Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory - isometric RPG based on the tabletop game

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I said that it is not like copying d&d rules
Of course it is. Baldur's Gate doesn't recreate the tabletop experience either, no CRPG does. Your implication that D&D isn't about player/GM interaction is ridiculous on its face. Nothing you've said has given any credence to the idea that this game will have more of a problem than any other computer game adapting from a different medium. We get it, the movie isn't the same as the book. And again I am forced to ask ... so what?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Of course it is.
Your implication that D&D isn't about player/GM interaction is ridiculous on its face.

Only it isn't, d&d has a mostly fixed set of rules that can be applied to a computer to handle all of the crunch so there's no need for a DM it then becomes a linear experience where a writer can tell whatever story they want, but it's always their story with a limited amount of player agency, but it still resembles Dungeons and Dragons. The tabletop experience isn't anywhere near as important to creating a crpg using something like d&d's ruleset.

Baldur's Gate doesn't recreate the tabletop experience either, no CRPG does.

Thank you for finally understanding something I've already said three times now. The fact that crpgs can't replicate the tabletop experience is where I think the problem will arise because Paranoia is far more dependent on human interaction and the developers have their work count out for them if they hope to create something that resembles Paranoia.

Nothing you've said has given any credence to the idea that this game will have more of a problem than any other computer game adapting from a different medium. We get it, the movie isn't the same as the book. And again I am forced to ask ... so what?

"So what" is an entirely personal and subjective matter and I have my doubts about the game being any good, but I already admitted that I just might be wrong about that.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Only it isn't, d&d has a mostly fixed set of rules that can be applied to a computer to handle all of the crunch so there's no need for a DM
Wow. You have absolute garbage DMs.

"So what" is an entirely personal and subjective matter and I have my doubts about the game being any good, but I already admitted that I just might be wrong about that.
Shrug. You're welcome to have doubts, but I still don't respect your reasoning. At this point we're just spinning our wheels. gg :salute:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
That doesn't sound outright bad, Nosgoth seems like it'd be worth a campaign or two.

In the hands of someone capable sure, but this was a Monte Haul nightmare kludged together by someone who would sit at the table looking like a zombie when things didn't go her way. We sabotaged the campaign to put it out of its misery and save our sanity. It was cruel, but it was for the greater good.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh, previews weeks ago: https://wccftech.com/paranoia-happiness-is-mandatory-preview/

Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory Preview – Friend Computer is Watching

I’m a very impressionable person, I’ll admit that. If I think a character is cool as all hell, I’m going to live my life based on them. That’s why I still believe that Scooby Snacks are the most nutritional part of a healthy diet. It’s also why I tend to believe in two statements made by two fantastic characters: Jack Reacher has made it clear that it’s always ideal to “hope for the best, plan for the worst” and Stone Cold Steve Austin also made the statement of “D.T.A. – Don’t Trust Anyone”. Little did Mr Austin know that it’s perfect advice for Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory.

Maybe, just maybe, the word Paranoia in the game’s title gives it away a little.

The setting of Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory is set in a place called Alpha Complex, a futuristic building-city completely overseen by the AI controlled Friend Computer. Not only are they overseen by an all-powerful AI, but they’re also unaware of anything in the outside world. Friend Computer has some fairly explicit instructions. One, as you may guess, is that happiness is mandatory. Another is that to even think about what is beyond Alpha Complex is completely against the rules. There is also the fact that to step outside the areas allotted to your social class is forbidden.

I doubt I’d be one of Friend Computer’s favourite subjects. One, I’m always fairly suspicious of anybody telling me that I should be happy. Don’t tell me how I should feel, I’m from the north of England, the miserable part of a country known for misery and discomfort. Being from the north of England, I am likely also against friend computer in one other way: Friend Computer states that mutants are not to be trusted. Judging by how those in charge of the UK treat those north of the Watford Gap, we must be mutants.

This isn’t to say that the overseeing computer, the one that actively mistrusts you with its cameras watching your every movement, isn’t at least benevolent in its own way. Should your character die in Paranoia, you’ll actually have a few extra lives to live. Five to be precise. This is because Friend Computer is nice enough to have made five clones for all who live in Alpha Complex. When you’re reborn, the slate is also wiped clean so any suspicion is wiped clean.

I suppose Friend Computer isn’t the smartest AI around though, because you are a mutant after all. When you get started, you’re given a random mutation. Each time you die and are brought back, your mutation is also changed randomly. Fortunately, any experience you’ve gained in your life is also carried on, letting you respec your skills which is handy as your experience while dying could have also unlocked different skills for you to pick up. It doesn’t seem you’ll be able to retain and respec team members who die though, getting new people instead. Though I may be wrong about that.

What I do know is that you will have a few characters joining you, assigned by Friend Computer to join the task force you lead called the Troubleshooters. Only this links into the quote I gave you by one Stone Cold Steve Austin. You can’t trust these characters any more than you can trust Friend Computer. Should you do something wrong, even while defending the rules set by Friend Computer, it will be more suspicious of you. If Friend Computer can’t see you, the characters sent to join you may just go and tell on you after the mission.

It all adds up to an interesting world, all set in one complex. A society based around colour-coded classes, full of people you can’t trust and an overbearing computer. A computer that assigns a treason level to you, keeping you monitored, though you can lower it should you make the right decisions when going about your business. From what I was told, you’ll have a wide variety of dialogue options, including intimidation, bluffing and bureaucracy to push the conversation. Also, you’ll have multiple decisions to make along the way, such as the ability to join secret societies, which will directly impact the ending of the game.

It is worth noting that the game is linear, moving into missions from a central hub. In this hub, you will be able to roam around as needed, with areas like R&D that invent things you have the choice to use. Also, there will be vending machines for you to buy items from, different ways to make and spend money, with you also having the ability to make money during the missions and gathering a decent amount of loot along the way. You’ll want to make sure you pick it up though. If Friend Computer can see it on the floor, it’ll send little robots to clean it up, seeing it as rubbish.

All of this takes place as a squad-based tactical RPG in a game that looks great, having a cartoon-like cel-shaded design. This, by nature, runs contrary to the oppressive atmosphere as well as a number of fairly strong subject matters that feature in the game, such as drugs and death, though it keeps a sense of humour. The one mission I was shown is about exploring an area taken over by a sort of cult obsessed with creating an actual Dungeons and Dragons quest for them to play through, not that they know it’s D&D.

Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory is a game I was very interested in checking out when I knew it was going to be at the Bigben Interactive Week. It didn’t disappoint. There’s something about the different dystopian environments that interest me, such as with Mirror’s Edge. Only here, you’re breaking the rules while trying to maintain the appearance of being a stand-up guy or gal. All in what is a fairly light-hearted dystopian universe. Granted, this doesn’t mean it can’t get cruel.

Being developed by Cyanide (Of Orcs and Men, Styx titles & Blood Bowl titles) and Black Shamrock (assisted with Starlink: Battle for Atlas), Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory is certainly looking like an interesting game. The combat looks compelling, aiming to be true to the original tabletop RPG and also having a decent level of challenge. What is possibly more important is that to remain true to the original IP, the ones who made the tabletop RPG work with the developers, particularly on the story and text. At the moment they’re aiming for a PC, PS4 and Xbox One release between September to December this year, with the game getting a full launch instead of early access.

"Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory Preview – shooting trouble in a dystopian RPG": https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2019/05/17/paranoia-happiness-is-mandatory-preview/

"Paranoia Happiness is Mandatory: 80s tabletop RPG comes good with exciting new steam game": https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/ga...p-RPG-comes-good-with-exciting-new-steam-game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
LESS T_T You think the Bigben Interactive RPGs (this and Werewolf) will also appear in one of the E3 shows? PC Gaming Show seems like the natural place for them but I don't see Bigben listed there.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
LESS T_T You think the Bigben Interactive RPGs (this and Werewolf) will also appear in one of the E3 shows? PC Gaming Show seems like the natural place for them but I don't see Bigben listed there.

FWIW I don't remember any Focus Home game appeared in the E3 conferences. Well unless somehow that Werewolf game has awesome visual or something, I guess.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just gotta repeat that this is the worst fucking idea ever: Paranoia is all about the unique circumstances of living in the Communist bloc during the Cold War. Also the fun of it is being tormented by your oppressive commie GM. That's not something that conventional RPG logic can do.

So for this game, you either sell a game about a world that hasn't existed for 30 years to a not-very-lucrative geezer market or you sell a game to confused zoomer children who don't know what to make of it.

Theldaran

Liturgist
If you're making a Paranoia game, your primary market is PNP RPG players. The game won't probably be good anyway, or sell lots. Maybe in the years to come it will be a Codex classic.

Saduj

Arcane
Best case scenario will probably be that it is an enjoyable game as long as you can get past it not emulating the PNP experience and setting too closely.

Aka: Good for what it is.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Troubleshooters, Instructor Daff-Y-DUK has summoned you to attend the mandatory exhaustive course in Troubleshooting.

Thanks to Matthew Mercer for his contribution in giving his voice to Instructor Daff-Y-DUK.

Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory: a darkly humorous CRPG, adapted from the tabletop role-playing game created by Dan Gelber, Greg Costikyan and Eric Goldberg.

The game will be released on PC and consoles in 2019, when Friend Computer feels like it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A gameplay trailer where they purposely show the demonstrator failing, that's new. :lol:

I liked what I saw of the dialogue. Could this actually be good???

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The trailer left me with a fairly positive impression. I'm not a fan of rtwp, but Paranoia is supposed to be chaotic, so it fits well. Even if for whatever reason the game won't turn out great, I suppose it'll at least be a fun one-time romp.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
A gameplay trailer where they purposely show the demonstrator failing, that's new. :lol:

It actually has a bunch of cool subtle touches, like the team leader shooting his fellows in the back during the first shootout.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

A red citizen contradicting a blue one?

That's treason.

It actually has a bunch of cool subtle touches, like the team leader shooting his fellows in the back during the first shootout.
I noticed that too, but since the player seemed to be controlling both of them I don't even know what conclusion to draw from it. Broken ai targeting that made it into trailer, or subtle hint of treasonous gameplay?

Saduj

Arcane
I hope the friendly fire thing is intentional but driven by the game’s AI. As in if you position your characters in a way that one can get some cheap shots in on the other, he will do it.

If the player controlling all four characters is incentivized to have one character shoot the other on purpose, it just becomes a resource management exercise. How many times can I shoot my own guy for cool points and still win the fight...

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I want this to be good but I remain extremely skeptical for a lot of reasons, mostly that Paranoia is about interactions between PCs and the GM fucking with PCs. I think we're decades away from AI that's capable of that. You can make a demo that looks interesting, but can you make an AI that human players won't see through after 5 hours?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The graphics, UI, even the music make this look/feel a lot like a real-time-with-pause Shadowrun Returns. HBS must be extremely flattered. On my buy-list, whether or not I wait depends on the download size.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It feels like there's this little clique of RPG developers that's suddenly sprung underneath the banner of Bigben Interactive from out of nowhere. These guys (Black Shamrock) are planning to make a RuneQuest RPG next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom