with players who haven't made the same choices. It definitely feels more reactive than Bethesda's single player games. Doubt they'll have anything like it in F76.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ESO has some pretty awesome phasing tech where you see different things depending on your actions. Nothing that significantly changes the prop placement or the architecture or anything like that because you still share the world with players who haven't made the same choices. It definitely feels more reactive than Bethesda's single player games. Doubt they'll have anything like it in F76.
WoW has that same phasing tech. It's nothing novel.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If they had just released F76 as co-op game that has player hosted stuff, it would have 50% of its problems fixed by modders by now.

Greed fucked them over.

Todd Howard tried too hard to swindle people.

But he failed his Speech check.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
My favorite part is when they show the speech checks. That really meant a lot to all the people that hate their guts, while the dorks that don't care are just happy they can fuck the new NPC's.

Norfleet

How does that "make the gameworld more reactive" to realize that what you're seeing is a hallucination that isn't real? That's the OPPOSITE of making the gameworld feel reactive, it just wholly exposes the non-reactivity of the gameworld by proving that it isn't even real within the context of the game. If the presence of X cannot even be independently verified by someone standing there right next to you, then IT ISN'T REAL, which means your perception of it is a hallucination, and the gameworld isn't reacting to your actions at all, you're merely a witness to your character's slow descent into madness. You're not a hero on a quest to change the world. You're a crazy man doing crazy things while hallucinating out his ass that things are happening when they aren't, because no one else can independently verify that these things happened.

Imagine being the first to chop down a particular tree. Except everyone else next to you clearly sees the tree still there, and you're the only one who imagines the tree is now chopped down. What does this mean? You didn't chop down that tree, you're an insane person hallucinating that he did. That's not reactivity. That's madness.

Codex Year of the Donut
yLUqZZ3l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lots of bag tweets: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-finally-delivered-the-fallout-76-canvas-bags

7 months later, Bethesda has finally delivered the Fallout 76 canvas bags

Seven months after Fallout 76 came out, Bethesda has finally delivered the canvas bags those who bought the £179.99 Power Armour Edition of the game thought they were going to get originally.

For the uninitiated, the backlash to Fallout 76 "bag-gate", or as our Emma likes to call it, "the kerduffel", saw an outcry from owners of the Fallout 76 Power Armour Edition of the game, which was supposed to come with a canvas West Tek bag but instead came with a cheap nylon alternative.

In total, the episode saw Bethesda issue curt customer service responses, retrospectively change the advertising on its website, claim the reason for the swap was due to the price of canvas, and initially apologise with a meagre amount of in-game currency (along with laying the blame for those customer service responses on a temporary contract worker). It was all a bit of a mess.

In December 2018, Bethesda said it was manufacturing replacement canvas bags - and now they're turning up.

Redditor Andarne reported theirs turned up, and posted some pictures of the final article online, including one shot comparing the cheap nylon bag with the new canvas bag.

jpg

Nylon is on the left, canvas is on the bag.

"The replacement is pretty damn decent!" Andarne said in a follow-up post.

"I have the original plastic one, and I have to say that the new one is a significant improvement to the old. Stitching is solid, the lettering pops and it feels good."

So there you have it! Finally "bag-gate" or "the kerduffel" or whatever you want to call it has come to an end.

Cael

Arcane

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I hate to admit this, but I enjoyed this game as a hiking simulation. Walking around a post-apocalyptic Appalachia listening to soundtrack is kinda nice at times.

Once you've seen everything though, there's very little reason to keep playing.

Codex Year of the Donut
And all of the bad PR could have been avoided by doing it correctly the first time.
Someone at some point sat down and thought "yeah, lets associate some cheap 50 cent nylon bag with our product" and actually thought it was a good idea.

ZeniBot

Cipher
And all of the bad PR could have been avoided by doing it correctly the first time.
Someone at some point sat down and thought "yeah, lets associate some cheap 50 cent nylon bag with our product" and actually thought it was a good idea.

Problem is this is 90% of the shit on Bethesda Gear. So they're not off the hook. Their merchandising department is just fucking evil.
I'm actually shocked that they delivered replacement bags. I thought this was going to be a repeat of the Fallout 3 clock all over again.
At least the idiots that bought the game will get a very real lesson to never buy a collectors edition ever again.

Insert Title Here
Of course the one time my home state of West Virginia gets an AAA game about it, the thing is universally reviled. Game never had a chance really.

I played it for a few hours yesterday since it's free, and the major problem is that the most fun part is building up your own base like pseudo-Minecraft, except it. takes. so. damn. long. to get any materials. If you just want to build a shitty beginner shack like the equivalent of a wood cabin in Minecraft, it takes hours in Fallout 76 just to pimp out your noob trailer. Why the hell do I need to spend forever going around getting 4 pieces of wood from fallen logs at a time, when a beginner base requires like 500? They should have just copied Minecraft, you can get hundreds of blocks in an hour in Minecraft and people still play that game all freaking day.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I believe it was F2P over the weekend after E3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom