Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

The Bishop

Cipher
So what could the reason really be for why they aren't telling us how the gameplay will work even in general terms?

Could it be that they actually don't know even 2+ years into development?
Most likely. But also, even if they're already set on some stuff, they'd want to wait before they have something well polished to show off instead of just describing it with words. You can only make first impression once and all that jazz. I would guess this whole unveil was only because Stadia wanted to bolster their list of upcoming titles and Larian don't actually want to talk about the game at all yet.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not really that russky-junky anymore. I fully expected that so didn't play it until after it had been out for more than a year, even though isometric Pathfinder is basically my dream game. And at least when I played it, jank was down to a minimum. It's actually impressive how well stuff works considering the insane wealth of stuff implemented.

In my mind PF's biggest problem is that they implemented things with too few changes, meaning high level encounters are either a complete walkover or use "cheap mechanics" that can only be overcome with great patience or using exploits yourself.
I just started it last weekend and it's just what the IE doctor ordered. The good, and also some of the bad (rest-spamming/backtracking)

But nothing is too high a price for the feeling when you know you just made a save before the combat, but still before every weapon swing the sphincter tightens. :lol:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In my mind PF's biggest problem is that they implemented things with too few changes, meaning high level encounters are either a complete walkover or use "cheap mechanics" that can only be overcome with great patience or using exploits yourself.
I actually found that to be a problem for BG1&2 too... Quite frequently you'd need to "cheese" your way through the hardest encounters... By spamming summons, cloud killing without being seen etc

Out of the window goes the prospect of having a character Progression more akin to the original Baldur's Gate, where each actual Progress, even finding the first useful gear proper, felt meaningful (within the constraints of AD&D adaptations, e.g. no feats to pick up or skills to manually improve). But, it has to be a Video game! Players Need to be rewarded every Five seconds or so -- else they'll switch right back to Netflix. One of my theories is that some of the better parts of BG1 (to me anyways) came about as Old-Bioware used to be this inexperienced as a team. In other words, it was an accident.

But that's never been much on the cards since, not even by Owlcat. By "modern" standards, BG1 is a bloody AD&D survival horror (early on, anyway). Daddy's left you out in the wild -- you're weak, you're about to be bitten by a wolf -- and half the shit you find can even break. :D

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I actually found that to be a problem for BG1&2 too... Quite frequently you'd need to "cheese" your way through the hardest encounters... By spamming summons, cloud killing without being seen etc

I don't think that's true at all, and I play on fullblown SCS with all difficulty options implemented so it's balls-to-the-walls hard. BG1&2 actually make quite a few changes to default rules by kitting encounters with unique abilities, and AD&D is less susceptible to the insane OFFENSE > DEFENSE scaling that happens in 3.5 and Pathfinder (even if to-hit chance still outscales AC to the point of the latter being useless). And I say this as someone who adores the latter and hate everything about AD&D except the spell system.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't think that's true at all, and I play on fullblown SCS with all difficulty options implemented so it's balls-to-the-walls hard. BG1&2 actually make quite a few changes to default rules by kitting encounters with unique abilities, and AD&D is less susceptible to the insane OFFENSE > DEFENSE scaling that happens in 3.5 and Pathfinder (even if to-hit chance still outscales AC to the point of the latter being useless). And I say this as someone who adores the latter and hate everything about AD&D except the spell system.

I'm not the kind of guy that will play through games multiple times, only played through the BGs like... 2.5 times. That meant I never went "fully optimized" etc. To beat dragons or liches or stuff in that "area"... I cheesed hard. After all the whole game imo is based on the fact that you'll try an encounter multiple times and find the best way to deal with it. Unless of course you've played it so much that you can remember what you'll face and be ready

Quillon

Arcane
I hope you are trolling, I've always had a high opinion of you.

Dude, why make it personal? Stop this intensity, ffs! Take some time off, go on a vocation, play with your kids.

Not gonna lie, I'm scared.

Oh... I think its gonna be just like DAI too, man, like seriously! They'll completely abandon their money printing formula instead of building upon it fo'sho! How could anyone not see this, right!?

Cael

Arcane

The biggest problem with BG is that it is all or nothing when it comes to physical combat. ALL your attacks either have a chance to hit or they don't.

The scaling iterative attacks in 3.x means that AC still means something. Sure the first attack might always hit, but the next 3 have a chance to fail.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Don't popamole me infi,BG was made to be real time mix. It is like arguing that next DOOM will be better off if it is a racer. It is not cool to jump genres in a established franchise.

Mortmal

Arcane
Shamelessly stolen :
63dd91b1501693a6a5e4a3e0d030d4c4.jpg

9782449d921933e15d22268ee31bf9bf.jpg

5b6a4f9e5808353050f8ddfdc859d7f3.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
You should have put some illithids onto the road. Thats what fast gameplay is all abut!
That's clearly what baldur's gate is missing yes, vehicules like farcry . I should not be joking in this day and age it could be possible, driving an horse cart and fighting orc blockades on the road.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That is why you should have a low opinion on everyone,that way you will only be pleasantly surprised :). Also don't get that butthurt over a banter post ;).

Dude, why make it personal? Stop this intensity, ffs! Take some time off, go on a vocation, play with your kids.

Not gonna lie, I'm scared.

Oh... I think its gonna be just like DAI too, man, like seriously! They'll completely abandon their money printing formula instead of building upon it fo'sho! How could anyone not see this, right!?
Niggers, chill, I'm not taking this seriously. I wanted to add a :negative: to my previous post to hint I'm overreacting for comedic effect, but I was walking and typing.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/20...ii-dungeons-and-dragons-descent-into-avernus/

Dungeons & Dragons Clarifies Relationship Between Descent Into Avernus and Baldur's Gate III

Dungeons & Dragons has clarified to ComicBook.com that the "upcoming tabletop prequel" to the upcoming Baldur's Gate III is Descent Into Avernus. Earlier this month, Larian Studios announced Baldur's Gate III, a long-awaited sequel to a pair of popular D&D video games set in the Forgotten Realms. The announcement of the new game was timed shortly after Dungeons & Dragons announced Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus, a new adventure storyline that was initially set in the city of Baldur's Gate before descending into the first level of Hell. Larian CEO Swen Vincke described Descent Into Avernus as a prequel to Baldur's Gate III "in a certain way" in a recent interview with GamesBeat, noting that Descent Into Avernus is complimentary to the story of Baldur's Gate III but that the game is very much its own story. Larian Studios also noted they worked with Adam Lee, one of the lead writers of Descent Into Avernus, when crafting the story of Baldur's Gate III.

While the relationship between Baldur's Gate III and Descent Into Avernus seemed pretty clear at the outset, several news outlets referenced a "pen and paper prequel" to Baldur's Gate III when writing up Larian Studios' presentation at the PC Gaming Show at E3. Although a few outlets correctly named the "prequel" as Descent Into Avernus, others seemed to believe that this pen and paper prequel would be an entirely new product. Due to the dearth of write-ups about the Baldur's Gate III prequel, we reached out to Wizards of the Coast and was able to confirm that the "pen and paper prequel" referenced at the PC Gaming Show was Descent Into Avernus and not a new product.

Baldur's Gate III will pick up immediately after Descent Into Avernus, and the Descent Into Avernus publication will serve as a primer for fans interested in what has happened in the 100 years between Baldur's Gate II and Baldur's Gate III. Fans familiar with the original Baldur's Gate games may be surprised to learn that the city has survived two cataclysmic events - the Spellplague and the Sundering - both of which were used to explained D&D's gradual transition from 2nd Edition (the rules that Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II use) and the Fifth Edition rules that will serve as the foundation of Baldur's Gate III. As the story is initially set in Baldur's Gate, Descent Into Avernus should also provide details about the city and may explain what has happened to some of the many characters of the original Baldur's Gate games (many of whom are surprisingly still alive after 100 years.)

Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus will be released on September 17, 2019. No release date has been announced for Baldur's Gate III.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
lol, he is scarred... ffs...

codex should have a questionnaire for signing up.
1. how long have you been on the internet?
2. have you ever been on any forums before?
3. are you a faggot?
4. do you know what is an RPG?
5. are you a faggot?
6. are you sure?

Also, i just discovered a very revealing bit of info.
I noticed there were layers to this picture... had to use all my skills to bring them forth. its wasnt easy but i made it. exclusive for you.

JbESjjx.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
Just add Diablo-style itemization and BG3 will be a true spiritual successor to the Divinity: Original Sin series.

Let's make a D&D game!

First we remove dice, that's too clunky and people don't like the missing.
Then we change the progression. Leveling up has never felt good in a D&D game before so we made it a level one to 100 progression to keep people engaged.
Spells? Well, they're not accessible to new players so we replaced them with a better system.

Please enjoy our faithful D&D game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom