Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why disagree with factz?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They don't care about grognards and 'veteran BG players' or their (our) opinions. Why? They likely already have 99% of our money anyways. Their goal is to convince others to buy it. They know D&D nerds ar elikely to buy it because of the D&D label same with BGers. It is why they don't have cater to our 'wants'. They likely already got us... well.. most of us...

If theyw ere to cut dwarves... FUKK EM. No money from me. L0LZ

True. I also wonder if they've been sitting on the BG rights these past years while waiting for the next big RPG to come along (W3, Skyrim, Mordor) to show them what to do with it. Far easier to tell the powers that be you're going to go with the model of game that made those Polish guys truck loads of money, than with those Russian guys who made a well recieved spiritual successor.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I wasn't able to follow this discussion and E3 much, soooo...Is there any information about actual gameplay or people still fabulously or violently edgy about BG 3 without actual information?
They are "adapting" rules, he dont like hit chances, he dont like vancian system cause its not intuitive for the mainstream. Extremely shy about gameplay during interview . Team is huge and you can see on belgian tv they were working on facial animations.Google stadia : xbox controller .Those are the hard facts , its not leading towards anything good.
These are not exactly "hard" facts, they are picked out phrases without context.
He didn't say for example that he "doesn't like hit chances" but that you "miss a lot" in DnD. That can be simply interpreted into the integration of a "Graze" system like PoE2 has or "The Colony Ship" will have.
Also they are clearly trying to stay as close to 5E as possible as stated in the recent interview available in here.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
No I'm just trying to bring some logic in the thread.
At times it seems that people in here are predetermined that the game will suck and try to find anything that slightly confirms that. That's stupid and there's no reason for it - so far

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Seriously though, I'm not even saying to be OPTIMISTIC. I have no info for or against that. I'm just providing counter arguments to the depressive theories that go around in here, for basically no reason other than the usual Codex pessimism/shitting on everything

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
Larian has 300 people working on the game, which is pretty deep in AAA territory. They also vehemently refuse to talk about gameplay, which shouldn't be a problem if it stayed largely unchanged.

Maybe I am too pessimistic, but I believe the chances are very high that BG3 will have more in common with Dragon Age: Inquisition or Destiny than Baldur's Gate 2.

Thonius

Arcane
Interview with silhouettes:

02:04 - Mike Mearls mentions Neverwinter MMO as a contrast to BG3, in that while the former uses usual MMO system with cooldown with some inspirations from the tabletop ruleset, BG3 uses the tabletop ruleset as a starting point. Does this imply BG3 won't have cooldowns?
aliens.png

03:05 - Interviewer asks a straight question: will BG3 plays different with D:OS 2? And as expected Swen does not give a straight answer saying "it depends on how you look at it" and both games are similar in the sense that game gives player many systems and player use them to overcome challenges. :?

It looks like those 90's informant interview...

Sharpedge

Prophet
In order to be inclusive of all player types, Swen will bamboozle us all with the first ever game that is not only RTwP and TB, but also feature an RTS mode where you conquer the forgotten realms which can be switched at will to a 4x turn based game, a dragon racing simulator, the very first of its kind and an action combat game. To top it all off there will even be a collectable card game called Baldur's Gate 3: The Gathering of the Party.

Last edited:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Larian has 300 people working on the game, which is pretty deep in AAA territory. They also vehemently refuse to talk about gameplay, which shouldn't be a problem if it stayed largely unchanged.

Maybe I am too pessimistic, but I believe the chances are very high that BG3 will have more in common with Dragon Age: Inquisition or Destiny than Baldur's Gate 2.

No, they won't ride that way. Expect D:OS3 with different visual identity than D:OS2.

In order to be inclusive of all player types, Swen will bamboozle us all with the first ever game that is not only RTwP and TB, but also feature an RTS mode where you conquer the forgotten realms which can be switched at will to a 4x turn based game, a dragon racing simulator, the very first of its kind and an action combat game. To top it all off there will even be a collectable card game called Baldur's Gate: The Gathering of the party.

Swen Vincke : "Challenge accepted!"

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Keeping criticism to what was actually said and using speculation as such would be a wiser approach.

No need to push every incoherent nonsense they said into absurd extremes and use that as facts. what was said is bad enough on itself.
So, they did not say they will remove "vancian magic system" entirely, but that they are trying to change how the "spell slots" mechanic works - for entirely idiotic reason.

Mortmal

Arcane
I wasn't able to follow this discussion and E3 much, soooo...Is there any information about actual gameplay or people still fabulously or violently edgy about BG 3 without actual information?
They are "adapting" rules, he dont like hit chances, he dont like vancian system cause its not intuitive for the mainstream. Extremely shy about gameplay during interview . Team is huge and you can see on belgian tv they were working on facial animations.Google stadia : xbox controller .Those are the hard facts , its not leading towards anything good.
These are not exactly "hard" facts, they are picked out phrases without context.
He didn't say for example that he "doesn't like hit chances" but that you "miss a lot" in DnD. That can be simply interpreted into the integration of a "Graze" system like PoE2 has or "The Colony Ship" will have.
Also they are clearly trying to stay as close to 5E as possible as stated in the recent interview available in here.
No he said if we keep the miss chances like this you are going to hate me. In a turned based , hating him ? Why so, the only reason it could happen is its real time.And again they are trying to be as close as possible to the lore, not the rules as they "dont work for a videogame".

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Interview with silhouettes:

02:04 - Mike Mearls mentions Neverwinter MMO as a contrast to BG3, in that while the former uses usual MMO system with cooldown with some inspirations from the tabletop ruleset, BG3 uses the tabletop ruleset as a starting point. Does this imply BG3 won't have cooldowns?
aliens.png

03:05 - Interviewer asks a straight question: will BG3 plays different with D:OS 2? And as expected Swen does not give a straight answer saying "it depends on how you look at it" and both games are similar in the sense that game gives player many systems and player use them to overcome challenges. :?

It looks like those 90's informant interview...

according to the comments, their journo didn't have any camera experience.

probably just shot it on a cell phone and didn't pay attention to the open window.

surprisingly, this could actually be salvaged. even a premier pro n00b like me could at least make it watchable. maybe someone more experienced could do more.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What would be the point? audio is enough and there isnt anything interesting in it most probably.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I wonder if I will be able to import my own voice. That would be cool.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I prefer a restrictive mana system that attempts to capture the strengths of vancian casting. Low level and/or weaker spells costing near trivial mana, say 1/500. Higher level and/or stronger spells being significantly higher. But recasting the same spell more than once per day adds to the mana cost, chance of failure, self inflicted status effect, etc. to encourage more strategic decision making and higher risk if the player relies on only a handful of spells instead of using a variety. It gives a better scaling magic system for consumables or partial resting while maintaining a need to use magic proportional to the fight. Tactical spell use is encouraged by having increased risk, strategy punishes inefficiency from repeated poor decision making and over-reliance on a handful of spells while maintaining the ability to do so if the player judges it worth doing.
Only it doesnt make sense and seems forced. Basic logic and common sense would demand that second time casting of the same spell is the same or even easier - if there is enough magic resource anyway.
Self inflicted status would only make sense for some specific spells.
Also, it forces variety even if it doesnt make sense situationally and punishes the player for using spells that make sense in any specific situation or against specific enemy.

Another way to encourage the use of "situational spells" would be to make some spells stronger in some environments (ie, cold spells stronger in snowy areas, or horror/sleep spells stronger at night...)
Thats how you force players to always use same spells in same situations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom