Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3 remake)

Okagron

Prophet
I'm just glad the original is finally in the west instead of being stuck in the "Square Enix refuses to release this game outside of Japan" list. Plus the remake looks interesting, might give it a try.

Falksi

Arcane
Personally I think the original is actually quite overrated. It's an OK game, but it gets very old & very predictable very quickly.

Glad to see the remake. Hopefully they will improve upon the original.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think 2 (Secret of Mana) is probably more fun because of all the different weapons and the great music that keeps it really catchy all the way through. But I still hold this one in high regard.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Luckily for those who were worried (or not), the original Super Famicom release of SD3 has also been retranslated. And it has already been leaked and is perfectly playable on emulators.

jungl

Augur
this looks exactly the same exact game but now fully 3D. Vissually better then secret of mana. So if you don't care about visuals you should just play the snes ones.

Ent

Savant
Combat seems to play out differently in the remake. Theres jumping, combos and input specific special attacks.

Hassar

Scholar
Personally I think the original is actually quite overrated. It's an OK game, but it gets very old & very predictable very quickly.

Glad to see the remake. Hopefully they will improve upon the original.

I agree. I actually played through SD3 when I was way younger and thought the first SoM/SD2 was more interesting. Some of the character designs are just bad and all of them are basically generic stereotypes. Passing on this with the full understanding that I am not the target demo.

Arkeus

Arcane
I don't think it will devalue upgrade system just with the capacity to switch weapons.

Anyway, looking at the video a lot of differences stood out. Much smoother gameplay, jumps are a thing 'tells' of bosses are a thing, you can 'reserve' the bars for the specials, there is a no 'agility' (which was a dead stat)...

Yeah, looks good.

Ent

Savant
Characters can use mulitple weapon types in the remake? I'm hype.

Eh

That sounds more like it kinda devalues party composition and upgrade system.
I don't think being able to pick from multiple weapons would devalue compositions all that much. The thing that really affected party compositions were the spells unlocked from the class changes. Also, while the devs did state that they would be doing something to address characters being locked to one type of weapon all game the actual character selection screen doesn't actually state that they can use anything other than their default weapons - my guess is that the character will have variants on their base weapons with slightly different movesets rather than being able to wield a different weapon class altogether such as Kevin using slashing attacks when equipping claws as opposed to regular punches when using knuckles and gloves.

Last edited:

Ent

Savant
Nice! Class changing is confirmed to be back and they aren't just palette swaps anymore.

deuxhero

Arcane
Hopefully class paths are actually balanced this time around. In the original one or two of the four was far and away better than the others for most characters. Also hope they're less opaque about what the hell they actually do.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Back in the day this was the holy grail of the fan translation community. I remember playing the Japanese version with a walkthrough, something I've never done for any other game.

Pretty interesting that they are keeping the multiple characters and storylines, which character you pick changes the main villain, plot, and end boss. That kind of replayability is rare nowadays.

Cat Dude

Savant
I don't know why japanese games always have such outdated characters animation. It is not 2004 anymore. Even Pro Evolution Soccer struggled with this until 2014.

Hyperion

Arcane
I think 2 (Secret of Mana) is probably more fun because of all the different weapons and the great music that keeps it really catchy all the way through. But I still hold this one in high regard.
Music was way better, weapon variety was more fun, but the attack charging system drew out battles too much / weren't really worth it, especially if the enemy cast magic. You were a sitting duck slowly creepin' while you watched a bar fill. SD3's revamped combat system was incredible, though its implementation did favor Kevin and Hawk's dual attack a bit too much. The latter wasn't a problem since he wasn't that strong physically, but Kevin (esp at night) was obscene. Particularly in those few areas that were perma-night, which put him in wolf form for the whole dungeon.

Ent

Savant
Hopefully class paths are actually balanced this time around. In the original one or two of the four was far and away better than the others for most characters. Also hope they're less opaque about what the hell they actually do.
A functioning luck stat and working critical hits should at least make Hawks Light classes much better - especially the wanderer who had all the makings for being a great physical unit focused on crits while also having great support skills but was shafted by the bugs. Duran's knight path will also probably heavily benefit from having working shields.

Ent

Savant
Seiken Densetsu 3 was rushed and broken in all sorts of ways getting an actual remake of it is probably pretty welcome in place of some HD port.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom