Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
It's not gonna be DnD game at this point... they will take lore names of the spells, and abilities and just gonna roll with their shitty designs. Cancel pre-orders! Oh right, we cannot pre-order. Thank god.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Why is it a "struggle" to speed up leveling?

Just give more XP... whats the problem? Its been done in ever RPG ever made. You want players to reach lvl 15? lvl 20? Just give enough Xp and or set levels so they are reached with specific amount of xp...?
Wtf is he on about?

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Let's make a D&D game!

First we remove dice, that's too clunky and people don't like the missing.
Then we change the progression. Leveling up has never felt good in a D&D game before so we made it a level one to 100 progression to keep people engaged.
Spells? Well, they're not accessible to new players so we replaced them with a better system.

Please enjoy our faithful D&D game.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also Sven more or less says in the interview that they will basically keep the leveling system but are "figuring out other ways to make the player feel progress".
Unless we know what he means it's a bit awkward to pass judgement

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm sure there'll be some on the box art...

It's not awkward at all. Despite the strange love some here have for Sven the man has never made a good RPG. It's far more likely he doesn't get it than that he does. If in doubt, add more cheese jokes.

Incantatar

Cipher
Audio interview by Jason Schreier: https://player.fm/series/kotaku-splitscreen/how-baldurs-gate-3-came-together

“That’s actually been one of the things that we’ve been struggling with, because it’s a very slow leveling process in the books,” he says. As D&D players will know, gaining ten or 12 levels on the tabletop is a journey that could last weeks, but for a videogame, it’s “not a lot.”
Wtf? "Not a lot" Only, from Candlekeep to Ch3+ in Athkatla. That is weeks of average game play. The same in P&P is like a year for my group playing every 1-2 weeks.
But we need levels 1-40 in a single game now of course.

Fairfax

Arcane
Swen spewing nonsense again. 5E's progression is way too fast if you use the default system, which is why even the official modules avoid it entirely. The official guideline is that each 'adventuring day' has 6-8 medium/hard encounters (traps and hazards included). With that system it takes ~14 adventuring days total to reach level 10, and ~33 to reach level 20(!). Even assuming a week of travel time between each adventuring day, that's insanely fast for D&D.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I am already assuming it's 3rd person action game where you can zoom out to a significant distance if you want, and pretend it's an isometric game.
How would this work? Can't have action gameplay with that setup, unless it's some Diablo-like thing.
I imagine it will be like Dragon Age Inquisition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ-asPRTixI
That just looks like RTWP to me. It doesn't look good, I'll give you that.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Also Sven more or less says in the interview that they will basically keep the leveling system but are "figuring out other ways to make the player feel progress".
Ok, let's think on that. Did we ever hear Owlcat say they are figuring out other ways to make the player feel progress, or that they feel the respective PnP system doesn't let the player feel progress well enough, or often enough? No, because it hasn't been a priority for them. We didn't even hear it from Josh who was developing his own RPG system. Let alone from Beamdog. I think it's evident Larian are using their "blank check" without shying away from any changes.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I am already assuming it's 3rd person action game where you can zoom out to a significant distance if you want, and pretend it's an isometric game.
How would this work? Can't have action gameplay with that setup, unless it's some Diablo-like thing.
I imagine it will be like Dragon Age Inquisition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ-asPRTixI
That just looks like RTWP to me. It doesn't look good, I'll give you that.
Maybe that's how it looks, but how it plays is, like an action game with a superficial "tactical view".

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Ok, let's think on that. Did we ever hear Owlcat say they are figuring out other ways to make the player feel progress, or that they feel the respective PnP system doesn't let the player feel progress well enough, or often enough? No, because it hasn't been a priority for them. We didn't even hear it from Josh who was developing his own RPG system. Let alone from Beamdog. I think it's evident Larian are using their "blank check" without shying away from any changes.
No offence to the otherwise cool Owlcat, but I don't consider them to be in the same league.
Other than that Owlcat went for a pure "D&D" feel and I guess they got it right, although it's a bit russky-junky.
Larian obviously goes for a different vision, I'm not saying I'm happy with all the nitpicking of what Swen likes or not (I mean since when are Swen's tastes so accurate that we should change game systems because of them?), but I just want to see what he actually means before I judge

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
So what could the reason really be for why they aren't telling us how the gameplay will work even in general terms?

Could it be that they actually don't know even 2+ years into development?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No offence to the otherwise cool Owlcat, but I don't consider them to be in the same league.
Other than that Owlcat went for a pure "D&D" feel and I guess they got it right, although it's a bit russky-junky.
Larian obviously goes for a different vision, I'm not saying I'm happy with all the nitpicking of what Swen likes or not (I mean since when are Swen's tastes so accurate that we should change game systems because of them?), but I just want to see what he actually means before I judge

It's not really that russky-junky anymore. I fully expected that so didn't play it until after it had been out for more than a year, even though isometric Pathfinder is basically my dream game. And at least when I played it, jank was down to a minimum. It's actually impressive how well stuff works considering the insane wealth of stuff implemented.

In my mind PF's biggest problem is that they implemented things with too few changes, meaning high level encounters are either a complete walkover or use "cheap mechanics" that can only be overcome with great patience or using exploits yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom