Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

KK1001

Arbiter
Keanu will be in every play through, no doubt. The central plot revolves around everyone (good guy hackers, evil gang, militech, arasaka) trying to get their hands on the immortality chip which probably contains the last copy of the program Alt Cunningham (played by Lady Gaga of course :) ) used to copy herself into cyberspace.

My instinct is that it will be similarish to New Vegas mixed with Witcher 3 in terms of main story structure: different factions you can side with or work with for some missions, but which probably branches back into the main storyline before branching out, back in, etc.

NullFlow

Savant
I gotta say the previews with their descriptions of the boss battle doesn't inspire me much. It's just "shoot the glowing weak point", and the 2018 48 minute demo was more of the same as well.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
1560301638182.jpg

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I legitimately got more excited reading some of the new information. It's clearly a step ahead of TW3 in terms of RPG elements but I'm still bothered by the annoying protagonist.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
I legitimately got more excited reading some of the new information. It's clearly a step ahead of TW3 in terms of RPG elements but I'm still bothered by the annoying protagonist.

Why? He is not a seasoned (in)famous veteran like Geralt but a young unknown hot shot with little experience who wants to make a name for himself.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Not to mention you make your own character completely.

btw... is player voiced too or only npcs? cant remember right now. If not, it will be all the more easier to imagine and create your own character.

As for good... ok FP melee combat, there were some examples. Butchers bay, obviously and Dishonored games gave a decent, chunky representation. Dark messiah of M&M was alright for such a constricting pov.
None of it is actually good or great but those were examples where it wasnt horrible. With some luck, we will get TP and some mods maybe like W3 has to enable us to move the camera further away.
I got Geralt to almost half of usual isometric distance pov and its pretty fucking great. For an ARPG. And no, the camera just snaps to interior walls when needed so no problems there.

And no, i dont need to stick my nose in the noodles in a china shop to get immershun.

Quillon

Arcane
I like the male voice; it has that...something, fits with the ambitious young man who is courageous only cos he doesn't know enough and about to get hit in the gut by life...spirit. Didn't like the female one; has the same vibe but also has that potential of using & discarding people when they ain't useful no more voice. I can picture that Jackie & male V being bros but Jackie could only be a lackie around female V...in my imagination :P

CyberModuled

Savant
Aside from the fact that it's blatant commentary CDPR is making in regards to how corporations advertise fetishes to sell products, they sure as hell better not remove that when it's probably a reference to old art from 2020.

zfYAwF5

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seems like an awfully aggressive nomenclature for a game that claims to support passive, non-aggressive runs. Sounds to me like people who do non-aggressive runs will get fucked out of rewards/progression systems.

So? Firstly I doubt it as even DXHR had XP bonuses for ghost/non-lethal types of approaches which cancelled out the XP gain from killing everyone so it's not hard to come up with something.

Secondly...why should each approach give you the same reward? Everyone on Codex rages about 'balance', rightly pointing out that there should be more or less viable approaches and making everything balanced just makes everything the same. Yet here, and indeed in other discussions like this, people complain that non-lethal gets less XP, that there's less variety in 'weapons' and approaches etc. But why should it be the same? IRL there's a million diffferent guns that kill, but much fewer varieties of stun guns for example. In Thief, I always played non-lethal, both cause always on expert, but even when it wasn't a requirement to leave humans alive, I still did so. I knew there were cool toys for the killer Thief, but for me Garrett was a gentleman Rogue, not some murderer for coin, and I enjoyed making things harder and more limited for myself.

tl;dr

A non-lethal playthrough should be its own reward(though post game text, cut scene, or even an accolade like an achievement is cool too), and if it's all the harder to do, and gimps you well then it's a good moral choice isn't it? Do you take the quick and easy path of the dark side with more rewards or stay true to the path of the light? Isn't that also what we are often complaining that evil choice in gaming has no benefit over the good option? What if it was the other way round and being good was much more of a pain in the arse?

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-e3-2019-gameplay/

• The character creator isn't final, but it has the expected hair, skin, and facial feature options, if not the monstrous depth the Dark Souls or Mass Effect systems have.
ehhh, seems like there is no different face option. Sucks.

• There's also an option to choose your background: street kid, nomad, or corporate.
Three backgrounds. Nomad for me.

• But our V takes the back route and sneaks in, crouching behind objects to avoid enemy patrols.
Looks like maybe there is no convenient vents for stealth, which is very good. Instead, actual sneaking and hacking does the work.

• It's also about when we get a look at the perk tree, separate from the skill point system. As you play and level up, you'll be able to put that experience towards perks in that open up new abilities or buff exisiting stats/skills in 12 branches: handguns, rifles, blades, hacking, shotguns, two-handed combat, assassination, cold blood, sniper rifles, engineering, melee, and athletics.
12 branches are fine. Separate skills points for the same 12 branches i guess...

• From there, we whip between hacker V and strong V a few more times, culminating in a disappointingly conventional boss fight. The local Animal gang leader is decked out with strength-enhancing tech too, enough to let her wield a massive hammer. But her metal muscles are easily disabled by shooting the massive purple spot on her back.

Purple spots to shoot... could it be more arcade gamey, eh? Why not just hack or fight? Another article mentioned you can shoot npcs in the limbs so why not use targeting and damaging here too for something better then dumb glowing purple spots?

why the fuck would you want third person lol
Why the fuk wouldnt I?
Because it's an immersive sim and even having the option would be dumb. If you need third person in this kind of game, I think it'd be wise to just accept that this one ain't for you.

How about instead, you go fuck yourself? :) that seems like much better option to me.

FPS tard.

immershun dumbfuck.

KK1001

Arbiter
Nah, you're the dumbfuck. Asking for third person in a game where the levels are designed for third person, the in-game cutscenes are first person, the UI is first person, and the game relies heavily on the detail of small objects and the size of large buildings and crowded streets to immerse is idiotic. Even the option to switch between the two means they'll have to spend even a nanosecond thinking about how to make a "middle ground" in the aforementioned things that'll just make the game shit.

To Hiver, not Button.

norolim

Arcane
Because it's an immersive sim and even having the option would be dumb. If you need third person in this kind of game, I think it'd be wise to just accept that this one ain't for you.
What's with the nufags and their immershun on the Codex. It's not the first time I read something stupid like that since I returned. Are all the old farts gone and there is no one left to mock the fuckers with "Joined:" quotes?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow didn't expect no kill runs and skills, so Cyberpunk 2077 is definitely closer to the RPG genre than The Witcher 1-3 ever were. :incline:

Hey, leave The Witcher 1, one of cRPG masterpieces, alone and don't compare it with the follow up action-adventures FFS!

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The new audience Swen is after.

Nah, you're the dumbfuck. Asking for third person in a game where the levels are designed for third person, the in-game cutscenes are first person, the UI is first person, and the game relies heavily on the detail of small objects and the size of large buildings and crowded streets to immerse is idiotic. Even the option to switch between the two means they'll have to spend even a nanosecond thinking about how to make a "middle ground" in the aforementioned things that'll just make the game shit.

To Hiver, not Button.

Level design is not distorted to fit the PoV, moron. It stays the same no matter what PoV you are looking from and TP is barely different, slightly removed then FP.
Cutscenes dont matter, whats important in them remains the same, the Ui is a surface over the screen you laughable imbecile, not over your eyes.

The details of small object dont matter unless you plan to closely inspect every single irrelevant item in the game world, any quest important ones will have that info shown in Ui or quest journal anyway, the size of buildings and especially crowded streets dont change - and they especially dont create immersion viewed only from FP you retarded dumb mass market shit.

The quality of the game creates the immersion. The skills, the quests, the mechanics, the story, C&C.... thats what really matters.

Its only you ludicrous dumbfucks that just like that "in your face" pov for subjective reasons. There is no special immersion related to it, unless you think having a box on your head to look through is immersive for you - which is what makes you a ratarded dumb imbecile. Not to mention you will have your FP to enjoy regardless, so you are only bitching about something irrelevant to you - because you are a dumb turd.

And im not asking for anything. They wont provide it. But i sure will use it if anyone mods it, cretin.

KK1001

Arbiter
If the differences were so minimal, there wouldn't be such vast mechanical differences between third and first person shooting. Go play Mass Effect or Gears please.

Yosharian

Arcane
You're not a very pleasant person, are you? It's exhausting reading through all this 'dumbfuck' this, 'moron' that, let alone participating in it. Do you have to be like this every time you disagree with someone?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom