Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Curratum

The shitposters known as Frajaq, Auraculum and Curratum should be summarily tagged as "dumbfucks" for their impudent utterings against the Vancian magic system!

At the very least I'm not pretending to be a woman, and that an overusage of adjectives constitutes good writing.

I don't think anyone in here actually believes Lilura is a genetic female.

frajaq

Erudite
Ability economy in BG3 should go with either:
1) Cooldown-based
2) Abilities separated by At-Will/Per-Encounter (with hopefully some horizontal growth instead of purely vertical)

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's not really that russky-junky anymore. I fully expected that so didn't play it until after it had been out for more than a year, even though isometric Pathfinder is basically my dream game. And at least when I played it, jank was down to a minimum. It's actually impressive how well stuff works considering the insane wealth of stuff implemented.

In my mind PF's biggest problem is that they implemented things with too few changes, meaning high level encounters are either a complete walkover or use "cheap mechanics" that can only be overcome with great patience or using exploits yourself.

I dunno, felt like hordes of trash encounters over and over. And with power levels of encounters and player characters being all over the place they would be either super difficult or super easy and boring. My gameplay was buffing all the animal companions then running over everything with them. And it got so boring... doesn't make for a good game imo.

turkishronin

Arcane
The shitposters known as Frajaq, Auraculum and Curratum should be summarily tagged as "dumbfucks" for their impudent utterings against the Vancian magic system!

At the very least I'm not pretending to be a woman, and that an overusage of adjectives constitutes good writing.

I don't think anyone in here actually believes Lilura is a genetic female.

Is there any other kind of female, other than genetic?

Being a woman is a state of mind

hell bovine

Arcane
this is the codex, of course there are no women here:

6247adb2246967da2f448375fc07e3b5.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Vancian system is best system. Not complex, makes logical sense, casting spells should not be easy and should not be able to spam. If you spam rest (and game allows you to spam rest0 that is the game's fault not the magic system's fault. Should be simple. Can only rest once per 24 hours. Case closed.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interview with silhouettes:

02:04 - Mike Mearls mentions Neverwinter MMO as a contrast to BG3, in that while the former uses usual MMO system with cooldown with some inspirations from the tabletop ruleset, BG3 uses the tabletop ruleset as a starting point. Does this imply BG3 won't have cooldowns?
aliens.png

03:05 - Interviewer asks a straight question: will BG3 plays different with D:OS 2? And as expected Swen does not give a straight answer saying "it depends on how you look at it" and both games are similar in the sense that game gives player many systems and player use them to overcome challenges. :?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Btw, I honestly can't think of that many examples of "systems the player can use to overcome challenges". Talking with animals, teleportation, crafting shit, moving crates, environmental combos, anything else?

Dodo1610

Arcane
The only thing I learned from the BG3 Steam forum is that there are actually human beings that liked Dark Alliance, sadly these guys will be the only ones who will enjoy BG3

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
All magic systems have their drawbacks:
The vancian system encourages you to either use the same generic damage spells everytime

Wow, you are fucking retarded. The only good use of a mage at lower levels is to cast spells like Horror, Web, Color Spray, Grease, Sleep, Dispel, Monster Summoning.. and only an occasional use of fireballs or magic missile to 'rrupt somebody.
Since when has Fireball become a lower level mage spell?
I tried both loadout through several 3.5 PnP campaigns, and the blast spell selection has been much more useful.
Fireball can be useful in some situations. Haste is useful in all situations.
And the most underrated school is illusion, if the DM is not a wargammer, its the most powerful school. it allows considerable roleplay opportunites and out of the box stuff.
It is a good school for a P&P game not for a PC game where you will kill the enemy anyway.

Also, I'm a better writer than you, enjoy more fame than you, and have better taste than you.
And more insane than most codexers ;). Never change Lilura.

Sentinel

Arcane
This Facebook guy on the E3 Gamespot stream talking about building safe spaces in gaming communities... his description of the AI that reads what you're typing and decides if it's offensive, and then doesn't let you post it if it is... that's some scary fucking shit. AI reading your input before you even send the message.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom