Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

Silentstorm

Learned
It's also worth mentioning that old CRPG's don't have the big audience or nostalgia factor of a Mario or other console games, at least i think that's the case, so there is less incentive to make a full blown remake.

At that point, a remaster is a good way to let the spirit of the original still be present while modernizing the game with less work while still attracting the same niche audience.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I hope this isn't too heretical of me, but asking me to pick up a physical book and turn to a certain page every time there's text to be read is kind of a big UI issue for me in 2019. We need to get with the times and accept that floppies can store an entire 1.44mb these days.

It's also worth mentioning that old CRPG's don't have the big audience or nostalgia factor of a Mario or other console games

Also the turboautists who want to play the same game for 30,000 hours of their life are more drawn to console games. Somehow we don't have a Chris Chan of Wasteland.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
hope this isn't too heretical of me, but asking me to pick up a physical book and turn to a certain page every time there's text to be read is kind of a big UI issue for me in 2019. We need to get with the times and accept that floppies can store an entire 1.44mb these days.
This was already taken care of with the previous re-release they did, BTW.

Silentstorm

Learned
Pretty much, i guess this is to make it even more acessible or see if they can trick some people to buy the new hyper mega ultimate version of Wasteland 1.

Morkar Left

I'm actually looking forward to it. The first "remaster" was already pretty good. If they put it up to the standard of the BT remasters I'm all in!

Silentstorm

Learned
Escape from Hell.
No joke, i would love such a thing, how more games like that haven't been made is beyond me actually.

Anyways, i hope this is sucessful enough that more people start remastering old CRPG or old computer games, i wouldn't mind Dragon Wars getting a remaster for example.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, there's a lot of old old old games I would like to see get just a simple remaster (cough cough Dujnonquest the complete series... and a version of colecovision Gateway to apshai with no timer, clearing levels and going up and down with an actual ending, and blast spell included).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Fargo changed his Twitter profile pic...: https://twitter.com/BrianFargo

PlTkSCx__400x400.jpg

For reference, the original:

6ibvnek.gif

And from the initial remaster:

1WNyxJi.png

Silentstorm

Learned
Hmmm, okay then, it seems there is one more game to get in the future, good to know!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What's sad is i bought the initial remaster and it didn't seem much different that the dozen copies of dos version i have. I bought Dragon Wars as well. God I'm a tool.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, I hope they consider making more changes to the user interface and not just the graphics.

Duckard

Augur
Hmm, I hope they consider making more changes to the user interface and not just the graphics.

Since it's going to be on xbox, they'll probably have to change it at least a bit. Those letter based shortcuts wont work on a gamepad.

It would be cool if they redesigned it so that, when played on a widescreen display, the actual viewing window of the game is the same aspect ratio as the viewing window of the original.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
If they get this closer to the Bard’s Tale Remaster (updated graphics, UI, Save anywhere options, Automap etc) then it will be a very worthwhile purchase indeed...
I have often heard great things about Dragon Age and with a Remastered version I would definitely check it out too

And wouldn’t these games be PERFECT for IOS and Switch?

Sacibengala

Prophet
Can't say that 3D overworld go well with 2d combat graphics. It did not went well with bards tale, in my opinion. It is serviceable, but not ideal.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And here I thought they were going to use the Wasteland 2-3 engine. I mean why the hell not?

Arulan

Cipher
I can't get excited about remakes and remasters. More often than not they're terrible, and alter the design in ways that are highly questionable. I get that for some people it's the only way they'll play an older game though.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Are they gonna make me go into my journal to read what's happening? Are they fucking demented? Making you look shit up in the book was either because of the economics of printing paper vs. floppy disks in the 1980s or as a form of copy protection. This is just mindless busywork to anyone who didn't play the original. And for anyone who did, it's "nostalgia" in the same sense that having someone tie you up and hammer you in the ass is "nostalgia" for your relationship with your uncle.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
If I have to guess, they probably implemented the events described in the paragraphs in-game (with some limited character animation and dialogues? maybe some illustrations?), and used the actual paragraphs as journal entries, thus "You note this in your journal as Paragraph 2" instead of "Read Paragraph 2"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom