Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline 2019: Which genre has the most integrity left?

2019: Which genre has the most integrity left?

• FPS

• TPS/Action

• RTS

• TBS (4X included)

• Sports/Racing

• RPG

• Sim/Manager

• Platformer

• Beat 'em up / Fighting games

• Adventure (Point & click included)

Results are only viewable after voting.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I think fighting games are intact - gameplay-wise I mean because they happended to be perfect territory for shady practices like microtransactions, selling popular characters as DLC etc.

Not sure but I think there's plenty of that stuff in the new MK games

Martyr

Arcane
I voted for adventure games. not necessarily because of point & click adventures, I can sort of see the decline there.
I had an itch to play Observer. Have you played it? Is it a walking sim or are there actually things to figure out?

sorry, I have not played it yet.
although the discount is pretty high right now (60% on gog summer sale), I'm waiting for an even bigger discount. I somewhat liked Layers of Fear, but it wasn't nearly as scary as I hoped it would be. so mildly pessimistic about this developer and the price for Observer is still to high for my lowered expectations.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I keep almost buying Observer because I love cyberpunk, but everything I have read says it's mostly a walking sim with only rare and very easy puzzles, and also that it relies mostly on jump scares which I'm not a fan of.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
TBS/Grand Strat/4X.

Strategy games are the last genre we're even pretending AREN'T made and marketed to middle aged women or knuckle draggers.

I'd give flight sims a second vote, but they're pretty much KIA.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
How the hell is TBS in the lead?

Because there's a lot of good TBS games coming out? I don't know about 4x at all really, but stuff like the Xcom reboots, Mutant Year Zero, Blackguards, Shadowruns, Banner Saga... these are well reviewed and popular with old and new fans alike, in my experience.

Sim/Manager - Constrained to a small niche so not really relevant

Simulators - why are they disqualified because of being niche? You could actually say they are only ones getting better all the time because of their nature being tied to the tech which is improving all the time. And they also do not really rely on game design. You can do pretty advanced shit in Wolfpack, Kerbal Space Program or hugely modded ARMA 3 (that you could not do in 2 because they improved engine). Even something like Spintires, while not strictly sim, had lot of things simulated pretty acurately and directly tied to gameplay - can you imagine playing game like that 20 or 30 years ago?

I do not see any decline in sim genre. I guess it depends on what exactly you mean by integrity.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
metroidvania is also a good contender. always have something small, or medium sized. castlevania series itself declined after the NDS games, but smaller stuff like shantae, and other stuff and recently hollow knight. the amount of games aren't that much, but it seems like any developer who are willing to make such games is passionate about the genre and usually put out at least decent games

Silentstorm

Learned
Platformers seem to be doing pretty well all things considered, sure they aren't always as big as Super Mario World, but they can have a lot of different themes, settings and styles of their own with no one complaining, and every now and then, one game in that genre gets suprisingly popular.

Shumps are pretty much the same, though there are a lot of recent ones with art styles i dislike(not talking about anime styles, just really damn lousy art design), they are still being made, they are still fast paced and hard, and the general idea of a ship or character going forwards while dodging and blowing up shit has been the same as always.

But since you can't pick that option, i am going to say adventure games, a lot of them are still being made and you have your classic point'n click games next to Myst-like games, they aren't mainstream, but they still exist, though very few seem to actually base themselves on old Sierra games.

rohand

Cipher
I'd say that Grand Strategies are flourishing somewhat because there's no way to make them less complex without changing the genre - I believe that'd be TBS?

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I was expecting RTS to be placed far higher. There are too few of them, sure, but what's the problem with their integrity?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom