Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Curratum

Are people genuinely excited for this garbage? Hit detection does not exist, AI is braindead, the only good thing about this is how most places look nice.
Why don't you hate Vtmb 1 for these exact reasons? What , did that game have fantastic combat or something? And "garbage"? Passing verdict on this game based on 1 aspect of it and also the shittiest of them all, the combat?

Now to those in this thread. Just came here to read up on some news after a few days and I see people bitching about facial expressions, voice acting and combat, a few pages at least. What about skills, dialogue and dialogue options, reactivity, arsenal, immersive sim elements, stealth, level design hell anything else. This is supposed to be an RPG. I'm shocked you didn't complain about graphics.

I hate all vampire games equally, don't get me wrong. I never played the old Vampire games because I hated them when they released just as much. I'm just noting that this new one is completely broken, mechanically and engine-wise.

Are people genuinely excited for this garbage? Hit detection does not exist, AI is braindead, the only good thing about this is how most places look nice.
Why don't you hate Vtmb 1 for these exact reasons? What , did that game have fantastic combat or something? And "garbage"? Passing verdict on this game based on 1 aspect of it and also the shittiest of them all, the combat?

Now to those in this thread. Just came here to read up on some news after a few days and I see people bitching about facial expressions, voice acting and combat, a few pages at least. What about skills, dialogue and dialogue options, reactivity, arsenal, immersive sim elements, stealth, level design hell anything else. This is supposed to be an RPG. I'm shocked you didn't complain about graphics.

I hate all vampire games equally, don't get me wrong. I never played the old Vampire games because I hated them when they released just as much. I'm just noting that this new one is completely broken, mechanically and engine-wise.
Choosing whether or not to play a game based purely on its theme is as bad as watching movies for the plot, or worse

Gruncheon

Savant

This talk with club owner doesn't make sense. She didn't tell you what kind of information you need to purchase from Slugg.

"Hi, [Player Character Name], I need you to track down [NPC] and retrieve [Boondoggle]. You can find out where [NPC] is from [NPC]. [NPC] is at [Quest Marker Q]. I confirm that if you choose the wrong dialogue option, you may loot [Boondoggle] from [NPC] corpse. If you do this, I will [slutty innuendo/not emptily threaten you/provide shekels]. Okay bye."

Curratum

Choosing whether or not to play a game based purely on its theme is as bad as watching movies for the plot, or worse

I simply cannot stand vampires, I am sorry. I find them the most annoying thing ever, whether it's movies, games or fiction.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The writing is functional, hooray, but as many pointed out it's boring as shit compared to Bloodlines.
It's already known I have not played the original, but chances are that you are also boring today compared to yourself when you played Bloodlines. :D

jf8350143

Liturgist

I simply cannot stand vampires, I am sorry. I find them the most annoying thing ever, whether it's movies, games or fiction.

Then why are you being so harsh on yourself and watch a gameplay video for a game full of vampires. It's not like this is the first time they reveal the game or anything.

Curratum

I hand't watched anything about the game until E3, then a colleague from work who is a Vampire nut forced that video down my throat.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So not only are modern games incapable of good writing,but they also can't make good animations and voice acting?
That is the one thing you should have no problem with since modern games are obsessed with cinematic.

This and fear effect sedna have the same problem their predecessors didn't.
If you are so incapable as a game director/producer to not recognize when somebody is just reading their lines without any actual acting,hire somebody who can.

edit:Love that the guy getting bitten lines are "oh,oh,oh".

Wesp5

Arcane
Yes, but the great thing is, everybody can add these expressions during dialogues without knowing anything about Faceposer or details (like I added several myself in the UP) :)!
What's your opinion on the latest videos/trailers of Bloodlines 2? I'm curious.

Okay, here are my thoughts: Atmosphere and level design looks great and seems to be typical Bloodlines! I'm a shooter fan myself so I don't really like all the melee fighting and the player throwing away firearms, but I talked to my contact at Paradox and he claimed you can play this differently if you want. I also didn't really like the weird special moves that suddenly broke out of first person view! Voice overs were okay in my opinon as was the writing, but I suspect that a lot of this might not be final. I mean how many people is Mitsoda to voice himself in the game :)? As has been said already the facial animations are weak and I will write my contact that they must work on this. I also didn't get what all these HUD bars were about and will ask him about it! Last not least I already noticed voice overs not fitting with lip movements or subtitles and fires burning through barrel sides, which were typical things I fixed in the Bloodlines Unofficial Patch. They should really have this checked before it's final, I don't want to do another patch ;)!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Non IGN shit

I have the original on STEAM, Should I play it or hold off on something else?

I looked at this, and I found these problems.
- No moving cars on streets.
- Deux EX HR like interactions.
- Opening door looks atrocious.
- If he has much higher strength than normal person, why is he holding his pistol by both hands?
- They don't act in fights like in real life.
- There are hordes of enemies which feels weird.
- Even I know dance has less abrupt rapid movement.
- Story shown in preview is equal to fan fiction level.
- These decorative trees behind her looks like crap.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Moving cars on the streets are honestly one of the least important things when designing an open world environment.

EDIT: Also I think we can give the BL2 PC at least a little credit on their dance moves: At least everyone around them doesn't stop and seem embarrassed for them like in BL1 when you go dancing. Even if your moves are about as embarrassing, so they're probably just more polite in Seattle or you exude confidence.

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
The combat barks are really bad, not to mention the sound design. It sounds like an actor is standing in a booth reading off a sheet of paper. I really want these devs to play Condemned ... audio like that is what they need for this kind of combat. Well, pre-alpha and all that.

I also did hate the dialogue from the quest giver. "I am going to give you a quest. During this quest you will have an objective. I will now tell you what that objective is." Jesus christ.

How many different characters did Mitsoda voice? I counted at least 5 :)
Don't worry. The voice acting is pre-alpha. The writing is pre-alpha. The combat is pre-alpha. The animations are pre-alpha. Maybe the engine is pre-alpha, too.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes, but the great thing is, everybody can add these expressions during dialogues without knowing anything about Faceposer or details (like I added several myself in the UP) :)!
What's your opinion on the latest videos/trailers of Bloodlines 2? I'm curious.

Okay, here are my thoughts: Atmosphere and level design looks great and seems to be typical Bloodlines! I'm a shooter fan myself so I don't really like all the melee fighting and the player throwing away firearms, but I talked to my contact at Paradox and he claimed you can play this differently if you want. I also didn't really like the weird special moves that suddenly broke out of first person view! Voice overs were okay in my opinon as was the writing, but I suspect that a lot of this might not be final. I mean how many people is Mitsoda to voice himself in the game :)? As has been said already the facial animations are weak and I will write my contact that they must work on this. I also didn't get what all these HUD bars were about and will ask him about it! Last not least I already noticed voice overs not fitting with lip movements or subtitles and fires burning through barrel sides, which were typical things I fixed in the Bloodlines Unofficial Patch. They should really have this checked before it's final, I don't want to do another patch ;)!
Tell your contact that fighting hordes of enemies in Bloodlines 1 was part of the game that was the worst so they should not base the sequel around the worst parts of Bloodlines 1.

A big soy yikes from me on the writing. It's not as SJW as I feared but it just doesn't have the same edge Bloodlines did. It doesn't seem as clever or as atmospheric. Also, none of the vampires look that much different from normal people. In Bloodlines, the vampires all looked distinct and had identity. No one stood out to me in this demo.

Cross

Arcane
They managed to design melee combat that's worse than the first Bloodlines. Impressive. The hit reactions are asset flip scam game levels of bad. And this is supposed to be releasing in half a year.

Or should I say combat in general, rather than just melee combat. At around the 12:40 mark, a young (human) woman somehow manages to take half a dozen point-blank gunshots to the face without so much as flinching.

These NPCs don't have any personality. All their lines are purely exposittory. And that lack of personality extends to the side quests. The first 2 NPCs spend 5 minutes regurgitating a quest objective as nondescript as 'find Slugg...for reasons'. A far cry from Damsel asking you to stop irresponsible vampires from spreading diseases in between extolling the virtues of communism, or Knox the vampire fanboy who's so excited about being a ghoul that he blurts out the secret task his master entrusted to him.

Th dialogue view when talking to NPCs stays relatively zoomed out, which only serves to draw attention to their unnatural lack of body language. NPCs in the first Bloodlines were much more animated than this, despite the dialogue view only showing them from the shoulders up.

The new design of the Nosferatu (or what I think are supposed to be Nosferatu) looks pretty bad.

I'm not a fan of all the contextual third-person mini-cutscenes like 'press X to mist form' or 'press X to do a completely pointless backflip'.

It doesn't look like a stealth playstyle will be possible.

It's blatantly obvious the game is primarily designed for consoles/controllers (which for first-person games is vastly inferior to mouse and keyboard), though not surprising sadly.

Oh, and the only piece of music that stood out was an unused track from the first Bloodlines.

Last edited:

Wesp5

Arcane
Also I think we can give the BL2 PC at least a little credit on their dance moves: At least everyone around them doesn't stop and seem embarrassed for them like in BL1 when you go dancing.

You are making a huge mistake here: in Bloodlines 1 the other dancers were so amazed by the player dancing that they gathered around him which was a cool feature that I will relay as missing to my contact. And in case any of you ever go dancing in clubs, this happens in real life whenever somebody is dancing great, at least when they are a beautiful female ;)!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom