Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I recall that Obsidian actually did try to do a slam dunk sequel (or some kind of contract work?) to Human Revolution (they even brought in JES to play test), but those plans fell through. Not happening now with Microsoft.

Flou

Arbiter
I recall that Obsidian actually did try to do a slam dunk sequel (or some kind of contract work?) to Human Revolution (they even brought in JES to play test), but those plans fell through. Not happening now with Microsoft.

Didn't that have something do with Thief failing badly, so they gave the project to their own team, since they would not be doing any work on Thief franchise.

Fairfax

Arcane
According to Feargus, SE wanted Obsidian to make a sequel to Human Revolution, but there was a 'budgetary issue' and then Thief bombed, so SE decided to make it internally.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
According to Feargus, SE wanted Obsidian to make a sequel to Human Revolution, but there was a 'budgetary issue' and then Thief bombed, so SE decided to make it internally.

Looking at what happened with MD, that might've been a mistake on SE's part afterall...

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

So in other words, Feargus inflated the budget so SE went "fuck that"?

Sentinel

Arcane
MD was better than HR in every way. MD's fuck ups were all SE's doing. That marketing campaign was a monumental disaster.

Be that as it may, Deus Ex is now (as far as I know) on an indefinite hiatus.
It'll get a revival if CP2077 is a success. I hope it gets handed to Eidos Montréal again, because they had some very passionate people, especially the Art Director. That dude was ace.

MD was better than HR in every way. MD's fuck ups were all SE's doing. That marketing campaign was a monumental disaster.

Be that as it may, Deus Ex is now (as far as I know) on an indefinite hiatus.
It'll get a revival if CP2077 is a success. I hope it gets handed to Eidos Montréal again, because they had some very passionate people, especially the Art Director. That dude was ace.

You must be a pee fetishist. Only excuse for enjoying that godawful filter on everything.

Fairfax

Arcane
Looking at what happened with MD, that might've been a mistake on SE's part afterall...
There's little about MD that could've been improved by Obsidian, and plenty that could've been worse. Not to mention Obsidian was busy with PoE, Tyranny, and AW at the time, so the project would have started without their top talent.

Also, as mentioned above, most of the game's problems were SE's fault anyway.

So in other words, Feargus inflated the budget so SE went "fuck that"?
Either that or SE had lower than expected revenue and didn't want hire a third-party to develop the game for them.

Quillon

Arcane
It'll get a revival if CP2077 is a success.

I think they are not doing a sequel partly cos there is CP77 looming about, why would Eidos(SE?) greenlight an AAA first person Deus Ex RPG atm only to be dwarfed by 77 and ridiculed by fans comparing it to 77? Even TOW is very lucky that they didn't finish CP77 earlier.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think there were some tweets by some (ex?) Square Enix guy saying how Feargus exaggerated the talk about Obsidian's DX. I forgot.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I think there were some tweets by some (ex?) Square Enix guy saying how Feargus exaggerated the talk about Obsidian's DX. I forgot.
Avellone said he exaggerated too. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...archies-and-more.121588/page-177#post-5603582

Also, should probably say it on Mankind Divided: They weren't asking us to do all the content for the game, we were going to be asked to build a % of the game's levels with them, so please don't consider it as "hey, Obsidian could have done DX: MD." (Also, the writer, Mary DeMarle, Homeworld and DXHR is an amazing writer, so there wouldn't have been any need for writer resources, imo) - Anyway, as simple as the contract was, and as much as we needed income, Feargus could not get the deal signed despite how much we needed work to stay afloat.

Latro

Arcane
There's little about MD that could've been improved by Obsidian, and plenty that could've been worse.
I am confident it could have had a better plot. I read a synopsis for MD's and it was so boring and "Why would I care about any of this?"
HR had a completely dull story, I remember little except Tracer Tong being mowgli from the jungle book. HR only honored the soft-philosophical tone from DR with none of the likeable one-liners. Not sure why they didn't get Sheldon Pacotti back.

If I had to make an analogy, the DX series under Marie Demarle was like a cybernetic version of 24, while Pacotti's was classic X-Files.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
HR had a completely dull story, I remember little except Tracer Tong being mowgli from the jungle book. HR only honored the soft-philosophical tone from DR with none of the likeable one-liners. Not sure why they didn't get Sheldon Pacotti back.
I liked the tale of Adam Jensen's angst, cuckolding, and revenge well enough. He (and thus I) had a personal stake in what was going on. With MD, there doesn't appear to be a personal stake.

And there were one-liners. :rpgcodex: "I didn't ask for this" and "Yeah, RIP" being the most meme'd among them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom