Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Anyway, here's Tom's Hardware's impressions on the same demo. You can check it there. They say pretty much the same things of course, but written as an article instead of bullet points:
Thats a better explanation of the mission story.

It sound promising and better than Witcher 3 in the gameplay and rpg mechanics point of view, at least on paper, but the thing is: how many of these things will be cut or streamlined when deadlines will be coming and the time of release will be closer? Hopefully all the stuff they are showing right now are set in stone, they cut the demo before the cyberspace stuff, so probably they still don't know what to do with it, or its not fully developed yet.
Cyberspace part is the main story so of course they wont reveal that. I doubt youll be actually playing in cyberspace but visit it as you advance the main story.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Wow didn't expect no kill runs and skills, so Cyberpunk 2077 is definitely closer to the RPG genre than The Witcher 1-3 ever were. :incline:

The driving physics in the last demo felt like something out of the 90s, with the car literally sliding sideways instead of turning naturally with proper weight.

They were unable to implement realistic horse movement so no surprises there.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
1av7t1fosr331.png

Danikas

Arcane
In order to unlock the secrets to the biochip, what basically becomes the main thread of the game, you’ll have to meet up with Alt Cunningham, the most legendary net runner of all-time. The only problem? She’s dead.

But her consciousness lives on the web and you’ll need to do whatever it takes to track her down – including, but not limited to, befriending or eliminating leaders of the biggest gangs in Night City.

So Johnny ex is in the game too.

Keshik

Arcane
Would be surprised if anyone DOESN'T own the Witcher games at this point, what with sales and giveaways.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Someone got the whole story:

You can use perk points earned on level-ups to upgrade a number of categories: blades, rifles, handguns, assassination, cold-blood, sniper rifles, engineering, hacking, shotgun melee, two-handed, and maybe one more I didn't have time to write down. The level-up skill tree is a branching thing that looks like a motherboard almost, with cables going out from the center.
Hol the fuck up. Is this a skill set or what? How many points per level you get? If it's like Witcher 3 then we're played like a damn fiddle.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Back to the last 48 minutes demo, you get to choose which character is your childhood idol during the character creation and Johnny is one of the option. So if you choose other characters it might change the voice in your head to another character.

never mind just found out there won't be a companions system in the game and you get the companion to follow you "when the story calls", just like Witcher 3.

Danikas

Arcane
Back to the last 48 minutes demo, you get to choose which character is your childhood idol during the character creation and Johnny is one of the option. So if you choose other characters it might change the voice in your head to another character.

never mind just found out there won't be a companions system in the game and you get the companion to follow you "when the story calls", just like Witcher 3.

In Bloomberg interview Marcin Iwiński said that Keanu after Main character has the most spoken dialogue lines. So I think you will get him in the story no matter what.

Quillon

Arcane
Also Samurai was only 1 of 3 backstory choices unless they changed something; maybe different characters would greet V there in other 2 cases instead of Keanu's

After reading through the new gameplay summaries, I don't think its likely. Silverhand must be part of that chip no matter what. And the backstories could be changed slightly or varied more; since they mention "street kid life path", which wasn't in the gameplay reveal. And they'd need to get 2 more Keanu caliber actors to not make it an unfair choice :P

jf8350143

Liturgist
Also Samurai was only 1 of 3 backstory choices unless they changed something; maybe different characters would greet V there in other 2 cases instead of Keanu's

After reading through the new gameplay summaries, I don't think its likely. Silverhand must be part of that chip no matter what. And the backstories could be changed slightly or varied more; since they mention "street kid life path", which wasn't in the gameplay reveal. And they'd need to get 2 more Keanu caliber actors to not make it an unfair choice :P
The lady gaga rumour suddenly makes more sense now doesn't it.

ADL

Prophet
That was my immediate thought when Keanu was revealed but Morgan Blackhand and Saburo Arasaka are men.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Like others have already said, if non-lethal playthroughs are real, then consider that evidence of steep and almost unscalable incline.

That said, what is this story? The Witcher 3's story survived entirely on the strength of its characters, while the plot was... okay.
Here, we have another kinda basic genre-setting-plot, but these characters don't grab me. The cholo is annoying, the kang seems like an idiot even though he's supposed to be a kangpin, and the corporate dyke is yet another corporate dyke. I want Blade Runner or Ghost in the Shell, but I don't think we're gonna get that. Hopefully the side content is deep and vast.

1st person is definitely the right choice.
If I have to choose between 1st and 3rd... I don't know, melee combat has been shit in every 1st person game I've seen it, yes, including KCD.
Honestly, For Honor had really fun first person combat. Granted I played it on console when it was a free demo... It was a simplified, but also a weightier and less bizarre feeling KCD. That KCD/For Honor model ought to be the springboard for innovation in future first person melee combat.

On that note, a guy is making a mod for Morrowind with hit detection on body parts, and it looks surprisingly decent.
Could be worse. They could've cast Goldie Hawn.
That's the big secret they found in the unboxing. Goldie Hawn has lost her memory due to cybernetic implants that make her fertile again. Keanu Reeves has taken her hostage as a fake wife, and it's up to V[irgin] to save her second round of chastity so you can conquer her yourself.
Take notes CDPR. That is how you write a metastory with star power and immediate cult fanaticism.
On the matter of the RPG acronym not being presented in the games description:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...dyskusja-ogolna.7901440/page-61#post-11564989
(Translation not mine)
Cyberpunk will be a pure RPG that our studio is known for. Choices and consequences, character progression, dialogues and all kinds of mechanics typical for the genre will be in the game. Please, do not worry.
Take those as you will...

The polish wording is a bit more ensuring:
'Cyberpunk 2077 będzie RPGiem z krwi i kości, z jakich znane jest nasze studio. Wybory i konsekwencje, rozwój postaci, dialogi, oraz wszystkie charakterystyczne dla tego gatunku mechaniki znajdą się w grze. Proszę się nie martwić. '

Cyberpunk will be a RPG from blood and bones (of an RPG ), that our studio is known for. Choices and consequences, character progression, dialogues and all kinds of mechanics typical for the genre will be in the game. Please, do not worry.
The polish use of 'from blood and bones' is referring and reinforcing on something that is real (not necessary only pure) and true to its detail and not a ghost or fata morgana or wishful thinking.
They know their Polish audience are RPG fans, and so they're marketing it as one. In America, they call it an adventure, because they know Americans require Michael Bays farts in higher ppm than oxygen.
Don't know if this was posted here,but it looks like something people here would be interested in.

https://af.gog.com/game/simply_red_cd_projekt_red_collection?as=1649904300

It is a full cd project red pack that have all the witcher games and cyberpunk,it costs only 90 bucks. It is a great steal if you don't own the witcher games.
Tempting, but a true man avoids temptation. No preorders.
The rest of the sale is fantastic though. Pretty much every game the Codex likes has a discount.

Last edited by a moderator:

jf8350143

Liturgist
That was my immediate thought when Keanu was revealed but Morgan Blackhand and Saburo Arasaka are men.
I thought there was a female one out there but looks like my memory failed me.

Strange choice though, I expect they would at least have one female option just for the sake of it.

Quillon

Arcane
The lady gaga rumour suddenly makes more sense now doesn't it.

All three childhood heroes are male, if Saburo is a male name :P if not he/she must be asian anyway. Lady Gaga could be part of this game too easily for many roles tho, they could make her lead of a rockband as an obvious option.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Ahem, Saburo was a 100+ yrs old fart, who was a head of Arasaka corporation and the main antagonist of CP2020s metaplot, Johny Silverhand suffered alot from and lost a body of a girlfriend to Arasaka. I wonder if choosing Saburo as a childhood hero will spark any conflict with ingame Keanu.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom