Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Doktor Best

Arcane
Not really besides frequently checking quest board talking to everyone or following a guide, hidden stuff is a "feature" of the series.

Im not talking about the hidden quests. Im talking about 5 or 6 sidequests in chapter two that must have popped up on the quest board while i was at the academy for the theatre play and afterwards shit went down that i felt compelled to solve immediately.

Ah well, since i wont go through that again i guess its time to count the losses and move on:negative:

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
I really don't remember confirmation boxes in tits games someone with better memory may tell otherwise I'm not a completionist, I think side quests are more meaningful sc and by meaningful I mean they change a few dialogue boxes besides any rewards you'd miss oc.

Kaivokz

Arcane
But really, do you need an optimized crash-free game when you get:

Tarot (??) cards
MLXGeFQ.jpg

and a holographic steelbook case?
YukBEfw.jpg
8VslfpK.jpg

(I actually like the steelbook. It looks better in person--my subwoofer detail is clearer than the case; I don't know how to photograph holographic things--and I enjoy having something physical to display or put on the shelf.)

Kaivokz

Arcane
There is also a proper manual with a few short comic strips at the end (in spoiler if anyone wants to see them).

WG9B6Ze.jpg
uiUbT2x.jpg
aJreoGI.jpg
cfdkBgl.jpg
nKNBCZz.jpg

Apparently Lloyd is in this game? Makes me want to finish trails of zero before I start this!

mushaden

Scholar
I just finished first chapter. The word that comes to mind is mediocre... but at the same time very well done for what it is. I'll probably play the second one at some point. I played on hard and it was sometimes a slog with the hp bloat, but I can clearly tell that normal would be a cakewalk.

Kaivokz

Arcane
I really like how they portray political propaganda in Cold Steel 2. The newspapers were meh to semi-interesting in 1, but it was perfect setup for this. They’ve really fleshed out the continent and its politics in a believable way.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
for all the flack cold steel get compared to other kiseki (meh to just decent characters, too much cast not enough depth) it is still my favorite world building in the series. the cast aren't as good as sky or crossbell, but man the world building and erebonia is fascinating.

the thing is, the world building isn't too much spoon fed like character development that comes naturally from dialogue in story cutscenes. you have to talk to all the random citizens, read news paper, do some side quests to get all the nuances, it helps to if you have interest in politics, sociology or history.

i found the effect of orbal revolution portrayed in erebonia is fascinating and multi layered. small example is like how orbal revolution presented an economic opportunity to regular citizens (reinford group, et cetera) even lower classes (by learning trade and "upgrade" their job as farmers to merchant or orbal crafts) , slowly displacing the noble's role as the sole major economic force in the empire. these social revolution brought by technological advancement also affect politics and how commoners start proliferating into goverment, compromising the noble's status quo even further that these events finally culminating into civil war, where osborne use the chance to take over and fulfill his own agenda.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Decided to try out Zero, it's better than I expected. Translation's obviously a little rough, with leftover Japanese grammar in places but still workable.

heh31tkl8.png

cspd9vkdt.png

recephvktx.png

roomo8kp6.png

comrademlk67.png

hah3gekog.png

zero0ekbb.png

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well emma was like 17, she is still growing.

Sara is like 25 in cold steel 1 so the logical conclusion is the latest orbal medical revolution to pump silicone into her mommies

Momock

Augur
Well emma was like 17, she is still growing.

Sara is like 25 in cold steel 1 so the logical conclusion is the latest orbal medical revolution to pump silicone into her mommies
Sara's boobs are exacly the same I think. For Emma maybe it's the angle from where they're shot that gives the impression that they're bigger.

Kaivokz

Arcane
for all the flack cold steel get compared to other kiseki (meh to just decent characters, too much cast not enough depth) it is still my favorite world building in the series. the cast aren't as good as sky or crossbell, but man the world building and erebonia is fascinating.

the thing is, the world building isn't too much spoon fed like character development that comes naturally from dialogue in story cutscenes. you have to talk to all the random citizens, read news paper, do some side quests to get all the nuances, it helps to if you have interest in politics, sociology or history.

i found the effect of orbal revolution portrayed in erebonia is fascinating and multi layered. small example is like how orbal revolution presented an economic opportunity to regular citizens (reinford group, et cetera) even lower classes (by learning trade and "upgrade" their job as farmers to merchant or orbal crafts) , slowly displacing the noble's role as the sole major economic force in the empire. these social revolution brought by technological advancement also affect politics and how commoners start proliferating into goverment, compromising the noble's status quo even further that these events finally culminating into civil war, where osborne use the chance to take over and fulfill his own agenda.
I actually haven’t played Trails in the Sky yet. I just can’t get into long RPGs on handhelds unless it’s 80% combat 15% character customization and 5% story. I did buy the trilogy on Steam now and I’m currently playing through FC with my GF. It will probably take awhile because of scheduling (it took us 8 months to beat Persona 5 w/ around 200hrs played), but it seems pretty acclaimed among the JRPG crowd here so I look forward to it.

I have to say world building and combat in cold steel is mostly what I enjoy, but the characters aren’t bad. Combat in TitS FC seems worse. We’re playing on nightmare which adds a challenge, but overall it feels less satisfying so far. Maybe because only 2-3 characters in party and not very interesting crafts or much variety in orbs.

Garbage

Learned
Hope all of you interested in finding out the deal with Rean's power introduced in 1, won't really be touched on in 3. You're going to have to wait all the way until 4 to get that shit.
God Cold Steel's story frustrates me to no end.

Ysaye

Arbiter
It's a big deal in 3 but won't be explained until 4.

Which is fine because it (CS3) is supposedly a really good game with a large but detailed world, better, smaller party balance, lots of reveals and character (re)-introductions etc....just with supposedly it has a CS1 style ending on steroids. Most of the Kiseki crack sleuths guessed what the deal with Rean was before four came out anyway.

Let's face it; there is always going to be unresolved stuff at the end of a Kiseki game!- there is a high likelihood we will still be wondering who Anton and Ricky REALLY are even after the Calvard series finishes.

To a degree it is not what it is but how it is delivered that's important.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom