Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also is it just me or having Keanu Reeves in Cyberpunk put anyone else out of the setting and the game too? The guy plays one role and I can't help but feel like a side character in John Wick or Matrix.

You'll have to watch his face for so long that at some point the brain doesn't give a fuck and you'll think Reeves looks like Silverhand and not the other way around

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nope, he is a great spirit and a hero of Cyberpunk genre in general. No one better then him for that role.
Thats what the first game footage missed, a strong presence of a strong character.

They also removed almost all behind times "punks" with mohawks from this presentation (although maybe not from the game entirely) which makes it look more futuristic instead of 70s retro future. Good calls all around.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Better, Future unavoidably has elements of the past in it, but they shouldn't be more then elements. This is an established setting already so it doesnt make much sense to turn it into some other kind of setting.

Intentionally creating a retro futuristic setting from scratch is another thing.

Danikas

Arcane
72jKjRT.jpg

sullynathan

Arcane
Red dead redemption 2 already did it well.

Never played that shit, but if it's anything like GTA i wouldn't call that "done well" even remotely.
It's a hell of a lot better because it was built with first & 3rd person in mind

This is a wasted conversation but both first person and third person can work in a shooting open world game. Red dead redemption 2 already did it well. Since the combat of cyberpunk won't be that good, you wouldn't lose much by having both
Shooting was shit in Rdr 2, what are you smoking?
That's not the point of my post. The shooting was shit, the switching between perspective was not. Hence, the latter can be handled well in a game.

On the shooting being shit, R* only has one game where the shooting is good so RDR2 shooting being shit isn't surprising. CDPR has no games with good shooting though so much wouldn't be lost by switching perspectives.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wait, there's melee in Red Dead Redemption? Isn't that the game where you play a cowboy, or what am i missing here?

Sentinel

Arcane
Yes there is a melee combat system, with grappling and throwing people through windows.

And RDR really has nothing to do with GTA. In terms of effort put into it, at this point RDR is Rockstar's primordial child, while GTA is their cow.

Gerrard

Arcane
Nothing but a 2080ti can run a ray traced modern AAA game at a reasonable frame rate, and i'm not even sure 2080ti owners, most of whom probably also have 144hz 4k gaming monitors and such, probably think the "improvements" are worth the massive loss in performance.

Ray tracing is a scam because what made this technology unfeasible until now was the massive performance hit and they haven't solved that issue at all. I'd bet anything software run ray tracing won't be much far off from ray tracing run on whatever fancy hardware module they put on those cards, if at all.
Raytracing is a scam because they are using it for pointless garbage like "now you can see your reflection in a spoon on the table!" instead of actually making better lighting.
Reminder that lighting and shadows in games today are not any better, and sometimes worse, than nearly 10 years ago.

sullynathan

Arcane
Wait, there's melee in Red Dead Redemption? Isn't that the game where you play a cowboy, or what am i missing here?
yes, with knives, machetes and unarmed first and 3rd person. If you're a story fag that also likes open world stuff, you'll like it. t's slow and boring though, gameplay isn't much to write home about.

ADL

Prophet
So how can you have a "photo mode " for a first person game if the 3rd person and first person views are not unified like in the Star Citizen engine?
Isn't it? If you look down, you see your feet and if you look in the mirror you see your character.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Got happy when I read they added stealth, but then I saw they still have npc levels. Would prefer them going full Deus Ex instead of arbitrary levels that make some cyberbandits stronger.
Need that hamster wheel to keep the hamsters thinking they are going somewhere, son.

Keppo

Arbiter
I like how everyone ignored the RPS article saying the combat isn't good to focus on tranny shit.

He said that the gunplay feels bad or something, he didnt play it so its his opinion from watching it, we can already judge it ourselves watching the last year demo. Some of the weapons feels like have more weight to them than others. For example i feel like shotguns they nailed, and the rifles or pistols they need to have more work. At the end of the day the shooting definitely wont be as good as AAA FPS shooters like Call of Duty, but then we have tons of other options to engage in combat encounters this time, in Witcher 3 we had only unpolished sword combat and some other supporting stuff to the sword combat like signs or bombs.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I like how everyone ignored the RPS article saying the combat isn't good to focus on tranny shit.

We have known that gunplay is kinda janky since the actual first gameplay video reveal though
It looked no worse than any other middle of the road gunplay. The thing that bothered me about the combat was the reliance on time-slowing mechanics as a major feature. Outer Worlds has fetishized (I hereby motion to make "fetishized" our new buzzword, and to use it even when it doesn't make sense) time-slowing mechanics too.

RTWP has even infested FPS beyond Fallout 3 it seems.

is keanu reeeves the garrus of cyberpunk 2077

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom