Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Bigg Boss

Arcane
igJWkdf.jpg

Sgxcxdm.png

It lives!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That is actually cool but it is pandering so it goes back to uncool. Fuck them for making me have a brief rush of feelz.

So this thread will suck no matter what. What would a real Doom sequel have, if it was old school sprites, that Doom 2 did not have? Aside from more bad guy types. Jumping is a given I think. Besides the Gzdoom staples...More guns of course. More than one character mmaaaaybbbe. Probably a female. Just spitballing here.

A new location that is not Earth or Mars or Saturn or Pluto...a Hub world might have been something worth going for at one point. Not sure on that but Hexen pulled it off. Barely. Strife showed the limits of what could be done with the OG engine for certain.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Cool shit I noticed from the new footage:

• The overpowered Stun Bomb from the first game which let you easily disable any higher-tier enemy and anyone near it has now been replaced with the Microwave Beam, which serves the same function as stunlock tool, but now requires you to commit to it by focusing on one enemy only instead of being able to simply stun a whole group of enemies with ease. The Heat Blast from the first game seems to have been replaced with a more useful seeming BFG-like shot too?
  • The Combat Shotgun has now been buffed and is bound to be no longer useless, now that Charged Burst has been replaced with an automatic fire mode and the Explosive Shell attachment can fire three shells before having to cooldown.
  • Melee strikes are now actually worth a damn as a stun tool which deal AoE damage too, however they require two Glory Kills in order to be boosted to full power.
  • The Chaingun's default primary fire no longer seems to have a wind-up and making it much more useful overall. Mobile Turret mode is still present.
  • The Super Shotgun has a grappling hook attachment. Sick.
  • Dashing and mid-air dashing should make dodging projectiles more consistent and ascending arena levels less reliant on mantling given your relatively slow base movement speed.
  • Pole vaulting should enable smoother transitions to higher levels in arena from the ground.
  • Equipment items are now fired with a shoulder-mounted launcher, meaning you don't have to lower your gun and stop firing just to fire a useless grenade, so it's worth using equipment items more for optimizing damage, especially with the new flamethrower attachment.
  • Upgrade system has been streamlined for the better: you now find upgrades on the field which are applicable immediately, instead of having to trawl through menus to find something to spend your items on.
  • There seems to be more environmental interactions in arenas through more environmental hazards and switches which can trigger traps
  • Platforming seems to be more extensive by involving more platforming, underwater swimming, and areas of hazardous waste which require radsuits to wade through unharmed
  • New enemies aside from the Doom 2 returnees involve: a Scrag-like enemy which can fly and shoot arcing yellow projectiles, an enemy called the Prowler (?) which fires projectiles in a spread pattern and can teleport around, an enemy which can plop down a shield to protect other demons, and more remains to be seen

Miss me with this shit:
  • Instead of walking down a sparsely populated corridor inbetween arenas it seems now they're trying to pad things out with more platforming.
  • The new HUD is too bright and too messy, as if they're trying to ape the Project Brutality HUD. The QuakeCon build HUD had the right balance between the informativeness of the 2016 HUD with some more unique visual identity.
  • Grappling hook being only restricted to the super shotgun instead of your shoulder mounted launcher seems like wasted opportunity.
  • Cooldown balancing out of the ass. Even the grappling hook is on cooldown.
  • We're still going to have unskippable first-person (not really first-person anymore) cutscenes. At least my gut is telling me they're unskippable like in the last game.
  • Positional audio and sound mixing still sounds god-awful, making it hard to determine the position of incoming sounds.
  • Enemy cooperation doesn't seem to be present, so the existence of something like the new shield generator demon seems pointless if other demons aren't capable to make use of it against you.
  • The flawed original implementation of Glory Kills (temporarily compromised situational awareness means you can lose track of enemies as they flank you, locks you in one place, breaks up the pacing) has gone seemingly unchanged
  • Enemies which can actually lock down your mobility seem still largely missing, so enemy prioritization still doesn't seem to be a thing either.
  • The Pain Elemental looks more like it's a glorified homing missile launcher (if the role of Lost Souls in the last game is any indication) rather than an actual summoner-type threat. Maybe the actual Summoner from the last game will be present (and hopefully more often this time around).
  • The flawed original implementation of the Chainsaw->Ammo mechanic is still present, so it's unlikely that you're ever at the threat of having no ammo and no chainsaw fuel left.

So it looks like my original hunch was correct where they're adding cool shit and minor improvements on top of a flawed core.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Doom III was more akin to the originals in tone. The new ones are retarded Brutal Doom ripoffs. They even stole the mantling from the newer variants of Brutal Doom. Disgusting fucks.

What did Doom III have tonally to do with originals? Cramped up tiny corridors? Everything being covered in darkness? Guns sounding and behaving like they fired peas? Re-using same colour pallette over and over and over and over again in those samey monotone corridors? The -story-? I am a little bit confused here.

I guess the rooms behind walls were very Doom-like.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The tiny rooms and slow as hell movement speed is what kills Doom 3. I'm actually ok with the presentation of the game. It's basically a shit version of system shock but with jaw dropping visuals. Story telling and such was actually fine from a schlock point of view, but the fucking gameplay is unbearable. There's one level in particular where for the first time you are in a largish room and you get the chance to do a bit of strafe gunning, and you can't dodge anything because your character is just too fucking slow. It was unreal. There's a mod that increases your running speed but you can't fix the maps so it was a bit redundant.

Honestly i wish they had gone full survivor horror. Even with id's pedestrian writing it would have at least been better than what we got.

With that said, i'm still thorn about which game is actually worse. Doom 2016 seems to have better gameplay, at least on paper, but it's not exactly stellar and all those self-referential meta crap is actually more annoying than id's poor attempt at making Half-Life in space. Doom 3 feels like a game. Doom 2016 feels like some try hard parody.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Based on that video Morgoth posted, flamethrower kills drop armor, glory kills drop medkits, and chainsaw drops ammo. Provided they reduce the amount of medkits, armor, and ammo in the environment, it could be a decent change (i.e., little to no risk-free resources). Does the flamethrower use fuel akin to the chainsaw though? I did not see a UI indicator.

The Hell Knights also seemed to run much faster than Doom 2016.

Does look like medkits/ammo/armor are in plentiful supply in the environment. But assuming the balance is the same in nightmare in Doom 2-2 as it was in Doom 2016 the only particularly important part of that equation will be the chainsaw. You take so much damage in nightmare you have to focus on dodging so heavily that going for glory kills is more likely to get your ass killed than it is to heal you. The chainsaw being an exception because (With enough fuel) you can insta-kill barons and mancubi with it which is useful, and refilling your ammo is more important than slight healing from glory kills. Especially since enemies will still drop health when they're killed if you're low on health anyway, so you can prevent chip damage/grazing hits from whacking you just by mowing demons down and running past. Armor being almost completely useless in Doom 2016 since it's just more health points, it doesn't interact with damage differently in any other way. It'd be nice if they changed that, it was one thing that annoyed me in 2016 and I'm an inordinately big fan of it.

Swigen

Arbiter
Beat Ultimate Doom on PlayStation back in the day so I missed all that rabbit shit. Fuckin’ dickheads really couldn’t fit one end slide on a PlayStation disc? I’ve been robbed of my childhood! I don’t understand things today ‘cause of what PlayStation did yesterday!

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Doom 2016 was average in every way. I played halfway through and uninstalled i don't have any desire to finish it.
I am happy to see I was not the only one. I thought it was pretty bad. Most horrible level design coupled with unsatisfactory gun and (to me) the supreme insult, ammo for the chainsaw.

EDIT: Also have cutscene of close combat kill or whatever was a bad idea.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Funny thing is Doom 3 would have been a much better game if id Soft sticked with the Quake 3 engine. It was made for fast-paced gameplay, unlike id Tech 4, which was a slow-ass graphical showcase. But we all know about Carmack's fickle mind and decision making...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom