Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
By the way, to the fellow who just stated that he "claimed back the portfolio of murder from Cyric". Do you know just how retarded that is, and how many rules it breaks? First of all, after being brought back to "life", Bhaal is NOT a deity, or even a demigod, since he doesn't have a portfolio. Cyric is a Greater Power, in other words, almost a god amongst gods, the top tier, the creme de la creme. How exactly would Bhaal just TAKE a portfolio from him? By asking nicely? Breaking and entering? And yes, I know that such a thing is mentioned in ONE book, in passing, but it has been retconned since. Thirdly, Bhaal, if he actually started claiming divinity without a porfolio, would have a nice, long chat with Ao.

Ao redistributed shit when he rewrote the tablets of fate.

Mortmal

Arcane
It follows a new line of products by WOTC,connected by the same archstory , descent to avernus ghsots of saltsmarch. Remember sword coast legend was following the previous storyline with demons, and the underdark being invaded etc...So they needed one video game they got it .The title still sells , the stroy will have nothing to do with previous one except the city still there more or less.

So they're using the brand to sell it. Completely new.

Sorta lame but w/e. As long as Larian doesn't use the armor system from D:OS2 and it's turn based... there may be hope.
They are already tweaking the hit chances, it wont be Faithfull to D&D 5e rules but thankfully for some autistic codexer 100% to the lore. Be very afraid....

Cross

Arcane
“We’ve gotten some pushback on some game mechanics,” Mearls admits. “You [indicating Vincke] have talked about how spell slots might not be the most intuitive thing.
Cooldowns pretty much confirmed.

At this rate Sword Coast Legends might turn out to be a more faithful D&D adaptation.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
If Mearls actually means that then it seems they are fucking hellbent at pissing away what success they've had with 5e.

Last edited:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
“You [indicating Vincke] have talked about how spell slots might not be the most intuitive thing.

What the hell is not intuitive about it? To whom? Braindead imbeciles? The slots represent the Vancian magic system which limits casting spells to a certain number per day.
You put a spell into a slot... and thats how many times you can use it in one day.
ffs.

Curratum

Because the ONLY, literally ONLY alternative to slot-based magic is "no resting and cooldowns". Don't be a bunch of kneejerking autists, please.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Its not the only alternative but the reason given for changing how slots work is nonsense. The Ui representation of how you select spells and put them into slots can be adjusted to be less confusing for morons but there is no need to completely change it - just because "someone" might find it "unintuitive".

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Because the ONLY, literally ONLY alternative to slot-based magic is "no resting and cooldowns". Don't be a bunch of kneejerking autists, please.

How would you deal with having a humongous and varied spell list that potentially has a solution for any problem come mid-level without preparing spells when you don't know what exactly you'll be facing?

Not having spell slots removes practically all challenge from the game or neuters magic.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What are the other alternatives? Binding 3 spells to your controller and spamming them to your heart's content?

Mortmal

Arcane
“You [indicating Vincke] have talked about how spell slots might not be the most intuitive thing.

What the hell is not intuitive about it? To whom? Braindead imbeciles? The slots represent the Vancian magic system which limits casting spells to a certain number per day.
You put a spell into a slot... and thats how many times you can use it in one day.
ffs.
It's not intuitive for the mainstream , mainstream game must be understood and played within 5 minutes with no knowledge at all of the rules or anything. So cooldown on spells and skills, skill trees and auto levels with premade builds.A for main attack B to dodge Y primary items, potions, i guess and a wheel to select spells.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The alternatives are cooldowns, mana pool, limited spell components, and just letting you spam with abandon. I know which one my money is on.

Last edited:

Curratum

Name one, una, un, jedan, jeden, een, en, yksi, eins, alternative.

The alternative is called a pool of magic points and it's how I'm playing D&D at the table. Slots and "preparing spells" can fuck right off, it's autistic bullshit that's only kept in the core books because TRADITION.

And don't tell me you become overpowered by having every spell prepared all the time - I went through both Baldur's Gate games by prepping the same 5 offensive spells forever.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
what has Bhaal been up to since his resurrection?

Anyway I trust Swen when they say BG3 will have nothing to do with bhaalspawn saga. What I don't get is why even include 3 in the title. just call it Baldur's Gate (202X) and reboot the series.

Right now Bhaal is extremely weak, and more akin to Sauron after his defeat during the Second Age: more akin to an evil spirit rather than an actual god.
There's no such mention of weakness, he claimed back the portfolio of murder from cyric, a greater god.He's referenced as greater power in the book.Go back to your studies kid !

It's directly stated in "Murder in Baldur's Gate". You just checked the Forgotten Realms Wiki, didn't you. Bravo.

It might be something like this:
Plot: Quoted from Diablo 2 Wki:
Diablo II Baldur's Gate 3 takes place after the end of the previous game, Diablo Decent into Avernus, in the world of Sanctuary Faerun. In Diablo Murder in Baldur's Gate, an unnamed warrior a total pussy defeated Diablo CHARNAME and attempted to contain the Lord of Terror's essence succeeded in raising Bhaal (the former Lord of Murder) within his own body. Since then, the hero pussy Viekang, has become corrupted by the demon's Bhaal's spirit, causing demons Mind Flayers to enter the world around him and wreak havoc turn citizens into genderless Mind Flayers through a process known as ceramaphosis the 'Beamdog Effect'.

A band of adventurers who pass through the Rogue Encampment Baldur's Gate hear these stories of destruction and attempt to find out the cause of the evil, starting with this corrupted (F3 TM) - "Dark Wanderer." As the story develops, the truth behind this corruption is revealed: the soulstones Bhaal essence(s) were originally intended to imprison the Prime Evils Bhaalspawn after they were banished to the mortal realm Celestia by the Lesser Evils CHARNAME. With the corruption of Diablo's soulstone the pussy Viekang, the demon resurrected Bhaal is able to control the Dark Wanderer Viekang and is attempting to free his two brothers Mephisto Myrkul, and Baal err...Bane. Baal Bane, united with the mage Tal-Rasha lesser god Xvim, is imprisoned in a tomb near Lut Gholein Amn. Myrkul is imprisoned in the eastern temple city of Kurast Icewind Dale.

As the story progresses, cut scenes show the Dark Wanderer's journey as a drifter named Marius Mizhena follows him. The player realizes that the Dark Wanderer's mission is to reunite with the other prime evils, Bane and Myrkul. The story is divided up into four acts: Google Stadia tiers, or DLC...
:mixedemotions:

Mortmal

Arcane
The alternatives are cooldowns, mana pool, limited spell components, and just letting you spam with abandon. I know which one I think is more likely.
Could work with vancian system, hand made encounters and sparce resting places. But no way it can possibly happen in a mainstream game , nor even indie since they are into retroshit inferior to even 80's games.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

The alternative is called a pool of magic points and it's how I'm playing D&D at the table. Slots and "preparing spells" can fuck right off, it's autistic bullshit that's only kept in the core books because TRADITION.

And don't tell me you become overpowered by having every spell prepared all the time - I went through both Baldur's Gate games by prepping the same 5 offensive spells forever.

This is too retarded even for the codex. Time to delete your account my man.

Yosharian

Arcane
https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/dungeons-and-dragons-6th-edition

Baldur’s Gate 3 will shape Dungeons and Dragons’ future story and maybe design
baldurs-gate-3-sword-1-580x334.jpg

Dungeons and Dragons publisher Wizards of the Coast told us that working with Baldur’s Gate III developer Larian Studios has been such a natural fit that it felt like “an extension of our own team.” So much so, as it turns out, that Larian might be inspiring Wizards.

At E3 2019, we caught up again with Larian co-founder Swen Wincke and D&D strategic director Mike Mearls. Naturally, as Baldur’s Gate III is based on the D&D universe, Wizards has had a huge influence on its design. Asked if working with Larian had had an impact in the opposite direction, here’s what Mearls had to say:

“It’s really exciting when a narrative design team takes something and starts adding a story to it. It starts [you] thinking: ‘oh wait, this could feed back into this thing over here, and there’s this thing here’. What comes after Baldur’s Gate III is going to be shaped by the stories told here.

That’s a possible allusion to D&D’s in-universe story, but Larian might have inspired some soul-searching at a mechanical level, too, citing D&D’s spell slots system as an example.

“We’ve gotten some pushback on some game mechanics,” Mearls admits. “You [indicating Vincke] have talked about how spell slots might not be the most intuitive thing. One of the things with Dungeons and Dragons, which I think is very important, is the method by which we do things is not as important for tabletop players as the actual effect on the table.”

So if somebody says spell slots might be something to look at again, “we would not just change it, but maybe we’ll start exploring alternatives, and then seeing – like, in a playtest – do people like them better? Does it get momentum?

“In some ways – especially in tabletop, because we have 45 years of history – it’s kinda fun to have someone smart who’s not you say: ‘you should consider changing this’.”

Mearls acknowledges there were “a lot of unchallenged assumptions” made during the design of fifth edition, which “we just implemented. But this is why it’s fun to be extending out to the gaming audience, growing our audience, getting more perspectives, and new channels of feedback. It’s been pretty exciting.”
Pure shit. My interest in this just went down the fucking toilet.

Yosharian

Arcane

And you get actual human beings to play with you on this table? Or do you just prop up your sex dolls in the chairs and LARP it?

Curratum

And you get actual human beings to play with you on this table? Or do you just prop up your sex dolls in the chairs and LARP it?

You do realize that the 5E core books do already have a system for this in place right?

Oh, wait, you're just a dumbass who thinks he knows D&D because he played Death Knights of Krynn back in 1991!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Man at this point I don't know if Sailor Woedica is a paid "totally not PR giuy" like in the Black Geyser thread, genuinely insane fan, or someone trying to emulate annoying fan persona in the Codex.
Would go for the insane and young and female fan. Clearly a creature to be feared......also it seems to be from the Balkans.

Yosharian

Arcane

You do realize that the 5E core books do already have a system for this in place right?

Oh, wait, you're just a dumbass who thinks he knows D&D because he played Death Knights of Krynn back in 1991!
Oh, that definitely means it's not retarded!

The spell point system makes spellcasters even more broken than they already are. What a joke.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
“We’ve gotten some pushback on some game mechanics,” Mearls admits. “You [indicating Vincke] have talked about how spell slots might not be the most intuitive thing. One of the things with Dungeons and Dragons, which I think is very important, is the method by which we do things is not as important for tabletop players as the actual effect on the table.”
:prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper:

fuck sake
so swen is not only shitting up bg3 it's also going to stink up D&D in general

Is this confirmation that BG3 won't have vancian casting? Or a resting system? Nice adaptation of the player's handbook Swen. Fuck you.
It looks to me that they are creating new Divinity game with the BG brand name. I am loosing all interest in this title,out side of mocking it on the codex.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Bhaal is NOT a deity, or even a demigod, since he doesn't have a portfolio."

Gods don't need a portfolio to be a god or even a demigod. They don't need worshippers necessarily ever. They need worshippers for power in the FR and they need Ao's permission to be active in the realms but need neither to be a 'god'.

"Cyric is a Greater Power, in other words, almost a god amongst gods, the top tier, the creme de la creme. How exactly would Bhaal just TAKE a portfolio from him? By asking nicely? Breaking and entering?"

Cyric was a mortal when he became a good and grabbed dieties' portfolios. So was Midnight and Kelemvor. You dumbfucked. Plus, Bhaal was mortal originally too and he 'took' a god's portofilio. YOU DUMB FUKK. Same with Myrkul and Bane.

" Thirdly, Bhaal, if he actually started claiming divinity without a porfolio, would have a nice, long chat with Ao."

Unless it has changed, Ao doesn't necessarily decide who is a god. He decides which gods have access to Realmspace. He can, say, ban the elven and dwarven dieties from Realmspace but Moradin and Corelleon would still be fukkin' gods. YOU DUMB SHITZ.

So if somebody says spell slots might be something to look at again, “we would not just change it, but maybe we’ll start exploring alternatives, and then seeing – like, in a playtest – do people like them better? Does it get momentum?"

FUKK OFF.

Vancien spell system is best spell system. It is very intuitive. How hard is it. Youa r elevel x so you can cast y number of spells per day. HOLY MOLY. So complex. :p

"You do realize that the 5E core books do already have a system for this in place right?"

So does 2E. L0L

And, I bet with further research, earlier editions too.

L0LZ

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom