Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Update #38: Combat Demo Update #5 - Quest Dialogue Sample

Egosphere

Arcane
You could just as easily just assign names to each side, at which point you surely wouldn't argue that "rolling a Johnny" is a close call instead of "rolling a Bethany", despite it being the same thing.

The set of natural numbers is partially ordered

Murk

Arcane
71 isn't closer than 96 tho, that's my point. This isn't like stacking damage where doing 99% damage is "almost dead" and 100% damage "is dead" -- that is a true linear system. The rolls of a die are not linear and whatever numbers are arbitrary. Even in a literal d100, the numbers aren't even in a line
You keep missing the point. Yes, the rolls aren't linear and nobody claimed they are. Yes, from the perspective of rolls and probabilities, there's no difference between 31 and 99. Should we spend the next two pages restating the obvious over and over again?

Well we are on the codex, so yes please.

Actually today is much busier at work, so I wouldn't have the time, but I'm glad we agree.

You could just as easily just assign names to each side, at which point you surely wouldn't argue that "rolling a Johnny" is a close call instead of "rolling a Bethany", despite it being the same thing.

The set of natural numbers is partially ordered

Sure, and left-handed and right-handed dice go in different directions (and apparently the poles of a d100 are less likely to show up).

Last edited:

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Based solely on feels, a graze feels worse to me than a miss cause it feels like I scored a hit but it was deemed a shitty hit. And when I'm hit with a graze it feels like the enemy rolled a miss but ended up hitting me anyway.

Egosphere

Arcane
and left-handed and right-handed dice go in different directions (and apparently the poles of a d100 are less likely to show up).

but the difference goes deeper than that

A weird trick of psychology to view d100 outcomes as linear, in that "30 = hit, 31 = miss" is interpreted as "close call" when in reality the numbers assigned are arbitrary.

Suppose there are two systems: a 100 sided die, and a hat with 100 papers with a unique name on each one. Suppose that we know that one of the systems is biased and will not function properly. We roll the die 5 times and get [2,4,5,1,3]. We then pick a paper from the hat 5 times (replacing the one we've picked each time before the next pick) and get [Stacy, Becky, Chad, Tom, Bill]. What's the probability that the die is biased? And the hat?

Murk

Arcane
and left-handed and right-handed dice go in different directions (and apparently the poles of a d100 are less likely to show up).

but the difference goes deeper than that

A weird trick of psychology to view d100 outcomes as linear, in that "30 = hit, 31 = miss" is interpreted as "close call" when in reality the numbers assigned are arbitrary.

Suppose there are two systems: a 100 sided die, and a hat with 100 papers with a unique name on each one. Suppose that we know that one of the systems is biased and will not function properly. We roll the die 5 times and get [2,4,5,1,3]. We then pick a paper from the hat 5 times (replacing the one we've picked each time before the next pick) and get [Stacy, Becky, Chad, Tom, Bill]. What's the probability that the die is biased? And the hat?

I understand what you're getting at, and I'm familiar with how numbers are distributed across dice (actually the specific pattern for d100 was unkown to me, but I am familiar with the approaches used for say a d6 or d20.)

In that case it's much easier to tell that the die is producing numbers from the low end at a rate that we wouldn't expect (though with 5 observations it could just be freak chance; but unlikely). This is all assuming the distribution and "roll/shake" for the die/hat are fair.

All of this is kind of beside the point for pRNG in a game though, since it doesn't use a physical die. I do see how me saying "the numbers assigned are arbitrary" was incorrect, or imprecise, but I meant it in the context of the game's rolls and not the physical placement of them on a die. That was my bad.

Out of curiosity, what is your background btw?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't need the mood to be spelled out for me, I want you to make me feel it.

Absolutely agree with this.
Don't like it when it spelled right into your forehead, I like when it's remain not spoken, but understandable from a context.
Figure of paralipsis?

But let Vince make his own game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom