Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs going the "interactive movie" route - yes or no?

RPGs going the "interactive movie" route - yes or no?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I don't know what are asking, because I don't know what "interactive movie" means for you, and every one of us has a different conception about what it stands for.

I DO believe videogames would greatly benefit from taking a more cinematic approach when it doesn't interfere with player choice (especifically thinking about RPGs here). For instance, long-winded big baddie dialogue with no player options could be easily turned into an interesting cinematic. I'd rather watch a proper cinematic than pressing buttons like a retard if all I'm achieving is "next dialogue, next dialogue, next dialogue".

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Depends on what you mean, if you think RPGs are trying to offer the "cinematic experience" then yeah, they did that already and it's part of why most modern RPGs are awful. Games aren't movies and they really shouldn't try to be.

Covenant

Savant
The problem isn't even necessarily that they're trying to create a cinematic experience, but that they're approaching that idea from the direction of movies, rather than videogames. Cinematic videogames have a proud and awesome history - Another World/Out of This World being the best example that springs to mind. It manages to tell a unique and memorable story without ever using dialogue, and never leaving you in the passive role of the voyeur for more than a few seconds at a time. Compare that to games nowadays with frequent cutscenes over ten minutes in length.

And you don't need cinematic experience to be the aim of the game to utilise those techniques; plenty of regular games from a bunch of genres achieved the same thing. Escaping Zebes after killing Mother Brain before the complex blew up and killed you... cinematic. Jumping across giant cogs in Die by the Sword was cinematic. Even an Orb run on Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup can be cinematic with a bit of luck from the enemy spawns.

The key aspect of all these cool moments is the tension, the fear that you could fail. The danger is what made it thrilling. What kind of danger is there in watching cutscene after cutscene? With the exception of QTEs, which are lazy and shit, there's no chance to fail. The only danger you'll find is the danger of realising you've wasted your money on a shit movie wannabe that pads out its running time with simplistic gameplay that even a child could complete.

Ironically, I'm struggling to think of good RPG examples of cinematic gameplay as opposed to cutscenes. I suppose as a genre it's the most vulnerable to the influence of movies. Plus RPGs generally seem to abhor consequential succeed/fail dynamics - the last games I remember routinely feeling real fear at the prospect of loss were probably things like Wizardry, trying to make it back to town with only a couple of characters left alive. Etrian Odyssey and other games have an echo of this in that you can lose progress if you die before saving, but things like 'Warp straight to town' items or 'Save anywhere' design make it rather toothless. Ironman modes can bring the fear back, and are still found in a handful of games being made today, but games are rarely sufficiently balanced for it.

If you've read all that and you still don't know what I'm talking about when I say cinematic gameplay, then take your favourite squad-based RPG - Jagged Alliance 2, UFO Defense/X-Piratez/X-Files, Battle Brothers, Silent Storm, whatever, and play it on a single save file, only saving when you turn it off for the day. I practically guarantee you that by the time your run ends, you'll have the urge to share something about your campaign, whether it's your lucky escapes, your undeserved deaths, your glorious victory or your ignoble defeat.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
They won't because before that happens I will kill all... of these who are responsible for this.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The peak of cutscene heavy "cinematic" RPGs would be the railroady JRPGs of the PS/PS2 era in my mind. I feel like we've moved a fair amount away from that now.

Lemming42

Arcane
Like others, I don't know what's being asked here. I like "cinematic" games such as Metro, where it feels like you're "playing a movie" - heavily scripted (this can be a good thing), hand-crafted action with big memorable set-piece moments.

If the question is "do you like 20 minute cutscenes", then no. If the question is "do you like Metro, Half-Life, Max Payne, etc" then yes. But you specified RPGs, and I can't actually think of any RPGs that I'd describe as cinematic - even big-name triple A mainstream ones like Skyrim, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout 3/NV and others are more about gameplay and mechanics (good or otherwise) than cutscenes* or scripted action. This appears to be the case for Cyberpunk, Watchdogs and other upcoming games too.

*I'd count dialogue scenes as gameplay rather than cutscenes

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom