Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Western great games are dead. Now it's up to Japs and Poles.

Swigen

Arbiter
All right, all right, I anticipated a few retardeds and shit ratings, but I saved my best for last. I didn’t even tell you about Twisted Metal: Head On!!!

Twisted_Metal_Head_On.jpg
scus-97621-game-ss-1

Booooom!! Game OVER!!!!! You never even had a chance!!

Guile-Street-Fighter-II-Anniversary-on-Game-Art-HQ-Art-by_crescentdebris-.jpg
USA!! USA!!!!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Even if he did it mockingly, the point is still valid enough. Something did happen around 2004 that made most Western AAA Devs do a complete 180 on the way they perceive what games are and should be.
What was it and why?

The Xbox brought traditionally PC genres to the masses. That was the big switcheroo. Though the Japanese never made good games after the SNES, so the West beat them by a handful of years at least.

Machocruz

Arcane
The west stopped thinking games should be about challenge and/or problem solving. Thus, watery shit combat mechanics, stealth game wall hax, map markers, waypoints in linear action games, and press X to open doors reminders.

I'm not even saying games should be hard, but they should require some brain activity and/or manual dexterity, a feeling of "I can lose/fail if I'm not careful".

But lest we lay this all at the feet of game companies, remember that average kwan consumer is afraid of math and humility.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I see y’all forgot about Blizzard...

Fuckin’ World of Warcraft
Diablo 3
Starcraft 2
Overwatch
Blizzard has had to hide active subs for years now and has to re-release a game from 2004 - that should confirm everything I said. And when some random no-name streamer organized a dueling event in classic beta, 180k people tuned in to watch. Nobody watches retail wow that much anymore. Get a clue.

Black Angel

Arcane
Ah, shit, I hope they're not scoping From Software now that they're seemingly starting to make even bigger buzz collaborating with GRRM, regardless of whether GRRM is a good author or not.

Onionguy

Educated

• Those 3 Pokemon games are very good JRPG's, with fun campgains and fairly complex gameplay mechanics - even more complex and well designed than a lot of WRPG's, at which you'll say I'm retarded and I'll answer: "Go learn about EV and IV training, just for starter's".
  • Viewtiful Joe is simply just a damn fun videogame.
  • Metroid Prime 2 is a worthy sequel to Prime 1 (which was a great game).
  • Resident Evil 4. Good combat mechanics + fine tuned resource management + well designed enemies = great action. A 3 act campgnain, with a variety of challenges, vastly different locations in every act all the while just being such well paced experience. The end-game content (specially The Mercenaires mode) were great. In conclusion, an amazing game.
  • MGS3 is literraly the best game Kojimbo ever made, one that is definetivly great.
  • DMC3, Ninja Gaiden Black and God Hand are stil one the best and most challenging action games out there.
  • The Dark Spire is a spectacular bloobler on the vein of Wizardry 1-4. IMO one the best made by Jap devs.
  • Ninja Gaiden 2 is NGB but whitout any fucking restraint.
  • Bayonetta is the last worthwhile game that Kamya made.
  • Everyone here knows why DeS, DS1 and DS2 are good.
  • Dragon's Dogma has the best enemy design of any action game in a fantasy setting. Plus the combat system is good to say the least and magic is done right. Add to that an unique class and pawn (the game's companion's) and it's not far fectched to call it a very good game.
  • Metal Gear Rising. Nanomachines son!
  • I already explained in my first post that gameplay and AI wise there still isn't a better military type game than MGSV. And that Ground Zeroes doesn't suffer from Phantom Pain's lack of equally good content.
  • NIOH is at least as good as Severance.
  • Zelda BotW is the best open world game to come out since New Vegas.
  • Mario Odyssey is the best 3D Mario since 64.
  • Monster Hunter World is the best in the series.
  • Megaman 11 is an excellent return to from.
  • DMC5 is way better than DMC3.
  • Smash Ultimate is as good as Melee - so a great fighting game (although I still prefer Melee).
So yeah, I am being serious.

Nier Automata is overrated crap.

The game has.... other assets. :smug:

I do agree the game is overrated though, but it's not trash. The combat is fine and for every 2/3 boring missions there's 1 which is pretty fun.

Metroid Prime games are not really japanese.

All right, all right, I anticipated a few retardeds and shit ratings, but I saved my best for last. I didn’t even tell you about Twisted Metal: Head On!!!

Twisted_Metal_Head_On.jpg
scus-97621-game-ss-1

Holy crap, I had that game. Today I remembered for the first time in 12 years that I own a PSP.

Like in the 90s? How many of these games were actually good?

Just the best and only from 90's?

Strategy/Economy: Legion, Kupiec, Earth 2140, Clash, Polanie
Tactical: Gorky 17, Rezerwowe Psy
FPS: Target, Mortyr 2093-1944, Pył
Beat'em ups: Franko, Doman
Metroidvania: Miecze Valdgira 1&2
Point'n'Click Adventure: Sołtys, Skaut Kwatermaster, Sfinx, Książe i Tchórz, Wacki: Kosmiczna Rozgrywka, A.D. 2044, Noc, Ciemna Strona
RPG: Otchłań (obscure and text-based but I've been playing the hell out of demo)

Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Like in the 90s? How many of these games were actually good?

Just the best and only from 90's?

Strategy/Economy: Legion, Kupiec, Earth 2140, Clash, Polanie
Tactical: Gorky 17, Rezerwowe Psy
FPS: Target, Mortyr 2093-1944, Pył
Beat'em ups: Franko, Doman
Metroidvania: Miecze Valdgira 1&2
Point'n'Click Adventure: Sołtys, Skaut Kwatermaster, Sfinx, Książe i Tchórz, Wacki: Kosmiczna Rozgrywka, A.D. 2044, Noc, Ciemna Strona
RPG: Otchłań (obscure and text-based but I've been playing the hell out of demo)
These games are hardly "ACE". Some are competent (Gorky was cool, Książe i Tchórz and Wacki maybe, never played Pył but heard it was ok) and some are shit (Target, Noc..lol, same goes for Franko which was cool because of the local flavor but compare it to its contemporaries in the beat'em up genre). BTW thre is one Polish game from the 90s that I liked and it was also on a good level tech wise - Fire Fight, it was a game similar to desert/jungle strike but with a futuristic setting, also published by EA xD

BTW thre is one Polish game from the 90s that I liked and it was also on a good level tech wise - Fire Fight, it was a game similar to desert/jungle strike but with a futuristic setting, also published by EA xD

Heh, I was going to mentioned FF, loved that one - an isometric shooter with Quake-like control scheme (mouse + strafing). The idea is somehow similar to Take No Prisoners / Mageslayer but gaem was made one year earlier.

Curratum

Let me go through my library, I think a dozen amazing games that came out after 2004 and are neither Polish nor Japanese should do the trick.

This is without mentioning the RPGs that are already liked and popular here. In alphabetical order:

Amid Evil
Conan Exiles
Dirt Rally
Dishonored
Dusk
Legend of Grimrock
Memoria
Opus Magnum
Overload
Quest for Infamy
STALKER Call of Pripyat
Salt and Sanctuary
Street Fighter 5
War for the Overworld
The Witness

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Metroid Prime games are not really japanese.

Alright my bad. But still it is produced by Nintendo.

Let me go through my library, I think a dozen amazing games that came out after 2004 and are neither Polish nor Japanese should do the trick.

This is without mentioning the RPGs that are already liked and popular here. In alphabetical order:

Amid Evil
Conan Exiles
Dirt Rally
Dishonored
Dusk
Legend of Grimrock
Memoria
Opus Magnum
Overload
Quest for Infamy
STALKER Call of Pripyat
Salt and Sanctuary
Street Fighter 5
War for the Overworld
The Witness

... are neither Polish nor Japanese ...
Street Fighter 5

:hmmm:

Even more it's the worse Street Fighter to date. Also there's no AAA titles on your list - besides Dishonored which, let's be honest, isn't anything amazing.

Curratum

My bad, I got carried away and put DQ XI in there as well, then pruned it out as it's JP, SF5 slipped through.

SF5 is actually the best SF to date since SF2, I have no idea what you're talking about. Have you actually played the game or have you heard how SF4 players are complaining it's been casualised? :D

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Are you kidding me. The game shipped without an arcade mode, for crying out loud.
Which brings to the question, why the fuck did they change entire movesets? Someone of them existed since the SNES, and not one of those changes were done for the better. Take Bison, why did they remove the Psycho Crusher, it's the backbone of his entire fucking moveset.
I am not even that much into fighting games, but SF5 is the worst one to date.
Also Vega is my main, so I admitedly got pissed when they made him not a charge character anymore.

EDIT: SF4 has already streamlined compared to the previous entries. I think perhaps Yoshinori Ono is the main perpetrator behind these changes. Since he was the main producer/project manager in both SF4 and 5.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom