Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
I legitimately got more excited reading some of the new information. It's clearly a step ahead of TW3 in terms of RPG elements but I'm still bothered by the annoying protagonist.
The V they've been showing is a total faggot. Hopefully that's a result of the way choices have defined his/her character and not the base personality.

Who cares? Female character is the way

Herumor

Scholar
They managed to optimise The Witcher 3 for all platforms and we are bringing this experience to this project.

I.e. expect a downgrade from everything we've been shown. Raytracing probably won't even make that big of a difference.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
D84h2RgWwAAxso6.jpg

D84h_h-W4AEbZJz.jpg

D84iA7vXoAgW3g7.jpg

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
In my experience, 1st person makes you feel like a horse with blinders because the FOV of the screen is more narrow than what a normal man has. 3rd person fixes that, but also makes every scene a little more demanding on the hardware, and allows you to cheat by peeking around corners without presenting a target. Generally 3rd person is better in more open environments and 1st person should normally be more suitable for a game set in a city. Especially if the game's story revolves so much around body modifications, transhumanism, etc. Also, it's one thing to be crawling through ventilation shafts or jumping into sewers from 3rd person and another to be doing it from 1st person.

There used to be console games where FOV wouldn't go over 60 degrees years back but at this point any game that adds first person view tends to also put a FOV slider, so this is not an issue.

The other thing is that this is supposed to be a shooter. If it was a melee action game like witcher 3, sure, you can play third person. Fuck third person shooters, most of which invariably devolve into cover based game.

Pegultagol

Erudite
So the game is going to support RTX, and this is going to be an nVidia sponsored title.

:negative:

So for all the talk of no DRMs and no platform exclusivity and such they go ahead bend over to proprietary tech implementation to limit us poor plebs/cucks whose only claim to raytracing is butthurt tears tracing salt on our faces to second rate visuals and hand me down experiences.

Well for sure I will be 'testing' the product very thoroughly to see if the requirements can attest to certain level of 'acceptable' graphical fidelity. ;)

Sentinel

Arcane
Witcher 3 already had an NVIDIA partnership. You can just not enable it. And CP2077 won't even have RTX GI, just reflections.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Nothing but a 2080ti can run a ray traced modern AAA game at a reasonable frame rate, and i'm not even sure 2080ti owners, most of whom probably also have 144hz 4k gaming monitors and such, probably think the "improvements" are worth the massive loss in performance.

Ray tracing is a scam because what made this technology unfeasible until now was the massive performance hit and they haven't solved that issue at all. I'd bet anything software run ray tracing won't be much far off from ray tracing run on whatever fancy hardware module they put on those cards, if at all.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So the game is going to support RTX, and this is going to be an nVidia sponsored title.

:negative:

So for all the talk of no DRMs and no platform exclusivity and such they go ahead bend over to proprietary tech implementation to limit us poor plebs/cucks whose only claim to raytracing is butthurt tears tracing salt on our faces to second rate visuals and hand me down experiences.

Well for sure I will be 'testing' the product very thoroughly to see if the requirements can attest to certain level of 'acceptable' graphical fidelity. ;)

it's going to support raytracing.

RTX is not raytracing, nor raytracing is propietary, AMD can release whenever they want GPU's with raytracing support, but they decided to not do it yet. But, as next gen consoles will have raytracing and an amd GPU, you can expect something from them next year. Same for intel GPU probably

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Graphic fidelity is futile. If you want realistic graphics, look around. Artstyle is all that matters and the graphic fidelity arms race is part of the reason why AAA+ companies are so hellbent on this race to bottom in everything else.

That's arguable, but the problem here is not actually fidelity versus style, but that there's no actual "fidelity" going on in those AAA graphical games. All the effects used in modern games are borrowed from film and photography. You can argue whether it is better to have style over graphical advancement but when it comes to the latter "fidelity" to real life would be a welcome change from what we have now, which is post-processing masturbation with shit filters slapped on top of it.

You wish AAA games were being made to look like real life, but that's not the case at all.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Graphic fidelity is futile. If you want realistic graphics, look around. Artstyle is all that matters and the graphic fidelity arms race is part of the reason why AAA+ companies are so hellbent on this race to bottom in everything else.

That's arguable, but the problem here is not actually fidelity versus style, but that there's no actual "fidelity" going on in those AAA graphical games. All the effects used in modern games are borrowed from film and photography. You can argue whether it is better to have style over graphical advancement but when it comes to the latter "fidelity" to real life would be a welcome change from what we have now, which is post-processing masturbation with shit filters slapped on top of it.

All that post-processing was at first done to mask the low graphic fidelity and often for consoles to try to replicate movies to be "cinematic", why all games need to be "cinematic" is beyond me except that cinema as a visual media had more legitimacy. Nowadays games add stuff like motion blur in 3rd person, depth of field that makes the game seem as if you are underwater, everything glowing as if your screen has been glazed. So tasteless.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

I mean, I don't know. If even a simulated raytracing like this reshade can enhance the art style of a game so much, I really can't imagine what a proper raytracing global illumination could do

Leaving the buggy snow area aside, on some scenes it looks like the fucking VGX trailer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom