Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM OpenXcom Thread

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game is great, I'm enjoying this a lot. Deserved masterpiece reputation. I'd wish modern XCOM had ballistics and TU. Now I'm going to be watching Phoenix point development closely, and I hope they deliver.

Terror missions are really fun and tense.

Endemic

Arcane
Game is great, I'm enjoying this a lot. Deserved masterpiece reputation. I'd wish modern XCOM had ballistics and TU. Now I'm going to be watching Phoenix point development closely, and I hope they deliver.

Terror missions are really fun and tense.

You should try Terror from the Deep then ;)

Covenant

Savant
I can't confirm whether its well-polished yet

I can
It's not, you're still fighting 100 zombies in a field in order to stay afloat. (unless you do those month 1 UFO captures, but even then you'll have to do some of that shit to keep your score positive)

Been playing X-COM Files lately and I can re-confirm the above is still true as of the latest version. I had fun, but the fun was most definitely interspersed with tedious missions full of letting a squad of newbies take reaction shots across a field filled with 40 scorpions/giant rats/zombies. It's strange, the issue seems easily solved - just buff the gym. And nerf assassins.

My run came to an end early in 1999 when, while enroute to a landed/crashed UFO, another UFO suddenly came on an intercept course and blew the fuck out of my Skyranger, killing everyone on board. It's been years since I played the original X-COM but I never remember that shit happening. I'm guessing it's a mod addition, but I can't understand why it wouldn't occur to the modder to warn that this is a possibility.

That's one area Piratez really handles well - there's a whole wealth of information easily available on the game mechanics and on things to watch out for. It's a shame some of the pointless 'Dossier' research you get from live captives in X-COM Files wasn't replaced with something similar. Seriously, what is the point of all those shitty dossiers? Who is that for? It's like some godawful Kickstarter backer shit.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Has anyone tried World of Terrifying Silence?
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5566.0.html
index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Looks interesting but I'm wary of going for another openxcom mod that doesn't appear very finished.

lightbane

Arcane
I think that one is quite finished, seeing that it's version 2.0+, not 0.96h-something.

I tried it a little and it seems fully playable. Not as big as Piratez or X-Files, of course (speaking of the latter, update is incoming).

Could have sworn I clicked that link and saw it as 0.96h-something. Weird. Guess I'll give it a shot sometime.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://openxcom.mod.io/the-great-war-of-the-worlds
The Great War of the Worlds

an alternate history Total Conversion by the Inventorum Development Team

Set in an alternate timeline where the Martians of the H.G. Wells masterpiece really invaded Earth in 1896.
Swept by bacteria, the invasion came to an end just a couple of weeks after it started.
Humanity united and rebuilt and prepared for the worst. 12 years later, the mankind's worst nightmares came true. In 1908 the Martians launched a second invasion, this time more deadly.
Since they crash landed in Tungunska, their progress has been almost unstoppable.
From the Siberian tundra to the African jungle and the American Midwest, half of the world belongs to the Sons of Ares
What remains of the humanity united under the banner of the Coalition of Nations and have gone on the offensive.
Your unit is one of elite, formed with the best that the armies of the world have, the International Expeditionary Force.
The year is 1914.
This is the War to End All Wars.
TOGETHER WE STAND

tapatalk_1555215913007.jpeg

tapatalk_1555215922526.jpeg

tapatalk_1555215930453.jpeg
tapatalk_1555215988985.jpeg

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Good to see the trusty X-Piratez sabre ready to slash alien butt no matter the time period.

Mod sounds cool, will check out.

Citizen

It's in very early stage of development, though, if the page on mod.io is to be believed. I still need to finish piratez at least once before jumping into the next one

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Yup. Mine is near the end but at this point I haven't played in a few months (Eador Genesis with New Horizons consumed me) so I'll probably start a new campaign which I won't finish.

lightbane

Arcane
It's in very early stage of development, though, if the page on mod.io is to be believed. I still need to finish piratez at least once before jumping into the next one

I would recommend Xcom-Files instead. It's near completion and not bloated with content like Piratez, but to each his own.

Covenant

Savant
https://openxcom.mod.io/oxce-forced-bughunt

Newly released AND MUST HAVE mod, for your sanity's sake.

I always have mixed feelings about mods like that, ones which fix or ameliorate annoying problems with the game.

It's good in the short term, but inevitably it seems to be that when those tools exist, all chance of actually fixing the problem completely dies. Whenever anyone from that point complains about X - X in this case being how tedious it can be to find the last couple of enemies trapped somewhere on a map, but it can be nearly anything - they're just told to stfu and download the mod. It never gets fixed in the base game, and only a subset of players will ever use mods.

ToME's a great example of this; the way Adventurer parties were implemented is silly and just slows down overland travel for no benefit, but whenever people bring up removing or revamping them, the criticism is just met with 'There's a mod for that'.

A mod's better than nothing, but surely it's better for the dev in question to sort the issue out themselves.

https://openxcom.mod.io/oxce-forced-bughunt

Newly released AND MUST HAVE mod, for your sanity's sake.

I always have mixed feelings about mods like that, ones which fix or ameliorate annoying problems with the game.

It's good in the short term, but inevitably it seems to be that when those tools exist, all chance of actually fixing the problem completely dies. Whenever anyone from that point complains about X - X in this case being how tedious it can be to find the last couple of enemies trapped somewhere on a map, but it can be nearly anything - they're just told to stfu and download the mod. It never gets fixed in the base game, and only a subset of players will ever use mods.

ToME's a great example of this; the way Adventurer parties were implemented is silly and just slows down overland travel for no benefit, but whenever people bring up removing or revamping them, the criticism is just met with 'There's a mod for that'.

A mod's better than nothing, but surely it's better for the dev in question to sort the issue out themselves.

Ya know, I think after 25 years Mythos Games isn't going to fix this part of X-Com.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom