Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
2nd Edition (the rules that Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II use) and the Fifth Edition rules that will serve as the foundation of Baldur's Gate III.

Of all your depressing reach-speculation that one is the closest to resembling something actually ominous.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I wonder if Google or Wizards of the coast is to blame for this way too early announcement. BG3 is in development for less than 2 years, so I doubt we will see gameplay any time soon. Google probably needed BG3 as proof that they are a platform for "serious hardcore gamers" (TM) and WOTC wants to sell their new adventure book that will be released this fall. Larian, on the other hand, has no history of doing this, their other game Fallen Heroes was announced with a playable demo.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
2nd Edition (the rules that Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II use) and the Fifth Edition rules that will serve as the foundation of Baldur's Gate III.

Of all your depressing reach-speculation that one is the closest to resembling something actually ominous.
The writing was there for me from the moment he said that about missing not being fun. I'm sorry so many people cling to wishful thinking and denial.

EDIT: I admit I never expected anything but shit from Larian after D:OS2, so I was suspicious from the start.

Last edited:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There wouldnt be so much speculation of very negative kind if they weren't failing at PR so hard. Dropping these nebulous decline absurdities and then not clarifying anything.

Of course that DnD rules will serve as a foundation. You cant copy-paste PnP into a video game. Thats not the issue at all.
But when you splurge that missing too much is not good in video games and you are adjusting it - you better explain the fuck how. And you should say what kind of PoV and combat system you are going for.
Because if you dont, that just means you are hiding something. PoV isnt just about the view but about the control scheme - which can be either character based point and click, or -
Same for spell slots and "leveling up too slow".

Thats not something you can just skip over.

Sentinel

Arcane
"We aren't talking about the combat now" just means "We can't have the inevitable shitstorm hit us while we're in the spotlight"

In terms of PR it's actually smart, because most retards (target audience, it being a triple A game) won't keep up with the game's updates, and the ones complaining on the community will be the tabletop fans and the people who have brought Larian out of bankrupcy, who don't matter anymore.

Last edited:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

The writing was there for me from the moment he said that about missing not being fun. I'm sorry so many people cling to wishful thinking and denial.

EDIT: I admit I never expected anything but shit from Larian after D:OS2, so I was suspicious from the start.
Opposed to most of you edgy retards here I actually liked both D:OS games and I'd give my left nut for an improved D:OS 2 without the armor system, vancian casting and handpicked loot. But I won't even get that.

For fucks sake.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Opposed to most of you edgy retards here I actually liked both D:OS games and I'd give my left nut for an improved D:OS 2 without the armor system, vancian casting and handpicked loot. But I won't even get that.

For fucks sake.
Noted.

Yet, if we are the edgy retards, then how do you call the millions of people who bought D:OS2 in enough copies and didn't complain? Asking because their acceptance of what I call shit is the reason you won't get an improved D:OS2 (and willl probably get an even further declined BGIII). Who would you say you feel closer to - that group of people, or us, edgy retards? :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if Google or Wizards of the coast is to blame for this way too early announcement. BG3 is in development for less than 2 years, so I doubt we will see gameplay any time soon. Google probably needed BG3 as proof that they are a platform for "serious hardcore gamers" (TM) and WOTC wants to sell their new adventure book that will be released this fall. Larian, on the other hand, has no history of doing this, their other game fallen heroes was announced with a playable demo.

Interesting point, I hadn't thought of that. It's possible.

Speaking of Divinity: Fallen Heroes, what pisses me off most is that they seem to have decided to hide it so as not to distract from the Baldur's Gate III announcement. We could have seen Fallen Heroes at E3 instead of listening to a million Baldur's Gate III interviews where Swen and Mike Mearls say nothing for 5-15 minutes.

Sentinel

Arcane
Listening to Swen talk about the Spell Slot system in the Jason interview linked above, I didn't get the impression that he wanted to change it. He mentions the struggle is getting people not from D&D to understand it quickly, in big part because Spell Level and Character Level might be two confusing concepts for a first-timer. He specifically says "Just name it something else" to Mike in good jest., but at no point is it said or hinted that they're changing the system. It's more about easing people into it than anything.

In some way I can understand how it could be confusing for someone who hasn't touched D&D to understand the spell level/slot system because it's something that isn't present in any other mildly recent RPG. For those people it might take some 10 minute reading and then a couple hours to get used to all the mechanics of it. And in a videogame, if people don't get the basic grasp of the systems in the first 10 minutes, you're probably in trouble.

This is my fabulously optimistic take on it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Why do people have such a hardon for Vancian casting? It's one of the weakest, most archaic and unwieldy parts of D&D.
I like Vancian casting because it forces choice onto the player. (Please let's not get into the restspamming debate again)

Curratum

Why do people have such a hardon for Vancian casting? It's one of the weakest, most archaic and unwieldy parts of D&D.
I like Vancian casting because it forces choice onto the player. (Please let's not get into the restspamming debate again)

That's the thing though - it does the exact opposite. You always end up picking the optimal damage / combat spells, you never leave those cool utility things you wish you would maybe sometime use.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You always end up picking the optimal damage / combat spells, you never leave those cool utility things you wish you would maybe sometime use.
Nobody is forcing you. Its your choice. Want cool utility spells - go for it. Or mix. Thats what having to make a choice means.
There has to be some cost to amounts of mage spells. And besides, i never chose just optimal damage-combat spells.

Sentinel

Arcane
JS: "How do you account for some of the ridiculous things in D&D, like the Wish spell, which actually the original Baldur's Gates did a really good job of letting you play around with that by just giving you a limited option..."
SV: "We went through all of the spells that were in the book, so we had to decide what we are gonna port and what we can't prot. Green was "straight up" - Magic Missile, easy. Then we also had Orange, where we said "we can't do a straight port, but we can do a pretty good rendition". Then we had red, which meant "no way, we can't do this", and the higher level we went the more red we got. Surprisingly, Wish actually has its role, in a more narrative context."
Remember all the fun people had with high level spells in BG2? We don't want none of that.

38:22 - https://player.fm/series/kotaku-splitscreen/how-baldurs-gate-3-came-together

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron

That's the thing though - it does the exact opposite. You always end up picking the optimal damage / combat spells, you never leave those cool utility things you wish you would maybe sometime use.
But isn't that a flaw of the quest design, not of the Vancian casting?

5e prepared spellcasting is already more flexible than normal Vancian. You can easily afford some utility spells besides the usual suspects.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Magic Missile, easy.

I bet you won't be able to do this in BG3:

mm3.jpg

Authoritative source.

Curratum

I'd say the problem is a lot more easily fixed by changing casting than by coming up with some innovative style of presenting adventures and challenges.

AwesomeButton

Patron

I'd say the problem is a lot more easily fixed by changing casting than by coming up with some innovative style of presenting adventures and challenges.
And you would be right. It's no news that every game design problem can be more easily fixed by constraining player choice than in any other way. :lol:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yet, if we are the edgy retards, then how do you call the millions of people who bought D:OS2 in enough copies and didn't complain? Asking because their acceptance of what I call shit is the reason you won't get an improved D:OS2 (and willl probably get an even further declined BGIII). Who would you say you feel closer to - that group of people, or us, edgy retards? :D
https://www.reddit.com/r/DivinityOriginalSin/comments/7pp4sm/i_wish_i_didnt_pick_up_dos2/
These are the people who loved DOS2.
I never realised how awesome a cRPG would be if it was 100% voice acted like DOS2 is... I feel like other cRPGs were ruined for me. I can see why this game won GoY for PCGamer... 100% deserved.

I hope to god Pillars of eternity 2 will be voice acted... I doubt it though...

There's honestly no way PoE 2 will be even a fraction as good as DOS2. Their writing isn't as good. Their combat system isn't as good. Their level design isn't as good. Fort Joy on its own is a better game than the entirety of PoE.

The lack of mouth movement really takes away from it though.

I see similar posts like this every day. I don't even get annoyed I just keep upvoting. Welcome to the show!

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You failed to add How and why. Again. I know it feels great to just say things and see them become absolute truths by magic, but magic isnt working here.

And of course its not about presenting but the type of content of the game. Guess which spells get used the most in combat heavy game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom