Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I have seen the face of Cyberpunk, and it’s got blemishes.

Lemme guess, its white?

also, Sublimation is not uploading yourself into cyberspace. Virtual reality had an entirely different role in one Culture novel.

Last edited:

Curratum

Rock Paper Shotgun is becoming unreadable

RPS has been unreadable for the better part of the past decade...

They've become worse. Since being acquired by The Gamer Network in 2017 the site has been transforming into basically a woke sub-site of Eurogamer. I think that transformation is complete now.

That castrated, balding sack of shit that used to run the show at RPS had already turned the site into the ultimate gathering of soyboys who pretend to be interested in games long before 2017.

kain30

Cipher
Fuck RPS for real. I wish that someday a game journalist tells a developer their game is racist, sexist, etc... The dev answer something like: fuck you, i do the game the way i want.

Danikas

Arcane
To be fair, the scenes this fine gentleman described really do sound horrible. Its almost as if the game takes place in an ultraviolent, crime ridden technocratic dystopia
IM OUTRAGED, writing angry tweet right now. Better yet im gonna use my newest smartphone to bitch about RACISM IN A VIDEOGAME while niggas in Nigeria work for 5 dollars a month mining precious stones that my phone is made of, classic first world retardation.

Hellion

Arcane
Didn't RPS release editorials last year claiming that "historical accuracy" in Kingdom Come: Deliverance is "problematic" because "it panders to the Patriarchy, Christianity and White Males in positions of power"?

If RPS says it's problematic then it's already GOTY.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
While both certainly are left-leaning, you can really see how RPS went from left-aligned but still a normal game sites to full-blown Social Injustice Video Game Circles in the past 5 years or so. While the comment sections have always been left-aligned, the past few years they are out-doing Kotaku at these gaming controversies articles. And they haven't written anything worthwhile. The last good stuff they wrote was Peter Molyneux interview.

Kotaku has always been Kotaku, but when you are outdoing Kotaku on whole representatives issue articles, man, so much shits must have happened in team.

Tiger

Learned
Deleting all my comments on that article too. Basically anything that doesn't fit their SJW view. Fuck that place now, gone completely to shit. Are there any game websites left that just give game news without all this other left-wing bullshit?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Deleting all my comments on that article too. Basically anything that doesn't fit their SJW view. Fuck that place now, gone completely to shit. Are there any game websites left that just give game news without all this other left-wing bullshit?

There are websites with less of it. If you like the more buttoned down British gaming journalism style of Rock Paper Shotgun but want less political garbage, just read Eurogamer.

Zer0wing

Cipher
There's sites that are ridden with nonsensical SJW agenda. Or there are sites ridden with alter minded reactionary (reacting to the former) rightards searching for SJWs under their beds. Both hate Cyberpunk 2077 for all the wrong reasons. You really want to go outside of rpgcodex.net?

BlackGoat

Arbiter
From the comments under that article:

We definitely need good racial representation Matt (white), perhaps you should ask around the office, maybe…

Katharine Castle (white)
Graham Smith (white)
Alice Bell (white)
Brenden Caldwell (white)
Nic Reuben (white)
Alice O’Conner (white)
Steve Hogarty (green alien, when he isn’t being white)
Nate Crowley (white)
Jay Castello (white)
Dominic Tarason (unknown entity, might be imaginary)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So? Firstly I doubt it as even DXHR had XP bonuses for ghost/non-lethal types of approaches which cancelled out the XP gain from killing everyone so it's not hard to come up with something.
??? What does that have to do with anything? DXHR had tech trees shown that were focused on stealth mechanics. CP2077 doesnt have any of that.

What are you talking about? I pointed out there are many ways you can avoid giving less XP for non-lethal approaches, if the devs so choose, such as how DXHR did it by giving XP for non-lethal approaches. What have stealth mechanics got to do with non-lethal when I didn't mention stealth at all?

Secondly...why should each approach give you the same reward?
I never said that. Are you sure you're replying to my post?

You intimated it by saying people playing non-lethal will be gimped from rewards/progression systems....suggesting that they should get the equivalent rewards of the gung ho types.

A non-lethal playthrough should be its own reward
The motto of the lazy developer.

Not really. Comes down to money versus time. If the mechanics and options are developed enough to give a non-lethal approach, then so long as the game allows you to complete objectives without killing, it's good enough. Original Splinter Cell allowed non-lethal takedowns even though it wasn't really developed far and so there were unavoidable parts where you had to kill everyone but ou could still give yourself extra challenge by trying to be a professional Echelon agent and only take out required targets. The game didn't reward you with anything in particular, but it was still a nice option to have.

CDPR on the other hand, I've faith that they won't stop at nothing but have the game acknowledge a lot of this kind of thing, just as even DXHR did.

Everyone on Codex rages about 'balance', rightly pointing out that there should be more or less viable approaches and making everything balanced just makes everything the same.
People on the codex rage about Josh's tirade for "gameplay balance", but no one contests the reward structure balance. That's the only thing Josh ever got right.

Rewards should be tied to the quest success/failure and that's more or less the start point Josh uses. I agree, though this is a RPG with C&C and all that, so being Deadpool as opposed to Batman, should have the game alter the world state, NPC reactivity and even the storyline(going full on slaughter in Dishonored led to the bad ending), and make it more interesting to not only have to choose to side with the Red or the Blue guys to change the plot, but also give incentive to play differently in order to see all the permutations.

Sentinel

Arcane
What are you talking about? I pointed out there are many ways you can avoid giving less XP for non-lethal approaches, if the devs so choose, such as how DXHR did it by giving XP for non-lethal approaches. What have stealth mechanics got to do with non-lethal when I didn't mention stealth at all?
My original point was that "CP2077 allowing players to complete it without killing anyone" was a meaningless statement because none of its systems reward this kind of playstyle. Every tech/perk is aimed at encouraging aggressive behaviour. Saying "lol not killing NPCs is its own reward" is fucking stupid, because players will gravitate towards the most rewarding style, which will be the aggressive one in the case of CP2077, and was the stealth-playthrough in DXHR.
You intimated it by saying people playing non-lethal will be gimped from rewards/progression systems....suggesting that they should get the equivalent rewards of the gung ho types.
No. "Equivalent" and "same" don't mean the same thing. I never said "same reward", you did, which I was disagreeing with.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
461z1mjn7v331.jpg

So how can you have a "photo mode " for a first person game if the 3rd person and first person views are not unified like in the Star Citizen engine?

Doom has a photo mode but doomguy disappears when activated

Aug_26_15_42_12.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom